Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: The Horrific Story That Should Make Us Think Twice Before Giving Psychiatric Drugs To Kids

Quote Originally Posted by SamSpade View Post
    I've read many stories of FAS adults working in stores and walk away shaking their
    heads because they just witnessed a pregnant woman buying alcohol, and get upset because they don't want what THEY have given
    to another child. "Should I say something? Why would they do that?". Even with knowledge - there's resistance.

I hate to nitpick, but buying is not the same as consuming. My husband used to buy Tampons for me. Should the cashier ask him if he's going to use them? When I was a kid, I bought cigarettes for my mom. Not once did a clerk ask if I was going to smoke them. I buy beer/wine/liquor all the time. Doesn't mean I'm going to consume it. People need to stop projecting their paranoia into every day life.
    Je suis prest

Quote Originally Posted by SamSpade View Post
    Hmmm. Looking back over where I wrote that, I may not have expressed it well.
    What I meant to say was that in many parts of this world (and to a MUCH smaller extent - but also sometime here - in the USA) -
    it's dismissed as no big deal. Which is sad because in many parts of the world where people drink a LOT of alcohol - such as
    Eastern Europe - there's a LOT of FASD.

I think people KNOW this, here - but you'll still run across someone who will roll their eyes and say something like "well I'm not
    giving up my wine in the evenings" and go off. I've read many stories of FAS adults working in stores and walk away shaking their
    heads because they just witnessed a pregnant woman buying alcohol, and get upset because they don't want what THEY have given
    to another child. "Should I say something? Why would they do that?". Even with knowledge - there's resistance.

I am 58, and I can definitely say when I was growing up, I heard that you should cut down on alcohol, but an occasional drink is ok.
    I don't believe that either because the window for brain damage is murky, and you really just shouldn't risk it. I know the hard and fast
    rule is not at all in the 9th month, but the fact is, my son was born 6 weeks premature - and he has it. So just abstaining in the last
    month still isn't doing it, because he clearly was damaged before the ninth month.

Just from guessing I would have thought the earlier months of pregnancy were the more important ones to abstain in.

Anyway back to drugs. I was amazed when I found out how many of my coworkers have prescriptions for some type of antidepressant. I have one coworker that should be on these types of drugs, but most of the others, I don't think should be. I am one of those people that thinks people shouldn't be on some sort of psychotic drug unless they are Norman Bates crazy. The last 10 years or so I have watched many of my favorite musicians die in their 40's and 50's, a few were heroin, but most of them were on some sort of antidepressant.
    If what I say offends you then you really don't want to hear what I keep to myself.

Quote Originally Posted by mAlice View Post
    I hate to nitpick, but buying is not the same as consuming. My husband used to buy Tampons for me. Should the cashier ask him if he's going to use them? When I was a kid, I bought cigarettes for my mom. Not once did a clerk ask if I was going to smoke them. I buy beer/wine/liquor all the time. Doesn't mean I'm going to consume it. People need to stop projecting their paranoia into every day life.
    In the specific story I know of with a bagger, there was a conversation with the person making a purchase (but not a confrontation);
    similar with a busboy watching a pregnant woman have alcohol with her meal at a restaurant.

I thought it rather poignant that an adult with FASD was actually keenly aware of what was going on,
    and rather surprising. My 13 year old absolutely would not have put it together.
    It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds." Teddy Roosevelt

Health warnings have been on cigarettes since 1965...Tv and Radio came to an end in 1970, it was well know back then they were bad not only for the smoker, but those around one and those that were pregnant.. Some here are kidding themselves..
    No one cares.

Members who have read this thread: 66