2019 MD Health Insurance Premiums

stgislander

PREMO Member
With Open Enrollment just around the corner, has anyone heard yet what they are expecting their 2019 premiums to be? CareFirst is still only showing the 2018 plans on their website.

CareFirst said customers who were in a preferred provider option plan may be able to get a better rate in a similar health maintenance organization, which already covers the majority of consumers. CareFirst plans to advertise the option in advance of the enrollment season that begins Nov. 1.

CareFirst is reducing the rate on its HMO by 17 percent, while rates on the PPO will decline 11.1 percent. It had been seeking increases of 18.5 percent on the HMO and 91.4 percent on the PPO.

Kaiser, which had sought a 37.4 percent increase for its HMO, now will reduce that rate by 7.4 percent.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/health/bs-md-hogan-redmer-insurance-20180921-story.html

stgislander

PREMO Member
I received my letter from CareFirst BCBS yesterday. The deductible in my Bronze HMO plan is jumping up from $6550 to $7900, but the premium is going down 15.4%.

I guess I have MD's new reinsurance program for thank for the reduction. I my actually keep my insurance now.

stgislander

PREMO Member
at that level of deductible is there even a reason to have the insurance any longer?

I guess there is if you are concerned about having a catastrophic event. It's all it's good for now. I was seriously considering one of the cost sharing programs if my premium had gone up again.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
I received my letter from CareFirst BCBS yesterday. The deductible in my Bronze HMO plan is jumping up from $6550 to $7900, but the premium is going down 15.4%.

I guess I have MD's new reinsurance program for thank for the reduction. I my actually keep my insurance now.

Holy guacamole! :yikes: That is insane.

I have a $1,500 deductible for the health insurance through my company and the premium rate we pay is going down by a little over 9% next year.