Counterfeit $10 bill story

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Official press release:

On Oct. 11, 2018, the St. Mary’s County Sheriff’s Office issued a press release seeking the identity of a person who was suspected of using a counterfeit bill at a local business.

After investigation by Sheriff’s Deputies with assistance from the US Treasury Department, it was determined that the suspected counterfeit $10 bill used recently at a St. Mary’s County store was in fact legal currency.

It was a 68-year-old, mint-condition bill with several printing irregularities, which led the cashier to believe that the bill was counterfeit.

After further coordination and cooperation with US Treasury officials, the currency was authenticated.

For official news and information, visit the Sheriff’s Office news site at https://firstsheriff.blogspot.com/, follow the St. Mary’s County Sheriff’s Office on Twitter at @firstsheriff or check our Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/firstsheriff/.

I feel sorry for this guy. He was famous on here in Crime Solvers for a couple of hours before he personally contact us to take his name down. Who knows how long his pic stayed up as a counterfeiter at other online sources.

calvcopf

Wow!

Imagine the stress that this man must have felt while being falsely accused of counterfeiting!

Unbelievable!

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Id be curious why he was spending a 1950 "mint condition" bill. :doh:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Where (what store) did he spend this money at?

I don't know the answer to that. I don't think it said in the original story. But it did show the guy's picture and it was quite clear. And of course the story was out there, with his photo, before he even realized he was being made famous.

calvcopf

I don't know the answer to that. I don't think it said in the original story. But it did show the guy's picture and it was quite clear. And of course the story was out there, with his photo, before he even realized he was being made famous.

Well, at least the word is getting out that he did nothing wrong.

black dog

Free America
How much money was spent with Agents of The Government over a 10 Dollar bill?
Ten ####ing dollars.. #Theresbetterthingstodo

PeoplesElbow

Id be curious why he was spending a 1950 "mint condition" bill. :doh:

A mint condition $10 bill from 1950 could be only worth $20. Paper money has many really weird things that add/subtract from its value.

A not quite mint $10 bill from 1950 could be worth $10.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Well, at least the word is getting out that he did nothing wrong.

I hope that's true. But, as they say, "A lie can travel halfway around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes." It's like Mark Twain or somebody.

Plus people like to be ####ty and don't care about retractions.

I hope all the local media are making a big deal that this man did nothing wrong.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
I hope that's true. But, as they say, "A lie can travel halfway around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes." It's like Mark Twain or somebody.

Plus people like to be ####ty and don't care about retractions.

I hope all the local media are making a big deal that this man did nothing wrong.

The Baynet still has the story up and no retraction:

http://www.thebaynet.com/articles/1018/police-seek-suspect-using-counterfeit-bills.html

SMNewsNet still shows a link to the story if you search, but when you click on the link you get a "page not found" message. No retraction either.

At least the Sheriff's Office posted the bill was "authenticated" and I sure hope they and Dollar Tree issue him an apology for their stupidity for putting him through this.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Jonathan Swift in 1710 wrote: "Falsehood flies, and the Truth comes limping after it; so that when Men come to be undeceiv’d, it is too late; the Jest is over, and the Tale has had its Effect…"

The attribution to Mark Twain says he wrote the lies, truth and shoes quote in 1919, 9 years after he died.