2 Kings 13 Yet another failure

seekeroftruth

2 Kings 13:1 In the twenty-third year of Joash son of Ahaziah king of Judah, Jehoahaz son of Jehu became king of Israel in Samaria, and he reigned seventeen years. 2 He did evil in the eyes of the Lord by following the sins of Jeroboam son of Nebat, which he had caused Israel to commit, and he did not turn away from them. 3 So the Lord’s anger burned against Israel, and for a long time he kept them under the power of Hazael king of Aram and Ben-Hadad his son.

4 Then Jehoahaz sought the Lord’s favor, and the Lord listened to him, for he saw how severely the king of Aram was oppressing Israel. 5 The Lord provided a deliverer for Israel, and they escaped from the power of Aram. So the Israelites lived in their own homes as they had before. 6 But they did not turn away from the sins of the house of Jeroboam, which he had caused Israel to commit; they continued in them. Also, the Asherah pole[a] remained standing in Samaria.

7 Nothing had been left of the army of Jehoahaz except fifty horsemen, ten chariots and ten thousand foot soldiers, for the king of Aram had destroyed the rest and made them like the dust at threshing time.

8 As for the other events of the reign of Jehoahaz, all he did and his achievements, are they not written in the book of the annals of the kings of Israel? 9 Jehoahaz rested with his ancestors and was buried in Samaria. And Jehoash(b) his son succeeded him as king.​

a. 2 Kings 13:6 That is, a wooden symbol of the goddess Asherah; here and elsewhere in 2 Kings
b. 2 Kings 13:9 Hebrew Joash, a variant of Jehoash; also in verses 12-14 and 25

So... the sins of the house of Jeroboam.... Jeroboam was the king of Israel who didn't want the citizens of Israel to go to Jerusalem, in Judah, where God's Temple was located. He was afraid that they would stay in Judah to worship in the Temple and leave him and empty kingdom. He needed the people to stay in Israel and work. If they kept taking off for all the religious holidays, nothing would ever get done. No shiny money would flow into Jeroboam's pockets. Jeroboam is the one who built a couple of fake temples in Israel and plopped a couple of golden calves in the fake temples for the people to worship.

Something a little different happened here.... this king Jehoahaz actually took the time and effort to ask God for help. Imagine that!

This is from enduringword.com.

Jehoahaz was an ungodly man, and this prayer did not mark a lasting or real revival in his life. Yet God listened to his prayer because of His great mercy and because of His care for Israel.

The term ‘pleaded with the Lord’ comes from a word meaning ‘to be sick,’ implying weakness and dependency. Jehoahaz was at the end of his rope.” (Dilday)

“This restoration to prosperity began under Joash son of Jehoahaz, and culminated during the reign of his grandson Jeroboam II. So prayer is frequently answered after the petitioner has passed away.” (Knapp)​

Then the LORD gave Israel a deliverer: This reminds us of the pattern often seen in the Book of Judges. Israel slipped into apostasy, God allowed them to be humbled under the enemies, they cried out to the LORD, and then He sent a deliverer, so that Israel escaped from under the hand of the Syrians.

We don’t know the name of this deliverer, but he is well known in heaven. One does not need a great name to do a great work for the LORD.​

Nevertheless they did not depart from the sins of the house of Jeroboam: Though God answered their prayer and sent a deliverer, Israel continued in their false worship of the true God. Men often consider this to be a small and inconsequential sin, and excuse the idolatry under the claim of good intentions.

“Israel’s repentance was only half-hearted; they repented because they suffered. They repented because of the suffering rather than because of the sin. They went back to the sin after they escaped from the sorrow.” (Spurgeon)​

He left of the army of Jehoahaz only fifty horsemen: Israel was delivered; they were apostate; and they were weak. Their lack of fellowship with the true God made them weak; or actually, God made them weak because of their lack of true relationship.

They say there are a lot of "Christians" in fox holes. I have met a lot of "christians" in the cancer treatment places. "Oh pray for me" is the common phrase.... and then... they are cured or die.... if they are cured... "God must love me... I'm good".... and they go back to their old ways.... or if they die "God let her die ... so I don't need God" and they go back to their old ways. Don't get me wrong... there are some real Christians going through cancer, war, famine, and persecution.... but there are more who are giving lip service to the Lord and those people.... they remind me of these stupid humans in Israel.

Come On Man [watching ESPN with hubby too].... When are these stupid humans going to get a clue... They have God's attention... all they have to do is talk to Him... and He'll listen and respond... what a wonderful opportunity.... and they are blowing it.... stupid humans....

:coffee: