AOC - On Columbas Day

SamSpade

Actually, despite the arguments proposed, there's a generally simple one - Election Day is set on the first Tuesday after November 1.
Half of all Federal Holidays are moved to Mondays. Fixed ones stay where they are unless they fall on a weekend, where they are moved
to the closest weekday. So you can't "move it" to Monday. Making it kind of inconvenient.

There's of course, the fact that many private businesses and school systems don't observe Columbus Day as a holiday either.

I mean, I *get* the premise - if Election Day is a holiday, you get as many people as you can to the polls, but historically, that hasn't
posed a problem. We don't have a third to half of all voters not showing up because of work conflicts; it's apathy. I *know* people who
don't vote, and their answer is typically the same - what difference does it make? That politicians say a different game, but it comes out
the same. That's what they tell me - there's no point.

When Dunkin' Donuts gives away free donuts or 7 Eleven gives out free Slurpees - people show up. If the 4th of July is in the middle of the
week, people take time off to celebrate, either by an extra vacation day or an actual celebration at home. Making Election Day a holiday
won't change voter apathy.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
What do people do on Columbus Day?
Lay around and enjoy their day off.

What would they do if Election Day were a federal holiday?
Lay around and enjoy their day off.

AOC needs to go back to "slaying lewks". She's in WAY over her head with this government stuff.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
D20F9F5A-1910-44FD-B8CC-489E7DFA8EFB.jpeg