Troops are securing our 2,000 mile border with 22 miles of razor wire

Chris0nllyn

He said the troops would deploy with 22 miles of concertina wire and would have 150 more miles of the razor-sharp material available.

“Sir, I have a question. The wire obstacles that we've implanted along the border... Are we going to be taking those out when we leave?"
"We'll see what the secretary says, okay?" he answered, pointing to Nielsen standing next to him. “Right now, the mission is put them in. ... We’ll let you know.”

“What are the short and the long-term plans of this operation, sir?” asked another young soldier.

"Short term right now, you get the obstacles in so the border patrolmen can do what they gotta do,” Mattis responded.

“Longer term, it's somewhat to be determined,” he said, adding that “if we were in war right now, you'd be asking the same question” and that the mission was a “dynamic, unpredictable kind of thing.”
https://www.buzzfeednews.com/articl...ill-have-more-troops-along-the-mexican-border

U.S. Customs and Border Protection released video on Wednesday showing what appears to be a human smuggler cutting through concertina barbed wire that agents had placed atop the border fence near Yuma just hours before.
"We put up concertina wire in order to help sturdy the infrastructure that's in the area," Agent Justin Kallinger told The Arizona Republic. "We wanted to show as quick as we put that stuff up, there was a smuggler to cut it down."
https://www.azcentral.com/story/new...smuggler-cutting-down-wire-border/2006620002/

Chris0nllyn

:shrug: Sounds like it is with 172 miles of razor sharp material, not 22 miles worth....

They deployed with 22 miles worth. That's what I used.

If you had a 1/4 tank of gas in the car but the gas station had gas available, you'd still only have a 1/4 tank of gas in the car. If and when you filled up you'd have a full tank.

Of course, that doesn't change that this is nothing more than a wasteful, taxpayer-funded, political stunt, imo.

Sapidus

:shrug: Sounds like it is with 172 miles of razor sharp material, not 22 miles worth....

By that definition you could just say the material for the entire wall is available and call it a day and Trump could proclaim victory and his supporters would probably think it had been done

This_person

They deployed with 22 miles worth. That's what I used.

If you had a 1/4 tank of gas in the car but the gas station had gas available, you'd still only have a 1/4 tank of gas in the car. If and when you filled up you'd have a full tank.

Well, not really. I'd still have to buy the gas, and hope it was available.

What they have are ready stores of equipment. If you have four cars, but only drive one at a time, that means you have four cars available, not one.

Of course, that doesn't change that this is nothing more than a wasteful, taxpayer-funded, political stunt, imo.

It may not be the best way to do it, but it helps to secure the border even a tiny bit more, and puts a standing army (not really authorized by the constitution) to use doing something to help (even in a small way) the country's border protection status.

Yes, it's wasteful in that there are more efficient ways to do it. Of course taxpayers fund it, like everything that we do. I'd give a :shrug: to "political stunt", as I think that's 99.9999999% of everything done by government's elected officials. In this case, while wasteful, it's less waste than having a standing army march in circles in a drill hall, so I say go for it.

This_person

By that definition you could just say the material for the entire wall is available and call it a day and Trump could proclaim victory and his supporters would probably think it had been done

All the material for the entire wall IS available by the way you're saying it, so I'd give you the same :shrug:

Back on planet earth, they didn't say "an almost infinite number of miles still available", they said "150 miles more available". That means it's already been bought and is in storage waiting for use.

To dumb down Chris' analogy to one you can understand, it's more like having a 1/4 tank of gas in one tank, but having a dual-tank pickup truck where the other tank is full, but not employed. To employ it, you flip a switch, and now you have a full tank again!

Hijinx

Chris is one of those who think we can absorb and protect and feed this 10,000 people with little or no problem.
He cries about the cost, but ignores the cost of education, health services and welfare for these 10,000.

Can we handle this 10,000?? More than likely we can, but how about 100,000 or a million, because that is what we will get exponentially if we do nothing.

Pretty soon that will get into Chris's pocket. Then we will see who cries about a fence.

Now we get into where will these people settle.? Many will settle in California and the border states, because many of their people are already there , they speak the language, and the culture is changing to their own. Won't be long before we need a passport to get into California and Arizona.

Sapidus

Chris is one of those who think we can absorb and protect and feed this 10,000 people with little or no problem.
He cries about the cost, but ignores the cost of education, health services and welfare for these 10,000.

Can we handle this 10,000?? More than likely we can, but how about 100,000 or a million, because that is what we will get exponentially if we do nothing.

Pretty soon that will get into Chris's pocket. Then we will see who cries about a fence.

Now we get into where will these people settle.? Many will settle in California and the border states, because many of their people are already there , they speak the language, and the culture is changing to their own. Won't be long before we need a passport to get into California and Arizona.

Which 10,000 people?

Sapidus

That reminds me. I need to check on how my stocks in razor wire manufacturers is doing.

No wonder you aren't rich

"massive selling took all three major U.S. stock markets underwater for the year.

The big picture: In trading this morning, the Dow, the S&P and Nasdaq all wiped out their gains for the year. Retail stocks were hit hard just three days before Black Friday, the biggest brick-and-mortar shopping event of the year"

https://www.axios.com/retail-stocks...ngs-c0fc5198-a1ab-422c-ac9b-c8ced7a6f206.html