Halloween!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I'm bored with politics, let's talk about something else.

We'll spend Halloween at the campground in Bastrop, and they'll probably have Halloween stuff for the kiddies. Two years ago we were at Ocean Lakes in Myrtle Beach, and let me tell you Halloween was an enormous event there. People decorated to the nth degree, dressed up their golf carts, it was really cool.

What do you do for Halloween? Do you get bent when teenagers trick or treat? How about when people drop off carloads of kids who don't live in your neighborhood?

nobody really

I need a nap
I live in a townhouse and **used** to love to see the little kiddies (the ones that come early) all dressed up, excited, shy, or whatever.

now there is non of that. Just a few little ones around 6, then the thugs come out. Living in a townhouse development, it never bugged me that they bus them in. i would if i had little ones. but now its just older kids. meh.

SamSpade

All of my kids still trick or treat, although I have been dropping hints that I quit after sixth grade - I happened upon a house where one of my own classmates was handing out the candy and she was not trick or treating at all. It dawned on me if I REALLY wanted candy, I could just splurge some of my own money AFTER Halloween.

However, no one ever comes to OUR house in our neighborhood - we get NO kids. At all. The houses are far enough apart, and a lot of them don't bother for Halloween, KNOWING that no one will come.
We all put out a token "get your own" bowl of goodies, but no one comes by.

That said - it's stupid to take my own kids through our neighborhood. We just go up the street to another development. Houses are closer together, and most of the kids we see go to school with OUR kids, so it's not like we're visiting some neighborhood where we don't "belong". Some of my kid's TEACHERS live there, and they see them every year.

luvmygdaughters

We dont get many trick or treaters, in fact, last year I didnt get one! My sister and bil have done a woods walk at their house for the past 5 or 6 years. Great job by family members, scary decorations, a hay ride thru the woods to Moll Dyer Run, where a very, scary old witch (yours truly) tells a ghost story, than a hayride ride thru the "cemetery" and back to the farm for bonfire, ghost stories, games, food and adult beverages.

lucky_bee

RBF expert
I live in a townhouse and **used** to love to see the little kiddies (the ones that come early) all dressed up, excited, shy, or whatever.

now there is non of that. Just a few little ones around 6, then the thugs come out. Living in a townhouse development, it never bugged me that they bus them in. i would if i had little ones. but now its just older kids. meh.

DITTO!

I might just keep a small bowl for the first hour, aka the little kids in our neighborhood, and then turn the light off after that. Last year I had the bowl and this group practically took the bowl right outta my hands to POUR almost all my candy into their bags. My neighbor had put out a bowl and they stole the whole bowl and ran off.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
I don't mind the little ones, and even the teens who are dressed up. I just don't like the thug-ish looking ones who come out and don't even act nice. And we do often receive a ton of carpooled kids from other neighborhoods, which I don't care for. It used to be more fun when I knew more of the kids, but now I let Thing1 do the treating if he is home. Otherwise, we aren't typically into doing it ourselves. #scroogy.

Goldenhawk

Is there such a thing as a Halloween Grinch? If so that's us. Lights off, drapes closed, if we're even at home. With the much longer driveway than adjacent houses, we rarely get any knocks on the door.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
My wife and I leave the lights off and go out to dinner and a movie for the night.
Wouldn't mind so much if it was just the neighborhood kids, but it seems half of LP comes to visit.
Every year we've been here, have had a deputy to direct traffic it's so congested.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
At my house, before I moved into the apartment, I got a TON of Trick or Treaters. There were several years when I was going out for the evening and I'd put a bowl on the porch with a sign that said, "Take two - Happy Halloween!" And when I came back there would still be a bit of candy in the bowl. That amazed me. I knew the kids in my 'hood were nice, but I didn't think they were *that* nice.

In the apartment you'd think it would be primo TorT territory, a bunch of apartments all close together, hit and run. I did not get one single kid come by.

The good news is I always got treats that I like in case I end up with leftovers. No DumDum suckers or Necco wafers or weird flavored Tootsie Rolls - I did single-serve bags of Doritos and Fritos, M&Ms, and Reese's cups.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Nothing. I don't get any TorTrs, not do I buy candy. I can get enough of that at work.

Hannibal

Halloween is a special/big night in the neighborhood - for kids AND adults. There is a ton of activity. Last year, someone bused in kids which was OK IMO as it provided a safe place for them to go and increased the activity. Lots of kids. Lots of decorated golf carts. A few trailers with hay bails carrying groups of kids around. Lots of fire pits going on with adults handing out adult beverages to other adults.

My house is at the end of a longer side street (I'm the only one down there) so we usually setup a table towards the main street directly in between the driveways of both neighbors. So all three house essentially are set up at one spot right on the main street. Last year, we had a couple fire pits going on to keep things toasty. To the side was a couple of coolers for travelling moms/dads and then a few buckets of candy for the kids. Several houses did specialty drinks such as hot cider (spiked of course) or some other variation. One house will hand out Fireball shots. It more or less turns into a lowkey neighborhood party where everyone catches up with each other.

It's always a blast. Tons of kids/families running around. The neighborhood does it right.

calvcopf

I found that Trick-Or-Treat should end by 8 pm. But still haven't found what time it starts.

I also just learned that there are no "official" T-O-T times set by the counties.

Last edited:

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Halloween! I'm bored with politics, let's talk about something else.

No Halloween for me. Have you seen the prices for candy? For those prices one would need to find an all adult halloweening area so that the treaters could at least provide some tricks for that expensive candy. So I'm looking for Cat Woman, Bat Woman, Wonder Woman, a French Maid, maybe a naughty nun, Pocahontas, Ivy Maiden, or a nurse. Selection subject to change based upon degree of costume coverage.

littlelady

God bless the USA
If I may ...

No Halloween for me. Have you seen the prices for candy? For those prices one would need to find an all adult halloweening area so that the treaters could at least provide some tricks for that expensive candy. So I'm looking for Cat Woman, Bat Woman, Wonder Woman, a French Maid, maybe a naughty nun, Pocahontas, Ivy Maiden, or a nurse. Selection subject to change based upon degree of costume coverage.

:lol:

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
If I may ...

Looks like your need a GF, wife or significant other. :yay:

mAlice

professional daydreamer
If I may ...

Here ya' go!

Attachments

• pocahantis.JPG
    pocahantis.JPG
    45.7 KB · Views: 272