Virginia Gov. Northam (D) Promioses to Cover for Amazon

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam, a Democrat, has promised Amazon that the Old Dominion State would give the company two days’ notice about any Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) requests. This is being done to allow Amazon “to seek a protective order or other appropriate remedy.” So, Amazon will be given a heads up about anyone looking into the business so they can shut it down.

The Virginia government also promised it would only disclose what is required under applicable law, cooperate “with the company,” in responding, and “limit disclosure, refuse to disclose, and redact and/or omit portions of materials to the maximum extent permitted by applicable law.”

https://www.dailywire.com/news/38396/virginia-wooed-amazon-state-incredibly-absurd-ashe-schow

Chris0nllyn

I'm glad they didn't come to MD. Even though MD (and another state...NC I believe?) offered more tax incentives, Amazon chose VA and NY for other reasons. Maybe cozy politicians?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I'm glad they didn't come to MD. Even though MD (and another state...NC I believe?) offered more tax incentives, Amazon chose VA and NY for other reasons. Maybe cozy politicians?

That appears to be the case.

Hey Virginia Democrats? You all voted for this crap. No complaining. :nono:

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member

I would said "maybe the cost of living was a factor", but I can't see either of their choices being any cheaper in that respect.

Chris0nllyn

I would said "maybe the cost of living was a factor", but I can't see either of their choices being any cheaper in that respect.

The other state I was thinking of was NJ who offered $5billion (+$2billion from Newark). MD offered $8.5 billion. Amazon chose their neighboring states who offered $1.52billion (NY) and $596million (VA) for some reason. It certainly looks like states don't need to offer subsidies as that's not a major driving factor in Amazon's case.

Some estimates (most of the Amazon bids were kept secret) for the other states range from $2.15 billion to $6.75 billion over 15 years. With that level of spending, average states could cut the corporate tax rates by 29% for all businesses. I'm not anti-capitalism or anti-business, but one doesn't have to look hard to see that NY would probably be better off lowering taxes for all thier businesses instead of trying to lure an already super-successful company to their state.

Cases like this are why people like AOC and Bernie Sanders are so popular.

Amazon recently bumper their minimum wage to $15. Yay for a private business doing what they wish. They then went to DC to lobby for a federal mimimum of $15. Boo for trying to use govt. to level the playing field.

The more likely scenario is that NY is full of powerful people and Crystal City is a stone's throw from DC and lobbyists. $2 billion in taxpayer money doesn't hurt either.

Hijinx

Sounds to me like Amazon bought themselves a Governor and has a Lease on the State Government.