Ford sees higher metal costs

transporter

Ford sees higher metal costs, hopes China and U.S. can settle trade issues

WAYNE, Mich. (Reuters) - Ford Motor Co (F.N) has seen higher steel and aluminum costs driven by trade tariffs bite into profit, but is hopeful the United States and China can avoid further tensions that could make things more costly, a top Ford executive said on Monday.

“They’re certainly up year over year and they’re up versus what we were expecting,” Joe Hinrichs, Ford executive vice president and president of global operations, said of steel and aluminum costs.

U.S. steel costs are higher than anywhere else in the world, Hinrichs told reporters. Ford officials have been working with all the parties involved, including the U.S. government, to address the issues, he said at a plant in Wayne, Michigan, to celebrate next week’s production launch of the Ranger midsize pickup truck.

Kinda interesting how ignorati like Gilligan cheer for the end of regulations because they cut into profits, but the same people don't understand that tariffs do exactly the same thing.

Based on the article Trump cheered Ford's $850M investment in the Wayne, MI plant. During their most recent market commentary, Ford said the tariffs have cost the company $1B in lost profits.

Chris0nllyn

Anyone or Anything that does not conform to YOUR World View is Either Ignorant, Uneducated or Selfish .....

Do you have some sort of Word doc waiting around to copy and paste from or do you type this out in each and every thread? Just curious.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Kinda interesting how ignorati like Gilligan cheer for the end of regulations because they cut into profits, but the same people don't understand that tariffs do exactly the same thing..

Noticed right off how large a jump in prices my steel, stainless steel and aluminum suppliers have stuck me with. Trucks are in here all the time. I note that the basic commodity prices are holding steady after a brief early blip..telling me the US finished-metal suppliers are using this opportunity to gouge their customers.

Wake me up when the tariff war is over, mkay?..and go make me a sammich in the meanwhile.

Clem72

Do you have some sort of Word doc waiting around to copy and paste from or do you type this out in each and every thread? Just curious.

I get that he is trying to needle Transporter (who probably doesn't even read the replies half the time), but I think it's likely more annoying to the rest of us than anything.

But if you hadn't noticed, Gurps seems to find a phrase and then stick with it for a while. He was so tickled with his mewling quim quote that he trotted that thing out every other post for months too.

Chris0nllyn

I get that he is trying to needle Transporter (who probably doesn't even read the replies half the time), but I think it's likely more annoying to the rest of us than anything.

But if you hadn't noticed, Gurps seems to find a phrase and then stick with it for a while. He was so tickled with his mewling quim quote that he trotted that thing out every other post for months too.

Yea, I noticed. :lol:

You Were Saying .... You Miserable Git

:blahblah:

This your new thing? No more "mewling quim"?

you were saying .... you miserable Git

what a miserable Git you are
http://forums.somd.com/threads/330126-Why-can-t-movies-just-be-entertainment/page4

Hijinx

Why are you on Gurps ass for using the same thing over and over. Isn't that what Tranny does with her insults?

black dog

Free America
Noticed right off how large a jump in prices my steel, stainless steel and aluminum suppliers have stuck me with. Trucks are in here all the time. I note that the basic commodity prices are holding steady after a brief early blip..telling me the US finished-metal suppliers are using this opportunity to gouge their customers.

Wake me up when the tariff war is over, mkay?..and go make me a sammich in the meanwhile.

I'm there myself. I found a new supplier but I now almost double my order to get a descent break and just do it twice a month if possible.
I went to a local ( 20 miles ) large fab shop that sells drops a few weeks ago to get some aluminum for a government project of mine to buy some 1/4" alum plate. They have a drop room with steel, alum and stainless, I went to pay and they wanted 3.50 a pound for alum drops. I put it back on the shelf and just ordered a sheet of it from my supplier. I'm thinking about taking one bay of the new building and build racks and start selling retail myself.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I'm there myself. I found a new supplier but I now almost double my order to get a descent break and just do it twice a month if possible.
I went to a local ( 20 miles ) large fab shop that sells drops a few weeks ago to get some aluminum for a government project of mine to buy some 1/4" alum plate. They have a drop room with steel, alum and stainless, I went to pay and they wanted 3.50 a pound for alum drops. I put it back on the shelf and just ordered a sheet of it from my supplier. I'm thinking about taking one bay of the new building and build racks and start selling retail myself.
My aluminum supplier hit me with 3.50 a pond for full sheets the last delivery

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
He was so tickled with his mewling quim quote that

Indeed, she is such a whiny cu nt same insults, same derision ... if you don't think like Transporter / TJ

Anyone or Anything that does not conform to HER World View is Either Ignorant, Uneducated or Selfish .....

This_person

I'm shocked - SHOCKED, I tell you - that an industry has rising material costs. This has NEVER happened in the history of the United States. I can't believe rising material costs are allowed by this incompetent president. ALL costs must remain the same, as they always have!!!

Chris0nllyn

Why are you on Gurps ass for using the same thing over and over. Isn't that what Tranny does with her insults?

Because GURPS is capable of having a conversation and I understand what transporter does (unlike others, apparently) so I rarely reply to them.

Chris0nllyn

I'm shocked - SHOCKED, I tell you - that an industry has rising material costs. This has NEVER happened in the history of the United States. I can't believe rising material costs are allowed by this incompetent president. ALL costs must remain the same, as they always have!!!

You'd agree that rising material costs associated with market changes is a wee bit different than rising material costs associated with tariffs, yes?

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
You'd agree that rising material costs associated with market changes is a wee bit different than rising material costs associated with tariffs, yes?

I'm not going to go all chicken little :cds: over a rise in the short term ... talk to me yr from now, and we will see how this played out

Chris0nllyn

I'm not going to go all chicken little :cds: over a rise in the short term ... talk to me yr from now, and we will see how this played out

Sure, but in the short term, rising material costs get passed along to the consumer and while some people may not care about it (example: "I'm not buying a Ford vehicle so why do I care" or "I don't mind paying a bit more to help domestic business") those who are buying one (such as businesses) are forced to pay more.

Then, domestic producers say "Damn, I can raise my costs too" and the perpetual cycle goes on.

Tariffs are taxes on ourselves.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member

The cost of raw aluminum is virtually unchanged from a year ago..a little lower even. The US producers of finished aluminum products seem to be having their way with us at the moment.. Much the same as gasoline distributors/speculators manage jack prices immediately after some "event" that they can use as a lever.

You can see how remarkably short and small the "blip" was when tariffs were announced.

http://www.infomine.com/investment/metal-prices/aluminum/1-year/