Box office receipts

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
When you go to the movies and plunk down your money to see a film, how is that money divided up? ANyone here know the backstory? I imagine there is some ballpark ratio of how much goes back to the movie producers.

I see Bohemian Rhapsody so far has taken in $285M worldwide with $100M taken in the US. The movie budget was $52M. It isn't all profit though. The theater has bills to pay, so all the money can't go back to the movie producers. I would assume that a movie that earns over 5 times what it cost to make is profitable.

The highest earning movie internationally was Avatar. A budget of $237M and earned $2.78B. Some movie executive went out on a limb to approve a movie with that budget.

Last edited:

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
When you go to the movies and plunk down your money to see a film, how is that money divided up? ANyone here know the backstory? I imagine there is some ballpark ratio of how much goes back to the movie producers.

I see Bohemian Rhapsody so far has taken in $285M worldwide with $100M taken in the US. The movie budget was $52M. It isn't all profit though. The theater has bills to pay, so all the money can't go back to the movie producers. I would assume that a movie that earns over 5 times what it cost to make is profitable.

The highest earning movie internationally was Avatar. A budget of $237M and earned $2.78B. Some movie executive went out on a limb to approve a movie with that budget.

I never saw that one.