'How to get a husband': Cringeworthy 1950s dating article

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Advises women to 'cry softly in a corner' and 'stumble into a room' to attract eligible men :jet: :killingme

A 1958 magazine article advising women on how to attract a partner has surfaced on the internet, triggering a frenzy across social media.

Titled '129 Ways to Get a Husband', the feature in American magazine McCall's included a varied body of tips ranging from bizarre and desperate to downright sexist and politically incorrect.

One of the more outrageous instructions told women to be flexible about their potential partner's decisions: 'If he decides to skip the dance and go rowing on the lake, GO – even if you are wearing your best evening gown'.

If all else fails, the magazine offered a section captioned 'Anything Goes' which shared tricks such as offering to fix a man's flat tire and riding the airport bus back and forth until you found an attractive prospect.

You can't make this stuff up. :roflmao:

husband.jpg
husband 2.jpg

https://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle...igible-men/ar-BBP9NdD?ocid=spartandhp#image=4

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
I tried crying softly in the corner of a room and it didn't work for me... then again I was in a fetal position and have on waterproof mascara... :ohwell:

It's because you missed #61: When you are with him, order your steak rare. :smack:

luvmygdaughters

I tried crying softly in the corner of a room and it didn't work for me... then again I was in a fetal position and have on waterproof mascara... :ohwell:

:lmao: Yep, I tried "stumbling" into a room, unfortunately, after partaking of some wine, I was holding a tray full of jello shots, he was wearing a white suit...Needless to say, it looked like somebody threw up skittles all over him.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
#71 - Don't be too fussy. They should have also defined the word too.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
:lmao: Yep, I tried "stumbling" into a room, unfortunately, after partaking of some wine, I was holding a tray full of jello shots, he was wearing a white suit...Needless to say, it looked like somebody threw up skittles all over him.

:lmao:

I found that this approach worked well for me..

gift from god.jpg