Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Best class taken in high school

Quote Originally Posted by vraiblonde View Post
    I had the most amazing History teacher - Aldie Johnson. He not only taught the subject, but also the lead in and aftermath to give us a big picture and global perspective, and how it all ties in together. I had him for American History I and II, and World History as well. Easily my favorite teacher.
    Huge factor, of course. I don't even recall a single one of my History teacher's names. As it turned out, the two of my most favorite teachers were the ones I had for Physics and Chemistry. To this day I still give them a lot of credit for the career path I ended up choosing.
    "I've got to start eating at home more" - J. Dahmer

I loved English and liked History in grammar school. I completed 9th grade at a high school I hated and didn't like any of the classes, teachers or fellow students. Dropped out and got my GED at 16.
    "It's nice to be important but it's also important to be nice."

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin99 View Post
    Vocational electronics, forty years later I still remember the theories I learned there.
    Yeah, that and auto mechanics. Maybe not as glamorous as the STEM route but I have saved a lot of money over the years repairing my own stuff. I have also scored many a case of beer and some cash repairing things for others so it has paid off! There is a smug satisfaction in repairing things that others just throw away. My SO hates trash day because I am always bringing something home to fix and give away or sell.
    Last edited by limblips; 11-09-2018 at 11:02 AM.
    Being a left-handed conservative is tough. When somebody calls me a lefty I want to punch them.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by limblips View Post
    Yeah, that and auto mechanics. Maybe not as glamorous as the STEM route but I have saved a lot of money over the years repairing my own stuff.
    Not to mention the world needs auto mechanics and other people who solve our everyday problems. I'd like to see more focus on that sort of thing than STEM.
    "Too much agreement kills a chat."
    ~Eldridge Cleaver

Quote Originally Posted by vraiblonde View Post
    Not to mention the world needs auto mechanics and other people who solve our everyday problems. I'd like to see more focus on that sort of thing than STEM.
    The St Mary's Co Tech center is full of kids everyday. My son took the cnc machine class for two years, he learned the basics for running a cnc machine. The important part was, he learned how to write cnc code.. It's a job getter about anywhere.

Edit,
    I believe they should give kids real life assessment tests when entering JHS and start to guide them on career paths that work with their positives.
    A kid that has 4-5 years worth of welding, body shop, nursing,cooking and so on will be so better prepared to enter the job market in a few years..
    Last edited by black dog; 11-09-2018 at 11:34 AM.
    No one cares.

Quote Originally Posted by limblips View Post
    My SO hates trash day because I am always bringing something home to fix and give away or sell.
    LOL!! Back when we still had several operating landfills around the county, my then-wife always dreaded trash hauling day. She referred to the landfill as the "trash exchange" and she claimed I sometimes came back with more than I took. She might have been right. ;-)
    "I've got to start eating at home more" - J. Dahmer

Best class was "Agriculture 1"

By about the 6th week we could get the schools "farm truck" and tell the teacher we were headed to the school farm in Loveville, where the MVA and State Highway place are now, and make a pit stop at Third Base for 10oz refreshments along the way!

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    Best class was "Agriculture 1"

By about the 6th week we could get the schools "farm truck" and tell the teacher we were headed to the school farm in Loveville, where the MVA and State Highway place are now, and make a pit stop at Third Base for 10oz refreshments along the way!
    Yoder's can drive?
    No one cares.

Quote Originally Posted by mAlice View Post

My book shelves are jam packed with history, along with old civics, social studies, literature, physics...If the SHTF, I have my own library.

Audels books from the 1910 - 1940's Plumbing, Carpentry, Electricity, Gardening .... etc

good basic knowledge [most sets can be picked up from ebay for 20 - 50 bucks]
    We’re tempted to suggest a conspiracy here — but it’s just liberals agreeing yet again that conservatives have hidden, evil motives, because modern liberals simply can’t conceive of any other reason to disagree with the liberal consensus.

“Moral precepts are constant through the ages and not obedient to circumstances.”

Quote Originally Posted by black dog View Post
    Edit,
    I believe they should give kids real life assessment tests when entering JHS and start to guide them on career paths that work with their positives.
    A kid that has 4-5 years worth of welding, body shop, nursing,cooking and so on will be so better prepared to enter the job market in a few years..

like the ASVAB [or whatever the military calls it now]

if someone has a aptitude for college classes maybe a Gov Backed Scholarship with a aggressive repayment schedule
    if someone wants to buck the Aptitude Scores and go to college, they pay their own way [bank / parents / work]
    We’re tempted to suggest a conspiracy here — but it’s just liberals agreeing yet again that conservatives have hidden, evil motives, because modern liberals simply can’t conceive of any other reason to disagree with the liberal consensus.

“Moral precepts are constant through the ages and not obedient to circumstances.”

Members who have read this thread: 44