I'm not making this up

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
[TWITTER]https://twitter.com/BerniceWBZ/status/1052195655463129088[/TWITTER]

@MassTreasury: Beginning Jan. 1, 2020, every child born or adopted in MA will be eligible for a free $50 deposit into a 529 college savings account. #SeedMABaby

SeedMAbaby.jpg

No. You're ugly.

Yooper

Up. Identified. Lase. Fire. On the way.
Talk about a government program being a waste of money and a government hashtag being absolutely inappropriate.... Seed? Deposit? Surprised no one mentioned that the program would be spermanent. Or that MA didn't rename its 529 accounts G Spots.

--- End of line (MCP)

littlelady

God bless the USA
Talk about a government program being a waste of money and a government hashtag being absolutely inappropriate.... Seed? Deposit? Surprised no one mentioned that the program would be spermanent. Or that MA didn't rename its 529 accounts G Spots.

--- End of line (MCP)

You’re punny. :lol:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

--- End of line (MCP)

:lmao:

littlelady

God bless the USA
In light of the #MeToo movement, the whole PR campaign is actually stunning (and not in a good way).

--- End of line (MCP)

Got to keep a sense of humor in these crazy times. At least, what is ‘left’ of it. How did I do? :smile:

Hijinx

With today's interest rates by the time the kid gets to college that $50 dollars will be $50.dollars and 55 cents.

I bet the banks will love this. Most of those accounts will just lay there until they can take them for not being used..

stgislander

PREMO Member
Most of those accounts will just lay there until they can take them for not being used..

I just had to make a deposit in an out-of-town credit union to keep my account open. Can they do that with 529 accounts?

Chris0nllyn

--- End of line (MCP)

I agree it's a dumb name and sounds like some "Social Media Department" intern wrote it up as a joke on their last day and Oldylocks there thought it was a good slogan.

However, seed money is a very common term.

With today's interest rates by the time the kid gets to college that $50 dollars will be $50.dollars and 55 cents.

I bet the banks will love this. Most of those accounts will just lay there until they can take them for not being used..

The MA 529 plan uses Fidelity-managed mutual funds, index funds, or multi-firm funds with life-of-portfolio returns of 16.44%, 14.55%, and 15.4%, respectively (2036 plan). So, $50 would actually be closer to $400 (give or take)

Yooper

Up. Identified. Lase. Fire. On the way.
I agree it's a dumb name and sounds like some "Social Media Department" intern wrote it up as a joke on their last day and Oldylocks there thought it was a good slogan.

However, seed money is a very common term.

I'm not disputing "seed money" is a common term. However, "Seed MA baby"? As in "Sperm my baby"? A horrible pun/double entendre. Not to mention the sensitivity these days about #MeToo, Kavanaugh, etc. It seems to me to be really tone deaf and rather crass.

--- End o line (MCP)

Chris0nllyn

Yes. How are you? :howdy:

Fair enough. I'm great!

I'm not disputing "seed money" is a common term. However, "Seed MA baby"? As in "Sperm my baby"? A horrible pun/double entendre. Not to mention the sensitivity these days about #MeToo, Kavanaugh, etc. It seems to me to be really tone deaf and rather crass.

--- End o line (MCP)

Gotcha. As I said, it's a dumb slogan and looks like a joke by some outgoing intern that stuck with an out of touch group of politicians.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
Maybe each child under that plan will be guaranteed at least 1,024th of one percent native american heritage and called the EW plan...

officeguy

Most bizarre that the government of a northeastern state that prides itself in education would use a contraction from southern ebonics to promote an educational program.

The MA 529 plan uses Fidelity-managed mutual funds, index funds, or multi-firm funds with life-of-portfolio returns of 16.44%, 14.55%, and 15.4%, respectively (2036 plan). So, $50 would actually be closer to $400 (give or take)

I dont know who actually runs the program, but some of the 529 custodians have been known to deplete their customer accounts through churning and high fees. This was most egregious with 'hands off' customers who had small accounts and didn't take an active role in managing the funds. So yes, if the custodian has low fees, puts the money into one of the fidelity target funds and doesn't get their grubby fingers in it, the 'seeded' kid will have just enough money to pay for 1/4 a credit.

I am all in favor of educational accounts for kids, but 529s just promote the 'college for everyone' myth (as that is pretty much all you can use them for). If someone pursues other educational opportunities like learning a trade, they should be eligible to use the funds balance for the cost of vocational training, tool purchases etc.

BOP

--- End o line (MCP)

I heard they were going to call it the "Who's Your Daddy?" fund, but there's such a thing as too much honesty.