Revelation 8 A flying mountain

seekeroftruth

Revelation 8:8 The second angel sounded his trumpet, and something like a huge mountain, all ablaze, was thrown into the sea. A third of the sea turned into blood, 9 a third of the living creatures in the sea died, and a third of the ships were destroyed.​

Well, there's a conflict again. Amazingdiscoveries.org relates these verses to the fall of Rome. As a matter of fact.... I ignored the entry about the first trumpet from this commentary and now I find I should go back and show it. I don't agree with this witness... but maybe there are those who do.

The First Trumpet: The “hail and fire mingled with blood” symbolize war and bloodshed. Ezekiel 38:21-22. “Trees” and “grass” depict people. God sent the barbaric Goths from the north to fall upon Rome, as a plague of “hail” to spill the “blood” of her people, and set her proud cities on “fire.” The Goths, headed by their general Alaric, attacked the Romans from A.D. 396 to 419. They sacked and pillaged the city of Rome in A.D. 410. The term “third part” indicates that a large portion would be affected but not all; in this case it applies to Rome.

The mountain cast into the sea depicts a violent invasion of civilized and populated area. The Vandals, led by Genseric, their king, invaded Rome from Africa and the Mediterranean Sea between the years A.D. 428 to 468. Like a roaring volcano thrown into the Sea, their sack of Rome in A.D. 455 which culminated in the unrestrained burning and pillaging of the city was so dreadful that the world “vandalism” remains to this day a term for malicious destruction of property.​

OK... that goes along with history repeating itself. IMHO... it's plausible but IMHO we're talking about God here.... He controls nature. Why wouldn't this be a series of natural disasters. I mean who would be better at throwing rocks than the guy who made them from nothing in the first place. I figure God has a meteorite in our future..... hence Star Wars.

This is from the blueletterbible.org site.

Something like a great mountain: John carefully says that this is not an actual mountain (note the use of like), but it is a blazing mass as large as a mountain.

A third of the sea became blood: This disaster is a cataclysm, perhaps a meteor that crashes into the sea and results in great oceanic upheaval with residual pollution. Researchers today say that this sort of phenomenon has happened many times in the history of the earth, sometimes resulting in great ecological upheaval and disaster. Here, the result is that a third of the living creatures in the sea died, and a third of the ships were destroyed. The blood may be either the cause or the effect of the widespread death in the oceans of the world.

The sea may be a specific reference to the Mediterranean and not a reference to all oceans. For a person in the world John lived in, the Mediterranean Sea was the sea, and they really had little knowledge of other oceans.​

It is common to take this great mountain as a symbol for a nation that will be judged. It is true that mountains are sometimes used as figures of governments or nations (Jeremiah 51:25, 51:27, 51:30). But in this context, the symbol doesn't make sense. What does it mean that the great mountain is burning with fire? What does it mean that it was thrown into the sea? What does the sea symbolize? Who are the living creatures in the sea? What are the ships on the sea? What is their destruction a symbol of? All these questions make us say that the best solution is to see this as some literal mass of land, probably a meteor or asteroid, falling into the sea and bringing ecological disaster.

So what do you do when you have one witness saying one thing and another refuting it and offering a second opinion.... you go to a third witness.

This is from discoverrevelation.com.

“As it were a great mountain”: Probably a huge meteor or asteroid surrounded by gases that will ignite as it enters earth’s atmosphere. Its impact will create a tidal wave, destroying one-third of the world’s ships.

“Sea became blood”: This may refer to an event known as red tides, caused by billions of dead micro-organisms poisoning the water, in this case the result of the meteor’s collision. Or it may be actual blood, a clear act of eschatological judgment.

Two Author's views will be given for explanations as to the Trumpet Judgments. Read both then you decide which you believe.

The Second Trumpet: A Mountain of Fire. As in Sodom and Gomorrah (Gen. chapter 19). Tim LaHaye sees this as literally happening.

When the Second trumpet is blown, John sees something like “a great mountain burning with fire". Tim LaHaye thinks it is likely an enormous meteorite crashing through the atmosphere, "thrown into the sea, and a third of the sea became blood." As a result, a third of everything living in the sea dies, and a third of the ships on the sea are destroyed.

Already the WHO (World Health Organization), states "nearly half of the world's people are affected by diseases related to insufficient and contaminated water," which is why they are trying to improve the water supplies of the world. Think of the plagues that will be spread when the water supply turns bitter, then to blood in the "great and terrible Day of the Lord."

According to Hal Lindsey (The author of the book "The Late Great Planet Earth"), he thinks this will be a nuclear holocaust. He states that in a nuclear detonation, humidity in the air is instantly compressed into water and driven straight up into the freezing temperatures of the upper stratosphere. It then is instantly frozen and falls back to earth as giant chunks of ice. This he states would account for the fire, blood and ice, and that with enough of the various third world countries who now have nuclear capabilities makes this certainly a possibility.

Consider the super polluted air with radiation and now with a third of all vegetation gone, the lack of oxygen they provide will be gone. An even greater tragedy is all the green grains are burned up. With famine already raging in many parts of the world and scarcity of food everywhere else, this will seal the doom of millions. Perhaps the lucky ones will be those who die in the explosions.​

Wow... there is some real speculation about this. Is it a meteor.... or ice chunks created in the upper atmosphere by an nuclear detonation falling to the sea?

Well first of all... I do agree that the "sea" whatever this thing falls into would, in John's mind, be the Mediterranean. Just like would have thought the earth is flat... the only sea John was aware of was the Mediterranean. That doesn't mean, though, that what he saw couldn't happen anywhere in the world, in any sea or ocean... it just means John would have considered it to be in the Mediterranean Sea because that's what he knows.

Now... is it a Gog and Magog thing?.... well I'm not sure... I haven't read or studied all of Jeremiah. I sincerely hope it is not ice chunks from a nuclear detonation. I see how it would come about even in today's historical events.

The discoverrevelation.com site called it an eschatological judgement. I didn't know what that is.... so I googled it.
"Eschatology, from two Greek words meaning "last" (ἔσχατος) and "study" (-λογία), is the study of 'end things', whether the end of an individual life, the end of the age, the end of the world and the nature of the Kingdom of God."

I don't know if Jesus has a meteor or a human at the core of this second trumpet. I do know it's not going to be good. I don't know whether to hope I'm sleeping when this occurs or whether I want to be one of those who died for my faith.... I just hope I'm not on earth when this second trumpet sounds. I found this at nbcnews.com.

Officials with NASA, FEMA and the White House discussed the new asteroid-mitigation strategies in a teleconference with the media on Thursday. "An asteroid impact is one of the possible scenarios that we must be prepared for," Leviticus Lewis, chief of FEMA's National Response Coordination Branch, said on the teleconference, adding that a catastrophic asteroid strike is "a low-probability but high-consequence event" for which "some degree of preparedness is necessary." [Related: How Trump's Space Force Would Help Protect Earth from Future Asteroid Threats]​

So maybe if a Space Force is not too hard to believe... then maybe the Book of Revelation is not so hard to believe either.

:coffee: