House Democrats Plan 'Aggressive' Gun Control Push As Soon As They Regain Control

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
After a shooting at a California bar last week that claimed a dozen lives, Democrats have decided to shift (briefly) away from prioritizing several investigations into the Trump administration and President Donald Trump, and focus instead on passing strict gun control measures, including universal background checks, a national ban on "high capacity magazines," a ban on "assault-style" weapons, and a provision that would allow law enforcement to temporarily confiscate weapons from individuals deemed a threat to themselves or others.

Rep. Mike Thompson (D-CA) told The Wall Street Journal last week that he intends to immediately push for the universal background check legislation which would require gun retailers and gun sellers to register all gun purchases through the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS). The effort would close what Democrats call the "gun show loophole," which they believe allows individuals to purchase guns in private transactions — at gun shows and elsewhere — without registering their firearms with any state or federal body.

Newly-elected Democratic Rep. Lucy McBath (GA) is a former spokeswoman for Everytown for Gun Safety, the nation's leading gun control advocacy organization, and is likely to join the push for a national gun registry and a national ban on "assault-style" firearms, even though Democrats have difficulty explaining what an "assault" weapons ban would outlaw.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/38212/house-democrats-plan-aggressive-gun-control-push-emily-zanotti

AFAIK the Cali shooter PASSED the required background checks

California Is Already Tough on Guns. After a Mass Shooting, Some Wonder if It’s Enough

Rommey

...passing strict gun control measures, including universal background checks, a national ban on "high capacity magazines," a ban on "assault-style" weapons, and a provision that would allow law enforcement to temporarily confiscate weapons from individuals deemed a threat to themselves or others.
Would any of these measures prevent the recent shootings? Would any of these measures prevent the shootings in major cities like Chicago or Baltimore?

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Would any of these measures prevent the recent shootings?

:smack:

that is NOT the point .... we must 'do' something so you 'feel safe'

then when that does not work, we demand MORE Restrictions to Gun Ownership

Hijinx

And a provision that would allow law enforcement to temporarily confiscate weapons from individuals deemed a threat to themselves or others.

Temporary my azz. If they get your guns you will have hell getting them back
We have a dead Marylander now who was going to have his guns confiscated before dawn.
No trial , no hearing, they just come in the night and take your property.

Who does the deeming? Why no hearing? Just some relative or neighbor with a hard-on for you makes a charge and your rights are stepped all over.

That's fascism and it's BS. You don't even get to know who made the charge.

SamSpade

What gets me is that the ENDLESS accusation the right endures is that they don't give one crap
about how many people are killed so long as they get to keep their guns.

To me, this is like a teacher whose solution to an unruly kid is to slap every OTHER KID
in class in the hopes it will do SOMETHING.

Because the problem isn't whether or not gun control can or can't work, but every proposal the
left comes up with can easily be shown to never accomplish ANYTHING. They'll say we need to
ban *THESE* guns, when in the most recent shooting - not one was used. They keep proposing
ideas that do not work - safe zones which are the most target rich environment for lunatics looking
to kill.

FIND a proposal that has been shown to work - here, in the U.S. and not in some far off region
where guns haven't been part of the culture for 300 years. SHOW me it works, and I'll listen.

But I will no more listen to gun control to stop crime anymore than I want to see canings and
corporal punishment regularly administered to stop violence in schools.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Because the problem isn't whether or not gun control can or can't work, but every proposal the
left comes up with can easily be shown to never accomplish ANYTHING. They'll say we need to
ban *THESE* guns, when in the most recent shooting - not one was used. They keep proposing
ideas that do not work

The ideas they propose aren't being proposed to combat criminal activity.

They're being proposed to combat gun ownership.

The more onerous they can make it to exercise the civil right, the greater the number of citizens that will forgo the exercise of the right out of frustration to compliance.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
The ideas they propose aren't being proposed to combat criminal activity.

They're being proposed to combat gun ownership.

The more onerous they can make it to exercise the civil right, the greater the number of citizens that will forgo the exercise of the right out of frustration to compliance.

Pretty much ...