2 Kings 14 Great kid king

seekeroftruth

2 Kings 14:17 Amaziah son of Joash king of Judah lived for fifteen years after the death of Jehoash son of Jehoahaz king of Israel. 18 As for the other events of Amaziah’s reign, are they not written in the book of the annals of the kings of Judah?

19 They conspired against him in Jerusalem, and he fled to Lachish, but they sent men after him to Lachish and killed him there. 20 He was brought back by horse and was buried in Jerusalem with his ancestors, in the City of David.

21 Then all the people of Judah took Azariah,[d] who was sixteen years old, and made him king in place of his father Amaziah. 22 He was the one who rebuilt Elath and restored it to Judah after Amaziah rested with his ancestors.​

d. 2 Kings 14:21 Also called Uzziah

They formed a conspiracy against him in Jerusalem: The embarrassing loss against Israel undermined Amaziah's support among the leaders of Judah.

He lived fifteen years after the death of Jehoash (which probably prompted his release from imprisonment in Israel), "But it was a kind of a lifeless life … He lay all the while under the hatred and contempt of his subjects." (Trapp)​

He fled to Lachish; but they sent after him to Lachish and killed him there: Amaziah tried but was unable to escape the conspirators. He was assassinated, just like his father was (2 Kings 12:20-21).

"Lachish was the first of the cities of Judah to adopt the idolatries of the kingdom of Israel ('the beginning of the sin to the daughter of Zion: for the transgressions of Israel were found in thee,' Micah 1:13), and it was natural for the idolatrous Amaziah to seek an asylum there." (Knapp)

"Some commentators believe the assassins who put Amaziah to death in verse 19 may have been the very children whom Amaziah had spared. They, in turn, were exacting vengeance for Amaziah's executions." (Dilday)​

And all the people of Judah took Azariah, who was sixteen years old, and made him king instead of his father: This was the start of the illustrious reign of Azariah (also known as Uzziah). He was the greatest king of Judah after David.

Back when Amaziah was murdered.... there was some discussion about punishing the child for what the parent had done. So when Amaziah was murdered... all the children of those who assassinated him were spared... because they didn't do it. This commentary seems to be saying... "well the kids of those assassins were probably to blame for taking Amaziah out" Actually.... that was part of the plop in a movie I watched.... "Taken" The lead good guy said to the lead bad guy.... "If I kill you, your sons will come after me."

Name Alert..... Azariah = Uzziah That might be good to know in the future.

This is from Biblegateway.com.

Amaziah survived his conqueror fifteen years. He was slain by his own subjects. Azariah, or Uzziah, seems to have been very young when his father was slain. Though the years of his reign are reckoned from that event, he was not fully made king till eleven years afterwards. (2Ki 14:23-29)

I hope this didn't give away tomorrow's study too much. I guess this is one of those story where the king was in training to be the future king. So he's king.... but his father was murdered so he's actually a figurehead for a while.... letting those more experienced run things while he matures.... and then king.

:coffee: