Revelation 11 torment for torment

seekeroftruth

Revelation 11:7 Now when they have finished their testimony, the beast that comes up from the Abyss will attack them, and overpower and kill them. 8 Their bodies will lie in the public square of the great city—which is figuratively called Sodom and Egypt—where also their Lord was crucified. 9 For three and a half days some from every people, tribe, language and nation will gaze on their bodies and refuse them burial. 10 The inhabitants of the earth will gloat over them and will celebrate by sending each other gifts, because these two prophets had tormented those who live on the earth.​

Well now... these two witnesses must have really made people angry. They won't even bury them.

This is from amazingdiscoveries.org.

At the end of the 1,260 years when the “two witnesses” “have finished” prophesying “clothed in sackcloth” the beast comes out of the “bottomless pit” to “make war against them,” “and kill them.” The excesses and corruption of the Papal Church System and the church-supported aristocracy got so bad that their firmest supporter, France, became their worst enemy. This nation not only rejected Catholicism but God Himself; they cast out all morals and everything Christian and set up a new religion glorifying man, reason, and intellect of gods.

During “The Reign of Terror” in France, the Bible was not only openly rejected but was also forbidden and publicly burned. For “three days and a half” (symbolizing 3.5 literal years) the Bible would appear to be “dead.” For three and a half years the Revolutionaries of France did all in their power to oppose and destroy the Bible.

France embraced an atheistic philosophy/religion and became part of the “great city” of false religions. Its characteristics are symbolized by “Sodom and Egypt where also our lord was crucified.” “Sodom” is a notorious Biblical symbol for sexual perversion. Genesis 19:4-11; Jude 7. “Egypt” symbolizes atheism: “Who is the Lord that I should obey His voice to let Israel go?” Exodus 5:2. “Where also our Lord was crucified” represents Christ, crucified in the person of His faithful followers when they are persecuted. John 13:20; Matthew 25:40, 45. In Hebrews 6:4-6 those who once loved Christ and are guilty of willful apostasy are said to “crucify… the Son of God afresh.” France during the French Revolution embraced sexual licentiousness and atheism, rejected the Bible, and persecuted all Christians, both the true and the false together.​

Oh I have nothing to say....

This is from blueletterbible.org.

The two witnesses are killed by the beast that ascends out of the bottomless pit (first introduced in Revelation 9:11, most likely Satan himself) but their ministry is not cut short. They fully accomplish their task (when they finish their testimony).

And their dead bodies will lie in the street of the great city which spiritually is called Sodom and Egypt, where also our Lord was crucified: The two witnesses are killed in the city of Jerusalem, which is described in three illustrative terms.

- As Sodom, speaking of immorality
- As Egypt, speaking of oppression and slavery
- As the great city, a term often applied to "Babylon," the headquarters of Antichrist (Revelation 16:19, 17:18, 18:10, 18:16, 18:18, 18:19, 18:21)​
If, during the first three and one-half years, Jerusalem's leadership is in league with the Antichrist, it is easy to see how these titles apply. Any city in love with the Antichrist, or entering into a covenant with him, could be called Sodom, Egypt, and Babylon.

Those who dwell on the earth will rejoice over them, make merry, and send gifts to one another: The earth sees and rejoices over the deaths of the two witnesses. The fact that this is seen by all people, tribes, tongues, and nations is perhaps an oblique prophecy of modern mass media.

It is amazing - and not far-fetched at all - to think of a live, worldwide broadcast on CNN, "Live from Jerusalem," and seeing the amazing scene described here taking place.

The idea is also that the world treats these two witnesses in a humiliating manner. "To have his dead body lie in view of all was the worst humiliation a person could suffer from his enemies." (Johnson)

Make merry, and send gifts to one another: Donald Grey Barnhouse tells of a Christmas card with Revelation 11:10 on its cover - a terrible misquoting of the Scriptures!​

Because these two prophets tormented those who dwell on the earth: The preaching of these two witnesses and their call to repentance was a torment for many, because they could not stand to hear the truth while they loved their lie.

Have you ever seen one of those guys with a sign that say "Repent, the end is near" standing on a street corner? The guy I saw didn't stand out too much... other than the yelling and the sign. The guy I saw stationed himself near the metro entrance. People walked around him like he was a lightpole.... in the way. Some scowled at him because he was in their way.

Now I've seen people handing out Christian pamphlets on street corners. They are innocuous compared to the guy preaching "Repent, the end is near". While people will sometimes scowl and turn down the pamphlet...none seem to show the level of "disgust" that appears on the faces of some people who come upon the guy preaching "Repent, the end is near". I think I even heard one man say "Yeah right.... get out of my way" to the guy with the sign.

The meaner humans become.... the more likely they are to throw a party over the swollen body of a Prophet.

Sorry... I do think that's one of the truths in the Bible.

:coffee: