Best class taken in high school

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
I didn't know where to stick this topic. This seemed like a good place.

What was the best class you took in high school?

Looking back the typing class I took in my sophomore year gave me the best bang for the buck. I didn't realize it at the time but touch typing is a very useful skill that has served me well over the years.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
History and Social Studies. Surprise surprise. I looked forward to them every day.

littlelady

God bless the USA
English and Spanish. I did win statewide in a competition for best typist and shorthand back in 1970, but that doesn’t matter, anymore. :lol:

Last edited:

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
History - 'nuff siad
Graphics Arts - learned Off Set Printing how to run an AB Dick 360 Press, making plates, stripping up a negative - Photography developing B&W film, making prints
Construction [basic wall building, solder a pipe joint, set a door put a lock in a door]

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Even before HS, I loved history, but my favorite class was the one that I could sleep in.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Toss-up between Physics and Chemistry.

I disliked most if not all of my history classes because I found them shallow and boring; I've been a very intense history buff since I was in grade school and read every history book I could get my hands on (still do), so what was in the text books was pretty lean and already familiar stuff.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
Vocational electronics, forty years later I still remember the theories I learned there.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Toss-up between Physics and Chemistry.

I disliked most if not all of my history classes because I found them shallow and boring; I've been a very intense history buff since I was in grade school and read every history book I could get my hands on (still do), so what was in the text books was pretty lean and already familiar stuff.

I don't come from an educated family, so school was my introduction to history, along with everything else. My book shelves are jam packed with history, along with old civics, social studies, literature, physics...If the SHTF, I have my own library. But, yeah, history. Those who don't know it, are doomed to repeat it. Those who do know it, will know how to handle those who choose repeat it.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

I had the most amazing History teacher - Aldie Johnson. He not only taught the subject, but also the lead in and aftermath to give us a big picture and global perspective, and how it all ties in together. I had him for American History I and II, and World History as well. Easily my favorite teacher.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I had the most amazing History teacher - Aldie Johnson. He not only taught the subject, but also the lead in and aftermath to give us a big picture and global perspective, and how it all ties in together. I had him for American History I and II, and World History as well. Easily my favorite teacher.

Huge factor, of course. I don't even recall a single one of my History teacher's names. As it turned out, the two of my most favorite teachers were the ones I had for Physics and Chemistry. To this day I still give them a lot of credit for the career path I ended up choosing.

frequentflier

happy to be living
I loved English and liked History in grammar school. I completed 9th grade at a high school I hated and didn't like any of the classes, teachers or fellow students. Dropped out and got my GED at 16.

limblips

Vocational electronics, forty years later I still remember the theories I learned there.

Yeah, that and auto mechanics. Maybe not as glamorous as the STEM route but I have saved a lot of money over the years repairing my own stuff. I have also scored many a case of beer and some cash repairing things for others so it has paid off! There is a smug satisfaction in repairing things that others just throw away. My SO hates trash day because I am always bringing something home to fix and give away or sell.

Last edited:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Yeah, that and auto mechanics. Maybe not as glamorous as the STEM route but I have saved a lot of money over the years repairing my own stuff.

Not to mention the world needs auto mechanics and other people who solve our everyday problems. I'd like to see more focus on that sort of thing than STEM.

black dog

Free America
Not to mention the world needs auto mechanics and other people who solve our everyday problems. I'd like to see more focus on that sort of thing than STEM.

The St Mary's Co Tech center is full of kids everyday. My son took the cnc machine class for two years, he learned the basics for running a cnc machine. The important part was, he learned how to write cnc code.. It's a job getter about anywhere.

Edit,
I believe they should give kids real life assessment tests when entering JHS and start to guide them on career paths that work with their positives.
A kid that has 4-5 years worth of welding, body shop, nursing,cooking and so on will be so better prepared to enter the job market in a few years..

Last edited:

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
My SO hates trash day because I am always bringing something home to fix and give away or sell.

LOL!! Back when we still had several operating landfills around the county, my then-wife always dreaded trash hauling day. She referred to the landfill as the "trash exchange" and she claimed I sometimes came back with more than I took. She might have been right. ;-)

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Best class was "Agriculture 1"

By about the 6th week we could get the schools "farm truck" and tell the teacher we were headed to the school farm in Loveville, where the MVA and State Highway place are now, and make a pit stop at Third Base for 10oz refreshments along the way!

black dog

Free America
Best class was "Agriculture 1"

By about the 6th week we could get the schools "farm truck" and tell the teacher we were headed to the school farm in Loveville, where the MVA and State Highway place are now, and make a pit stop at Third Base for 10oz refreshments along the way!

Yoder's can drive?

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
My book shelves are jam packed with history, along with old civics, social studies, literature, physics...If the SHTF, I have my own library.

Audels books from the 1910 - 1940's Plumbing, Carpentry, Electricity, Gardening .... etc

good basic knowledge [most sets can be picked up from ebay for 20 - 50 bucks]

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Edit,
I believe they should give kids real life assessment tests when entering JHS and start to guide them on career paths that work with their positives.
A kid that has 4-5 years worth of welding, body shop, nursing,cooking and so on will be so better prepared to enter the job market in a few years..

like the ASVAB [or whatever the military calls it now]

if someone has a aptitude for college classes maybe a Gov Backed Scholarship with a aggressive repayment schedule
if someone wants to buck the Aptitude Scores and go to college, they pay their own way [bank / parents / work]