Thread: Where we have camped

Blog Entries

Where we have camped

I should have started this 2 1/2 years ago. I'll do some reviews also.

These are just the places we've stayed with the RV. While car tripping we've also stayed in campground but stayed in their cabins.

Solomons Navy Rec center - Solomons, MD *
    Oceans Lakes - Myrtle Beach, SC *
    Mt. Pleasant KOA - Mt Pleasant, SC *
    Pelican's Roost - NS Mayport, FL
    Wekiva Falls RV resort - Sorrento, FL
    Sarasota Lakes RV resort - Sarasota, FL
    Grand Lakes RV & Golf resort - Citra, FL
    Emerald Coast RV resort - Panama City Beach, FL *
    Yogi Bear's Jellystone park, Nashville, TN
    Camp LeConte, Gatlinburg - TN
    Lion Country Safari KOA - Loxahatchee, FL
    Jolly Rogers, Grassy Key - FL
    Naples KOA Holiday - Naples, FL
    Sandy Oaks RV park - Beverly Hills, FL
    All About Relaxing - Theodore, AL
    Lakeside RV park - Livingston, LA
    Hidden Lake RV park - Beaumont, TX
    Bastrop/Colorado River KOA - Bastrop, TX *
    La Hacienda, Lakeway - TX *
    Colonia del Rey RV resort - Corpus Christi, TX

* = We stayed at these locations multiple times
    Last edited by Monello; 12-03-2018 at 10:14 PM.
    War = Peace
    Freedom = Slavery
    Diversity = Strength

Monello thinks he is king of the forum, now. Just keep that in mind.

Blog Entries

Ocean Lakes - Myrtle Beach South Carolina

I can type enough nice things about OL. They have something for everyone here. Bonus is it's right on the ocean. It's just a short walk to the beach. This isn't a sleepy little destination. It's a full assault on your senses kind of place. It even boasts it's own post office. This is a destination where you'll never hear the kids say that they are bored.

There are over 850 campsites and a few thousand other properties onsite. The campground encompasses more than 300 acres. In the summer season they employ 360 people. They have their own radio station.

Indoor & outdoor pools with waterslides, camp store, restaurants, ice cream parlor, mini golf, game center, jungle gym, bike rentals, roving security patrols, fishing ponds, just to name a few of the things to do there. Swim in the pool or the ocean as they have a mile of beach front property.

Golf cars abound here. It's the most popular way to get around since everything is spread out. We were here for a Halloween parade and site decorating contest. These people take their competition seriously.

We have never been here during the summer. Our experiences here have been in the fall, when the occupancy drops a bit. That suits us just fine as I couldn't imagine the summer traffic jams with all the golf cars, bikes and autos.

Ocean Lakes

A view from our campsite
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN4916.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	62.9 KB 
ID:	125381

Some of the many personal and rental properties available

Name:	DSCN4921.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	49.8 KB 
ID:	125382

They take Halloween serious here

Name:	DSCN4927.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	102.4 KB 
ID:	125383

I've never seen a 2 story RV before

Name:	DSCN4925.jpg 
Size:	102.2 KB 
ID:	125384

Sunrise at the beach

Name:	DSCN4865.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	52.2 KB 
ID:	125385
    Last edited by Monello; 10-24-2018 at 02:41 PM.
    War = Peace
    Freedom = Slavery
    Diversity = Strength

Blog Entries

Pelican's Roost - Mayport Florida

This campground can only be used by people that have a DOD ID card.

This campground has a great location. It's right on a point of land where the St Johns river empties into the Atlantic ocean. It's not the largest campground out there. 58 sites. There's no pool but the base pool is a short bike ride away. It features a great office/game room/kitchen. The kitchen is fully equipped and has nice deep sinks for cleaning up. There are NO homesteaders here, as they limit your stay. 30 days total of which only 14 can be the waterfront spots. Daily rate for waterfront is $27 in the high season. That price is hard to beat for what you get.

You can fish from the jetties that are a short walk across the street. Ships arriving and departing are a constant sight. It does get a bit windy in this location. The town of Mayport has some eclectic restaurants, a gambling cruise ship, fresh seafood including Mayport shrimp, fishing boats and a public boat ramp. You can fish for the day on 1 of the head boats. It's not a huge town, just a few blocks of commercial buildings. You can catch a ferry that will take you to the northside of Jacksonville. It's part of the A1A route.

Singleton's

Name:	sing.jpg 
Size:	40.5 KB 
ID:	125361

Atlantic Beach, Neptune Beach and Jacksonville Beach are a short drive away. St Augustine is about an hour away depending on traffic.

