Chicago releases video of shooting

Chris0nllyn

On August 13, the Chicago Police Department issued a press release about the shooting under the letterhead of Superintendent Eddie Johnson:

Preliminary Statement on Police Involved Shooting

10000 block of S. Wood

CHICAGO – On Sunday, August 13, 2017, shortly before 6:00AM, an off-duty Chicago Police Sergeant observed a male subject behaving suspiciously on the 10000 block of S. Wood St. The Sergeant, who was in his personal vehicle at the time, began to question the individual who then became elusive and unresponsive. During questioning by the off-duty Sergeant, the encounter escalated prompting the Sergeant to discharge his service weapon, striking the individual in the arm. The man was transported to an area hospital where he was treated for his injuries and released. At this time, a weapon has not been recovered.
The day after the shooting, Johnson at a press conference essentially echoed the press release, stating that “Officer Muhammad continued to question the man, and the encounter escalated in some way which prompted the off-duty officer to discharge his weapon.”

At the time of the incident, Ricky Hayes was 19 years old, but apart from his height, everything about him was childlike. He is developmentally and intellectually disabled. He looks like a child and has the mind of a child. A ward of the state, he lives with a caretaker in a neighborhood on the far south side of the city.
At roughly 1:25 a.m. on August 13, 2017, his caretaker checked his room and found that he wasn’t there.
At about 5:00 a.m. Muhammad, who was off-duty and was driving his own pick-up truck, saw Hayes and began chasing him. At one point, he drove his truck up on the sidewalk within a few feet of Hayes. Frightened, the boy ran away. The officer continued the pursuit.

Eventually, Hayes stopped running and stood motionless with his hands at his sides on the front lawn of a house.
Muhammad pulled up and stopped roughly 20 feet from Hayes. Sitting in the cab of his truck, he opened fire with his service weapon, striking Hayes in his chest and arm.
When the dispatcher asks what happened, Muhammad replies, “The guy pulled like he was about to pull a gun on me, walked up to the car, and I had to shoot.”
https://theintercept.com/2018/10/16/chicago-police-shooting-video-ricky-hayes/

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
This is an unfortunate incident. In hindsight the kid wasn't a threat to the officer. But given today's climate on the street, the police are uber vigilant. At least the outcome wasn't fatal. I'm not sure how to fix this issue so that cops get to go home to their families at the end of their shifts and their guns are discharged as a last resort.

For every example as the OP, there are just as many where the police hesitate to use deadly force and it ends up in tragedy for the police. Just as there are multiple incidents where the police were a bit trigger happy. I'm reminded of the video where a community agitator(like obama was) participating in hands on police training scenarios. Typical stuff that police run into on a daily basis. In all the scenarios the dude ends up making the incorrect calls. He hesitates when he should be aggressive and is too aggressive when he doesn't need to be. At least in the end he admits that when you have split seconds to make a decision, it's not as easy as it appears in hindsight.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
I found that video I reference in my reply. Note how fast things move. At least the trainee was honest when he gave his assessment of how difficult it is to make split second decisions.

Chris0nllyn

Who were we discussing?

I don't understand why it's so hard to answer a simple question. No one can read your mind, so you'll have to include some details in your posts, as tough as that may be.

I'm not interested in 15 pages of word games. I get what Monello was saying, but your link by no means backs up his claim.

Chris0nllyn

Yep..... One would think the same or stricter rules would apply at home with our own citizens.

Why? Citizens don't care about it and as long as "it's how I was trained",or "I feared for my life", or "in this day and age" is a reasonable justification for shooting an unarmed person you followed around, nothign will change.

black dog

Free America
Why? Citizens don't care about it and as long as "it's how I was trained",or "I feared for my life", or "in this day and age" is a reasonable justification for shooting an unarmed person you followed around, nothign will change.

Why? We have rules of engagement while overseas... LEO in my opinion should have rules of engagement here at home.. Even more so when a citizen isn't armed.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
I don't understand why it's so hard to answer a simple question. No one can read your mind, so you'll have to include some details in your posts, as tough as that may be.

I'm not interested in 15 pages of word games. I get what Monello was saying, but your link by no means backs up his claim.

Based on the "hesitat[ed]" reference it looks like you are interested in just that.

In either case, we were discussing the "cop" not whatever mystery person you are dreaming about now.

stgislander

PREMO Member
LEO in my opinion should have rules of engagement here at home.. Even more so when a citizen isn't armed.

They should but they don't. How do we get the multitude of Federal, State, and Local LE agencies to adopt a set of ROE nationwide?

Chris0nllyn

Why? We have rules of engagement while overseas... LEO in my opinion should have rules of engagement here at home.. Even more so when a citizen isn't armed.

And we don't have that here. We have union-protected LEOs hiding behind "training" and "fear". Something oridinary citizens are not afforded.

This idea (not by you), that the "times" are bad to be a cop is laughable. The idea that their perceived fear somehow trumps the rights of American citizens to go about their business, not breaking any laws, is also laughable.

But what do you do when we, the people, allow it? We're told that being a police officer is a dangerous, thankless, job and any criticism of their actions is met with "well, it could have been worse". We hold certain peers to a higher standard/class of people and training has caused a greater divide between the people and police. You don't change the mindsets of millions of people overnight, and apparently not when cops #### up either.