Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NY taxpayers to pay $48,000 per Amazon HQ job

Quote Originally Posted by officeguy View Post
    He would have located those back-office jobs in NoVa and NYC without the aggressive tax giveaways.
    You mean "could"? And I'm not sure if "back office" is the right description. There will be some of that, it's inherent in a headquarters, but there looks to a healthy portion of R&D and other such non- admin jobs...

https://www.businessinsider.com/amaz...ata-engineer-1
    "I am capable of much unpleasantness."

Quote Originally Posted by stgislander View Post
    So I guess Maryland couldn't offer them a sweet enough deal huh?
    Iím sure Va was chosen over Maryland due to it is a right to work state. Maryland still kisses Unions aresess
    When you lie down with dogs, you're going to get fleas.....

Quote Originally Posted by vraiblonde View Post
    Beers at Krakken bar with Bird Dog. For all of you who wondered, he's normal. :jet:

Amazon must have some pull. The big news last night was that Crystal City, Potomac Yards, and part of Pentagon City has been renamed "National Landing" for the new HQ.
    "Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever." - Shane Falco

Quote Originally Posted by glhs837 View Post
    You mean "could"? And I'm not sure if "back office" is the right description. There will be some of that, it's inherent in a headquarters, but there looks to a healthy portion of R&D and other such non- admin jobs...

https://www.businessinsider.com/amaz...ata-engineer-1
    I meant would. The decision to locate those non-HQ office farms at existing Amazon locations in VA and NY was made first. The circus with the great competition only served to blackmail those jurisdictions into making concessions and to benefit from the added attention to the brand.

Quote Originally Posted by Bird Dog View Post
    I’m sure Va was chosen over Maryland due to it is a right to work state. Maryland still kisses Unions aresess
    Also MD puts steep taxes on business equipment and inventory. The NoVa counties don't.

So in plain English, is the government cutting Amazon a check or is Amazon not cutting the check to the government?

Quote Originally Posted by Tech View Post
    So in plain English, is the government cutting Amazon a check or is Amazon not cutting the check to the government?
    VA is cutting them an actual $22,000 check for each job created. NY mostly gives Amazon a tax abatement (Excelsior credit) which will be paid for with unrelenting high business taxes on small companies that are not tied into the statewide corruption racket.

Members who have read this thread: 50