Name:	pelican-roost-rv-park-53-1433893199.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	115.9 KB 
ID:	125362
    War = Peace
    Freedom = Slavery
    Diversity = Strength

Blog Entries

Mt. Pleasant KOA - Mt Pleasant, SC

Vrai selected this location so she could visit a good friend of hers that relocated from SOMD. And for that I'm thankful. We have stayed here twice. Both times as part of our wintering in Florida. The first year we were a little behind the curve, time wise. We actually ran into freezing temperatures overnight. It wasn't that big of a deal but we were searching for warmer temperature. This park is located just a few turns from the main highway through the area. It's quite secluded which makes it appear more rural than it actually is. Major shopping and restaurants are less than a mile away.

KOAs have a certain standard when it comes to amenities. This place is certainly 1 of those. They have an enormous gathering room with things for kids to do plus a functional kitchen. The kitchen comes in handy for the tent campers. They have several rental cabins and 1 restored train car that serves as a bedroom. The dog park has a fenced section that goes into the water. This way dogs can enjoy the lake and not have to worry about the local alligators. There are a few nature trails that meander through the swampy bush.

The lake is stocked and I've caught a few decent bass out of there. They rent paddle boats, kayaks & canoes. There's a fishing pier along with a community fire pit on the banks of the lake. I was able to launch my boat a few times.

The Mt. Pleasant/Charleston area has a bunch of things to keep a tourist busy. The barrier islands are a scenic draw. The greater Charleston area is a foodie mecca. There is no shortage of food options. There is something for everyone's appetite. I think this place rates in Vrai's top 5 of places she would choose to eat. Xiao Bao Biscuit. Shem's creek is a great place to have a drink and mix with both locals and tourists. Patriot's park has a lot to see. There are golf courses out the wazoo here. For the most part the weather is decent but we have not been here in the summer. I imagine summers here are a muggy mess, given the close proximity to the water.

Previous threads about Mt Pleasant. 2 3

Name:	b1.jpg 
Size:	51.5 KB 
ID:	125386

Name:	DSCF9027.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	99.1 KB 
ID:	125387

Name:	donny.jpg 
Size:	98.8 KB 
ID:	125388
    War = Peace
    Freedom = Slavery
    Diversity = Strength

I have been a member of this forum for over 10 years..I have no idea why I did not find your travel stuff until today!!!?!?!?!?!?!

I have been to Mt. Pleasant in April for a sailing regatta (Charleston Race Week)..it is really nice then, but I agree, probably muggy in summer. We usually rent a house in Isle of Palms. They plan the regatta around the tide tables, so the bigger boats racing out in the ocean can get in and out of the channel with the current. The entire area is fabulous.
    Last edited by sastanley; 10-30-2018 at 10:28 AM.

Blog Entries

Colonia del Rey RV resort - Corpus Christi, TX

We arrived here on Thursday. The first thing you notice is how close together the sites are. It's located in the Flour Bluff neighborhood. It's a stones throw from the Laguna Madre bay. The area around the campground is somewhat economically depressed. It's not a shady area but many of the homes in this part of town could use some sprucing up. The naval air station is about 3 miles away. It's a training base and often prop planes fly overhead.

This campground is independent. It's a sister campground to 3 other area CGs. There is a pool, but it's unheated. The bath houses are adequate. The laundry has a few industrial dryers. There's an office and a game room. Each week they have a calendar that lists the various activities. Downtown is about 15 miles away. The beach is a short drive away across the bridge.

On a scale of 1 to 5, I'd give this place a 2.5. It's not bad, it's not great. It is just what it is. Our section of the park has white stones instead of grass for the lawn. A good percentage of the campers are year round full timers. Plenty of sites have 2 cars. With the tight spots and parking space at a premium, it give the appearance of a poorly laid out parking lot.

We normally stay in KOA or some other sponsored campground. There is an expected level of amenities and that is missing from here. This is our 4th Texas campground. 2 of them are top notch, the other 2 not so much. I know Vrai works hard to find us decent digs. Her winners are far outpacing the few duds that we have had. Hopefully the local attractions can pick up the slack.
    War = Peace
    Freedom = Slavery
    Diversity = Strength

Next time you are in Charleston let me know. IF I am not back down in FL at that point yet. I have three months left on this contract.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyChevy75 View Post
    Next time you are in Charleston let me know. IF I am not back down in FL at that point yet. I have three months left on this contract.
    We can meet at Shems Creek.
    War = Peace
    Freedom = Slavery
    Diversity = Strength

Quote Originally Posted by Monello View Post
    We can meet at Shems Creek.
    Just let me know...I am usually around. I am trying to move back to FL in mid-summer.

Members who have read this thread: 41