Revelation 8 Nasty Water

seekeroftruth

Revelation 8:10 The third angel sounded his trumpet, and a great star, blazing like a torch, fell from the sky on a third of the rivers and on the springs of water— 11 the name of the star is Wormwood.[a] A third of the waters turned bitter, and many people died from the waters that had become bitter.

a. Revelation 8:11 Wormwood is a bitter substance

Well, this is from amazingdiscoveries.org.

The Third Trumpet: The “great star” that fell “from heaven” is symbolic of a great leader. Revelation 1:20; 22:16; Genesis 37:9-10. Wormwood is a bitter medicinal plant, poisonous in large or concentrated doses. The leader that appeared as a sudden blazing star bringing such bitterness upon Rome was Attila, ruler of the Huns. Called “The Scourge of God,” Attila, with his hordes of barbarian horsemen, raped, murdered and turned city after city into smoldering ruins without mercy. Revelation correctly portrays this invasion as a most bitter judgment.​

I'm beginning to think that wormwood is only a metaphor. This comes from gotquestions.org.

The word “wormwood” is mentioned only here in the New Testament, but it appears eight times in the Old Testament, each time associated with bitterness, poison and death. The Revelation passage may not be saying that the star falling to the earth will actually be called Wormwood by the inhabitants of the earth. Rather, wormwood was a well-known bitter herb in the Bible times, so by naming the star Wormwood, we are told that its effect will be to embitter the waters of the earth, so much so that the water is undrinkable. It won’t be a matter of simply a bitter taste to the water; it will literally be poisonous. If drinking water is unavailable to one third of the earth’s population, it’s easy to see how chaos and terror will result. Humans can only survive a couple of days without water, and the inhabitants of the affected areas will be so desperate as to actually drink the poisoned water, causing the death of thousands, if not millions of people.

Let me show the easy English clarification.

Then the third angel sounded his trumpet. A third of the fresh water on the earth became bitter. The cause was a huge star, which fell to earth. Its name was Wormwood. Many people who drank this bitter water died.

When I was a kid... my Grandmom had a house up in Front Royal. That house was on well water. Every time we visited... one of the first things I always looked forward too was pumping up a bucket of clear cold water and dipping that metal ladle down it in. That ladle almost froze to the lips so I had to be careful. Oh that water was so good. These verses remind me how lucky I am to have tasted cool clear mountain spring water right from that cold ladle.

Out in Arizona... there are so many minerals and salts in the water that it's pretty much undrinkable straight. We have to scrub the toilets with a pumice stone to peel off the ring the minerals leave. There are water and ice machines everywhere. The water is pumped up through filters and poured into containers at the price of twenty five cents a gallon. People scoff up those cases of water in plastic bottles and keep gallons of water on tap to refill the little bottles with. The water is ok to drink from those places... but nothing like back at Grandmom's. In spite of all that... there is a law in Arizona that requires people give a drink of water to anyone who asks. That's how bad humans need water.

• Humans require water. Without water, we cramp up and let me tell you.... cramping due to dehydration is extremely painful.
  • Humans are hardheaded. Someone once told me they didn't care if there was odorless, colorless, tasteless arsenic in the water because the water looks and tastes just fine.
  • Humans care more about what they want then what they need. People will want the water as soon as they hear there's a shortage. They'll fight and kick just like they did when told there was a shortage of cabbage patch dolls at Christmas. Some will even gouge the price of the poison even though the water isn't good to drink to make some money off of this tragedy. [Yes we are that evil]
  • Animals require water. Without water, herds of animals will move on. There won't be food. Those animals that don't move on with the rest... will be dangerous... they too will be thirsty and suffer from dehydration cramping pain. An animal in pain is unpredictable.

Nasty Water will be a horrible "what next" item. The people still alive to experience this will have lived through an earthquake so large that land will form from water and water will flood where land is now. The people still alive lived through God's blowtorch. Now they can't find a drink of clean water. I bet their canines are growing back.... I bet the look in their eye is fearful and mean.

And there's more coming.... even if the commentary says this happened already in Rome... in some metaphorical way.... history repeats itself. What kind of people would knowingly let their children drink mercury or arsenic or other sulfates? Sometimes parents don't have a choice.

:coffee:

Last edited: