Menopause made my hair wavier

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I used to have thick straight hair - had to perm to get any wave at all. Since menopause, it's wavy - nice beachy waves, so I like it, but I can't wear it straight unless I get a professional blowout (which I only do when I get my hair cut). I googled it and apparently it's a thing: women's hair texture changes with their hormones.

:crazy:

lucky_bee

RBF expert
...tmi....

Well...this is the Ladies' forum...

My hair changed completely in my mid-twenties. It'd always been wavy, but then it got curly and 10x thicker. I've been very blessed with nice hair...can't say I have many other envious assets though :lol: so lemme have this one, thank you Lord.

luvmygdaughters

Used to have thick red/auburn hair, nice texture, great body, etc. But than, I got pregnant with my first child and that was the end of that. Never recovered. Even when I went thru menopause.

terbear1225

Not at menopause yet but Ive noticed the gray (silver) ones have a mind of their own. My hair has always been straw straight but the gray ones like to stick out in random directions.

lucky_bee

RBF expert
Not at menopause yet but Ive noticed the gray (silver) ones have a mind of their own. My hair has always been straw straight but the gray ones like to stick out in random directions.

Gray hair has a totally different structure to non-gray hair. It doesn't contain any melanin, or color, so there's no outer layer. This causes that outer layer to damage more easily, lending it to a more frazzled, course and kinky look.

While I currently have lovely body and curl to my hair, I've also been coloring it since I was 16 due to premature graying :bawl:

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Gray hair has a totally different structure to non-gray hair. It doesn't contain any melanin, or color, so there's no outer layer. This causes that outer layer to damage more easily, lending it to a more frazzled, course and kinky look.

While I currently have lovely body and curl to my hair, I've also been coloring it since I was 16 due to premature graying :bawl:

My hairdresser assures me I have minimal gray hairs! But I still like to change colors now and again.

frequentflier

happy to be living
59 and I have never colored my hair; there is some grey showing.
My body has chosen to not go through menopause.
Yet.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
OMG you poor thing. I was never so glad for anything in my life.

I was diagnosed with Premature Ovarian Failure which is early menopause at age 32! I had my two kids and that is all I wanted so I was over-joyed to be so young and never have to deal with a period again!! I never suffered with any of the normal side-effects like hot flashes, etc. Been 14 years of bliss!!

lucky_bee

RBF expert
My hairdresser assures me I have minimal gray hairs! But I still like to change colors now and again.

You're very fortunate! Mine told me if I didn't color my hair I'd be about 85% gray :bawl: At 31 I'm just not ready to embrace that :lol: Give me 20 more years and I'll probably stop caring though.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
You're very fortunate! Mine told me if I didn't color my hair I'd be about 85% gray :bawl: At 31 I'm just not ready to embrace that :lol: Give me 20 more years and I'll probably stop caring though.

The women in my maternal family really never have had the stereotypical gray hair. My 96 y/o grandmother still has her blonde hair.