Atlantic Broadband Screwing Current Customers

ltown81

Earlier in the year we dumped everything Atlantic Broadband except internet to just get Hulu and Netflix. I did not want to do it because I lost Orioles games (Masn), but could not justify a $280 cable bill after DVR, extra boxes, HBO and what not. So now we pay them $90 for internet service.

I went to their site, and noticed that they had several promos. One that caught my eyes was $69 for internet, phone, and 60 channels (including locals and MASN) for two years. That's less than I pay for just internet. It of course had the caveat of being for "new" customers..however in my mind, the TV and phone would be new service. Even if I did not get that rate something in the ball park would be good.

https://atlanticbb.com/bundles-deals/internet-tv-phone

So I call them today to see what they can do. I ended up waiting on hold for 42 MINUTES. Even worse, their hold music every 4 minutes or so makes a ringing sound like someone is picking up...but in reality some kind of ad plays.

Finally a woman picks up. She asks for my number, and I tell her. She is like "please hold". I am like "I have been on hold for 42 minutes". She is like "No way you were on hold that long, we are not that busy"...and argues with me about it. I am looking right at the call timer.

She comes back and I tell her I am interested in one of the new $70 plans. She goes on about being a new customer. I am like.."well two of the services are new". She bluntly tells me I don't qualify. I am like what if I cut off my internet, try Verizon, and come back. She is like "Oh, you can disconnect service for 30 days, then get the deal". I am like so you would risk letting me try someone else's service rather than just giving someone who has been a customer 10 years the deal anyone off the street with no account gets? She is like "Sir I don't make the rules".

I am like "Okay, well what can you do?". She is like " For an existing customer, the rate for the $69 dollar new customer plan would be $140..and it's only locked in 6 months vs the 2 years on the other plan". That obviously floored me. An existing long term customer and I have to pay double a new one? I expressed frustration and her response was "Is there anything else you need". I hung up.

Now I am not dumb..I get they want new customers and low ball those deals. But I also know they go into it understanding there will be existing customer backlash. Companies like directTV make an strong attempt to keep customers when their promos end.

I just thought I would post so maybe someone else does not see those deals and waste an hour for nothing.

Forkian

They all do it. DirecTV screws existing customers too. Best just to play the game and switch back and forth every couple years.

Goldenhawk

Read the fine print, and don't miss the fact that many of those "new customer" "deals" are time-limited; they are offering a temporary discount, after which the rates skyrocket. In the long run, you might be better off keeping your current plan.

transporter

Earlier in the year we dumped everything Atlantic Broadband except internet to just get Hulu and Netflix. I did not want to do it because I lost Orioles games (Masn), but could not justify a $280 cable bill after DVR, extra boxes, HBO and what not. So now we pay them $90 for internet service.

I went to their site, and noticed that they had several promos. One that caught my eyes was $69 for internet, phone, and 60 channels (including locals and MASN) for two years. That's less than I pay for just internet. It of course had the caveat of being for "new" customers..however in my mind, the TV and phone would be new service. Even if I did not get that rate something in the ball park would be good.

https://atlanticbb.com/bundles-deals/internet-tv-phone

So I call them today to see what they can do. I ended up waiting on hold for 42 MINUTES. Even worse, their hold music every 4 minutes or so makes a ringing sound like someone is picking up...but in reality some kind of ad plays.

Finally a woman picks up. She asks for my number, and I tell her. She is like "please hold". I am like "I have been on hold for 42 minutes". She is like "No way you were on hold that long, we are not that busy"...and argues with me about it. I am looking right at the call timer.

She comes back and I tell her I am interested in one of the new $70 plans. She goes on about being a new customer. I am like.."well two of the services are new". She bluntly tells me I don't qualify. I am like what if I cut off my internet, try Verizon, and come back. She is like "Oh, you can disconnect service for 30 days, then get the deal". I am like so you would risk letting me try someone else's service rather than just giving someone who has been a customer 10 years the deal anyone off the street with no account gets? She is like "Sir I don't make the rules".

I am like "Okay, well what can you do?". She is like " For an existing customer, the rate for the $69 dollar new customer plan would be $140..and it's only locked in 6 months vs the 2 years on the other plan". That obviously floored me. An existing long term customer and I have to pay double a new one? I expressed frustration and her response was "Is there anything else you need". I hung up.

Now I am not dumb..I get they want new customers and low ball those deals. But I also know they go into it understanding there will be existing customer backlash. Companies like directTV make an strong attempt to keep customers when their promos end.

I just thought I would post so maybe someone else does not see those deals and waste an hour for nothing.

Wow....you have certainly joined the right message board...you will fit right in with this crew.

You spent 42 minutes on hold...over a cable package deal? :doh: