Thread: Where wind power rules...

Where wind power rules...

Percentage of UK electrical power provided by wind is remarkable.

https://www.offshorewind.biz/2018/11...1-07&uid=69352
    "I've got to start eating at home more" - J. Dahmer

Quote Originally Posted by Gilligan View Post
    Percentage of UK electrical power provided by wind is remarkable.

https://www.offshorewind.biz/2018/11...1-07&uid=69352
    : I would not have though even an island nation could generate tens of GW from off-shore wind. I admit to being wrong in my assumption, and impressed.

Now, that 20 GW "capacity" - how often is it actually achieved, I wonder.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sapidus View Post
    I'm sure Trump will be charged with more crimes before Hillary.

Please pin this for future reference

Pinned, as requested.....

Quote Originally Posted by This_person View Post
    Now, that 20 GW "capacity" - how often is it actually achieved, I wonder.
    Average capacity factor varies between 30 and 40% on a seasonal basis. So 100% is rare and, sometimes, even newsworthy. I recall when one large grid - I think it was a German one - exceeded 110% for a period.

The natural variations in wind speed are smoothed out a great deal by the sheer magnitude of the wind power grid and how widely dispersed it is. The days where "the wind ain't blowing" caused major disruption are largely a thing of the past for places like the UK and Germany, and both have dramatically reduced the capacity of standby power generation facilities...something that is controlled by government oversight and legislation.

The offshore wind industry just getting off the ground in the US won't have too much effect on overall power distribution. Even when fully developed, it will represent a tiny fraction of overall power consumed.

A key enabling technology for wind and solar is storage...and that is where a lot of R&D is being focused right now, with some pretty darned large storage banks - glorified batteries - already delivered in some places.

The Us is lagging way, way behind in all of this but that's a blessing...we get to reap the benefits of mature technology without the cost of developing it.
    "I've got to start eating at home more" - J. Dahmer

Members who have read this thread: 16