AOC claims she can't afford DC apartment, but records show she has at least $15,000 in savings

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
“I have three months without a salary before I’m a member of Congress. So, how do I get an apartment? Those little things are very real,” Ocasio-Cortez told The New York Times.

"I have three months without a salary before I’m a member of Congress. So, how do I get an apartment? Those little things are very real."
— Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

Most have taken Ocasio-Cortez’ claims at their face value, praising her for drawing attention to the housing crisis and that the electoral system is designed to discourage working-class people from running for Congress.

But it appears that her claims of financial hardship collapse under further scrutiny, unless Ocasio-Cortez spent her savings like the 1 percent of the country and ended up cashless after the election.

Ocasio-Cortez claims she can't afford DC apartment, but records show she has at least $15,000 in savings

Chris0nllyn

What's the point of this title?

It's widely accepted that one have 6 months of expenses in your savings account. According to the article, the median rent is $2,700/mo. 6 months of that alone is $16,200 not accounting for any other expenses.

I'd argue $15,000 isn't enough.

This ignores the fact that the article says it's an "investment account" which likely means it's a CD and not a traditional, liquid, savings account.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
What's the point of this title?

It's widely accepted that one have 6 months of expenses in your savings account. According to the article, the median rent is $2,700/mo. 6 months of that alone is $16,200 not accounting for any other expenses.

I'd argue $15,000 isn't enough.

This ignores the fact that the article says it's an "investment account" which likely means it's a CD and not a traditional, liquid, savings account.

You should lend her the money. :yay:

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Easy peasy...

“People often say, like, how are you going to pay for it and I find the question so puzzling because ‘How do you pay for something that’s more affordable? How do you pay for cheaper rent?’ You just pay for it,” she said.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
“I have three months without a salary before I’m a member of Congress. So, how do I get an apartment? Those little things are very real,” Ocasio-Cortez told The New York Times.
"I have three months without a salary before I’m a member of Congress. So, how do I get an apartment? Those little things are very real."
— Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

Most have taken Ocasio-Cortez’ claims at their face value, praising her for drawing attention to the housing crisis and that the electoral system is designed to discourage working-class people from running for Congress.

But it appears that her claims of financial hardship collapse under further scrutiny, unless Ocasio-Cortez spent her savings like the 1 percent of the country and ended up cashless after the election.

Ocasio-Cortez claims she can't afford DC apartment, but records show she has at least $15,000 in savings

Several senators and congressmen sleep in their offices, what's wrong with that solution?

Rommey

She's from NYC (elected to represent the Bronx and Queens). Where is she living now? Its not like she's coming from Small Town, USA where apartments would be reasonably cheap. The rents in NYC are likely comparable to the DC area. How is she paying rent now without a salary?

She's going to be living somewhere before January...if she wants to move to DC before then, she will have to do what everyone else that rents does when they move...
However, I suspect she will have some Dem donor pony up some living/financial arrangement...of course she will need to report that or it could be a violation of FEC and/or ethics rules.

Clem72

Why don't you read the article before commenting?

It literally says "she has 3 months before she has an office"

So what's the problem? She has 3 months before she needs to move to DC. Do people usually require housing or housing costs to be given to them 3 months before starting a new job?

Sapidus

She's from NYC (elected to represent the Bronx and Queens). Where is she living now? Its not like she's coming from Small Town, USA where apartments would be reasonably cheap. The rents in NYC are likely comparable to the DC area. How is she paying rent now without a salary?

She's going to be living somewhere before January...if she wants to move to DC before then, she will have to do what everyone else that rents does when they move...
However, I suspect she will have some Dem donor pony up some living/financial arrangement...of course she will need to report that or it could be a violation of FEC and/or ethics rules.

You mean like Scott Pruitt did for many months without reporting it? Hmm.

There is no reason to think that she won't do exactly that yet you are all jumping down her throat for saying DC is a expensive city. If she wants to live anywhere near her office she will certainly pay more than she would in the Bronx or Queens

Rommey

You mean like Scott Pruitt did for many months without reporting it? Hmm.
Well potentially similar, but not the same. Pruitt was a member of the Executive Branch and not elected to the Legislative Branch...the FEC rules don't really apply to him. Try to stay on task for a change instead of always trying to get in a jab to somehow justify it.

There is no reason to think that she won't do exactly that yet you are all jumping down her throat for saying DC is a expensive city. If she wants to live anywhere near her office she will certainly pay more than she would in the Bronx or Queens
I'm not "jumping down her throat for saying DC is a expensive city". I'm saying she is complaining about the cost of a DC apartment yet she comes form another high rent city. So how is it that one can live in NYC where rents for many "nice" apartments are in the $2-3K range and similar apartments in the Capital Hill area are in the same range?

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
IMG_1717.JPG