Crime FB posts about people leaving rocks in the raod then beating you when you stop

glhs837

Power with Control
Eidt: Got the answer.....

ursday, October 18, 2018
Inaccurate Rumor Being Shared Online
The St. Mary’s County Sheriff’s Office is aware of an online rumor being shared on social media relaying a story that drivers are being attacked on local roads when they stop after being struck with objects or after driving over roadway debris.

The St. Mary’s County Sheriff’s Office received a report of rocks in the road on Piney Point Road on Oct. 7, 2018, but no report of the driver being attacked. The Sheriff’s Office was indirectly notified of a reported assault on Oct. 16, 2018 at Route 235 and St. John’s Road in Hollywood, but no robbery occurred. The case is still under investigation.

At this time, there is no reason to believe the two incidents are related and we have no other reports of this nature.

If roadside attacks had been reported to the Sheriff’s Office, the Public Information Office would immediately alert the public to such activity.

For official news and information, visit the Sheriff’s Office news site at https://firstsheriff.blogspot.com/, follow the St. Mary’s County Sheriff’s Office on Twitter at @firstsheriff or check our Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/firstsheriff/.

If you are a victim of a violent crime or an in-progress crime, call 911. For non-emergency reports, call the Sheriff’s Office at 301-475-8008.

Posted by St Marys Sheriff at 1:37 PM

BTW, how old is the "Add a Prefix" button when you are authroing a new thread? I was going to make a seocnd post after this that the Life in SOMD section should have a "Crime and Punishment" subsection.

First off, this is alleged to be happening here, St Johns and 235, the Callaway area, one or two others. Anyway, onto the deal. Saw a few FB posts yesterday, that combined with subsequent posts and comments attached to, tell a story that boils down to three or more attacks where the vistim is driving at night, either hits head sized rocks placed in the road or stops to remove them, at which point they are set upon by brigands. Beaten and robbed. I know, I know, ths sound like every other uran legend from the exploding can of biscuits to the OHMAGERD, look out for NOTES ON YOUR WINDSHIELD!!!!!.

But I read at last a few comments where people claimed to know the victim, and not in a "Oh its my sistercousinwifes second cousin, twice removed on unclebrothers side." things like "That was my sister", "this happened to my employee, who is still in treatment for the injuries".

So, what do we know, and when did we know it? And if this is true, why the heck hasnt the Sheriff put out something?

Last edited:

glhs837

Power with Control
because facebook :bs:

Thats generally the way I view these things. But given the local flavor, and multiple people with firsthand knowledge, and claims of police invovlement, I raised it up a few credibility notches. Still not at 100%, but more than the normal 5% :)

I doubt it's credibility because if you look at the profile of the "person" for the post that is getting spread, it is obviously a fake profile.

glhs837

Power with Control
I doubt it's credibility because if you look at the profile of the "person" for the post that is getting spread, it is obviously a fake profile.

I didnt get a chance to track it back that far. Which person was that?

nobody really

I need a nap
QUOTE=glhs837;5934197]I didnt get a chance to track it back that far. Which person was that?[/QUOTE]

bring the post back up, take a screen shot. With names. And the FB page you found it on.

Post here.

glhs837

Power with Control
QUOTE=glhs837;5934197]I didnt get a chance to track it back that far. Which person was that?

bring the post back up, take a screen shot. With names. And the FB page you found it on.

Post here.[/QUOTE]

After work I'll do that.

NextJen

Raisin cane
Just saw this posted by the St. Mary's County Sheriff's Office:

Thursday, October 18, 2018
The St. Mary’s County Sheriff’s Office is aware of an online rumor being shared on social media relaying a story that drivers are being attacked on local roads when they stop after being struck with objects or after driving over roadway debris.

The St. Mary’s County Sheriff’s Office received a report of rocks in the road on Piney Point Road on Oct. 7, 2018, but no report of the driver being attacked. The Sheriff’s Office was indirectly notified of a reported assault on Oct. 16, 2018 at Route 235 and St. John’s Road in Hollywood, but no robbery occurred. The case is still under investigation.

At this time, there is no reason to believe the two incidents are related and we have no other reports of this nature.

If roadside attacks had been reported to the Sheriff’s Office, the Public Information Office would immediately alert the public to such activity.

For official news and information, visit the Sheriff’s Office news site at https://firstsheriff.blogspot.com/, follow the St. Mary’s County Sheriff’s Office on Twitter at @firstsheriff or check our Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/firstsheriff/.

If you are a victim of a violent crime or an in-progress crime, call 911. For non-emergency reports, call the Sheriff’s Office at 301-475-8008.

glhs837

Power with Control
Just saw this posted by the St. Mary's County Sheriff's Office:

Thursday, October 18, 2018

and that's what I was hoping for, authoritative information. Now to blanket FB with that :)

PeoplesElbow

I swear I have never seen some place with more junior high school like rumors that go around than southern Maryland.