Why Teachers Choose to Home School Their Own Children

mAlice

professional daydreamer
“In biology, there’s a descriptor – “indicator species”. An indicator species may be unusually sensitive to environmental changes, and biologists monitor the indicator species for signs that something is amiss in the environment.

I wonder when somebody is going to notice that teachers are an indicator species. When we leave public schools with our children, people should consider that there’s something amiss.”

http://happinessishereblog.com/2018...oK7VfQOiiPzTbkjeDyphA31Gc8-eLApn4O4MWiTipO4vA

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
This article makes it appear that many of these teachers are homeschooling their grandchildren and NOT homeschooling their own children.

I have no doubt that home school makes sense for a lot of people. You can focus on a few kids and get through the lessons quickly. Spending more time on the concepts they don't fully grasp.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
This article makes it appear that many of these teachers are homeschooling their grandchildren and NOT homeschooling their own children.

I have no doubt that home school makes sense for a lot of people. You can focus on a few kids and get through the lessons quickly. Spending more time on the concepts they don't fully grasp.

I don't agree with everything in the article, but overall, parents (and teachers) are increasingly disillusioned with the direction that education has taken. The fact that everything in this article comes from experienced educators only serves to validate my position on home schooling. As for grandparents doing the home schooling, I don't find that surprising at all. Many of todays young mothers and fathers seem incapable of raising the children they brought into the world. As grandparents, my husband and I work with our daughter in the home schooling effort. We each draw from our strengths to ensure he receives the best. A day will come when we hit a brick wall. We know that. Some things require a communication or understanding that's not happening. That's when we hire a tutor.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I don't agree with everything in the article, but overall, parents (and teachers) are increasingly disillusioned with the direction that education has taken.

They did it to themselves. Parents in particular could have stood up to this nonsense and nipped it in the bud, but they didn't. So now they get what they get.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
They did it to themselves. Parents in particular could have stood up to this nonsense and nipped it in the bud, but they didn't. So now they get what they get.

That's not entirely true. Many parents have stood up against these changes, but have bulldozed into brick walls of bureaucracy. The opponent groups are growing, but still not enough to break through.

That said, it won't matter in the long run, and that's why I don't do much more than share the information. Nothing will go back to "normal" at this point. I've said for years that funding for education will be non-existent in my lifetime. I truly believe that. It'll start with attrition of funds, due to kids being home schooled, and snowball into the government simply not being able to fund it. I could be wrong, but I'd put money on it.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

Obama Brought us Common Core [or did this start with Bush]

any rate this is why a FEDERAL Dept of Ed is such a bad idea, seriously how do you fight this beast

oh it starts innocently enough ....
here are a Few Fed $$ to help you long ....
oh btw you need to meet these requirements and report on these standards

Now YOU NEED the Cash and you are stuck