Atlantic Broadband equipment

SamSpade

I notice they're advertising a new interface and new features which clearly comes with new hardware.

Do they offer all that to existing customers, or only new ones?

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I notice they're advertising a new interface and new features which clearly comes with new hardware.

Do they offer all that to existing customers, or only new ones?

Is this the talk to the remote feature? If so, I was wondering the same thing.

SamSpade

Is this the talk to the remote feature? If so, I was wondering the same thing.

Part of it - it's that commercial, to be sure, but they're describing an interface that will go to streaming channels also,
which I thought weird, since streaming is *THE COMPETITION*.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Part of it - it's that commercial, to be sure, but they're describing an interface that will go to streaming channels also,
which I thought weird, since streaming is *THE COMPETITION*.

I haven't noticed that one.

sparkyaclown

Atlantic Broadband uses Tivos for their equipment which has streaming of some services built in. I would think anyone could trade in their old equipment for the new ones.

MiddleGround

I have been noticing random speed issues. Sometimes, I will have my modem slow WWWAAAAYYYYYYY down usually during the evening/night hours. I have called 2 times already and they insist that it is my modem. Funny thing is, it starts working just fine the next morning. Does anyone know if they throttle speeds during peak hours?

stgislander

PREMO Member
Atlantic Broadband uses Tivos for their equipment which has streaming of some services built in. I would think anyone could trade in their old equipment for the new ones.

It's not a trade in. When my wife took our old DVR back for replacement (recording were all messed up), there were additional fees required. I'm thinking it was on the line of $100 or more.

Homer J

Power Chord
I have been noticing random speed issues. Sometimes, I will have my modem slow WWWAAAAYYYYYYY down usually during the evening/night hours. I have called 2 times already and they insist that it is my modem. Funny thing is, it starts working just fine the next morning. Does anyone know if they throttle speeds during peak hours?

I don't know if they throttle. Evening is when everyone else is online and streaming too, so it makes sense that there would be some drop off in speed. Their distribution hubs can get over crowded and cause slower speeds.

glhs837

Power with Control
Watching Netflix the other night was painful. And I'm all new from the box on the road in. I'm wondering how many owners are going to buy this ancient system thinking they can milk it for a year or two before they bail.......

MiddleGround

I don't know if they throttle. Evening is when everyone else is online and streaming too, so it makes sense that there would be some drop off in speed. Their distribution hubs can get over crowded and cause slower speeds.

Gotcha but, this is no ordinary "slow down." I am talking going from 100+Mbps download to 2Mbps download!

Goldenhawk

Just remember that in a cable modem network, everyone in your neighborhood shares bandwidth. It's not like DSL where you have a dedicated line to the central router and its massive fat pipe: instead, there's a medium-sized pipe to each neighborhood, and then everyone in the neighborhood connects to that same pipe.

So if little Johnny next door decides to download a 4Gb ISO of the next Linux distro, your Netflix watching will suffer.

So do your binge watching early in the morning while all the teenagers are asleep.

glhs837

Power with Control
Just remember that in a cable modem network, everyone in your neighborhood shares bandwidth. It's not like DSL where you have a dedicated line to the central router and its massive fat pipe: instead, there's a medium-sized pipe to each neighborhood, and then everyone in the neighborhood connects to that same pipe.

So if little Johnny next door decides to download a 4Gb ISO of the next Linux distro, your Netflix watching will suffer.

So do your binge watching early in the morning while all the teenagers are asleep.

Yeah, but my neighborhood off the pipe at Rt 5 near the Green Door is literally five houses. And the other four are inhabited only by older couples all in their 60s.

Goldenhawk

Yeah, but my neighborhood off the pipe at Rt 5 near the Green Door is literally five houses. And the other four are inhabited only by older couples all in their 60s.

...who've probably been hacked and are part of the zombie network spamming all of us with email and VOIP robocalls...thus the bandwidth use.

I don't know - but I can guess.