Calling the mid-terms for what they were...

transporter

...a scathing rebuke of Trump.

Trump’s Base Isn’t Enough
There shouldn’t be much question about whether 2018 was a wave election. Of course it was a wave. You could endlessly debate the wave’s magnitude... Personally, I’d rank the 2018 wave a tick behind both 1994, which represented a historic shift after years of Democratic dominance of the House, and 2010, which reflected an especially ferocious shift against then-President Barack Obama after he’d been elected in a landslide two years earlier. But I’d put 2018 a bit ahead of most other modern wave elections, such as 2006 and 1982. Your mileage may vary.

In another important respect, however, the 2018 wave was indisputably unlike any other in recent midterm history: It came with exceptionally high turnout. Turnout is currently estimated at 116 million voters, or 49.4 percent of the voting-eligible population. That’s an astounding number; only 83 million people voted in 2014, by contrast.

In case you aren't paying attention, and given how bad the news is turning out to be, all the ignorati crowd isn't paying attention....R's lost 40 seats in the house...so far.

This high turnout makes for some rather unusual accomplishments. For instance, Democratic candidates for the House will receive almost as many votes this year as the 63 million that President Trump received in 2016, when he won the Electoral College (but lost the popular vote).

There isn’t really any precedent for the opposition party at the midterm coming so close to the president’s vote total.

This year’s results do serve as a warning to Trump in one important sense, however: His base alone will not be enough to win a second term.

Gee, now where have I heard that before????

Problem No. 1 is that Republicans lost among swing voters: Independent voters went for Democrats by a 12-point margin, and voters who voted for a third-party candidate in 2016 went to Democrats by 13 points.

Seems I've read that somewhere too.

Trump and Republicans also have Problem No. 2, however: Their base is smaller than the Democratic one...

Nonetheless, it does mean that Republicans can’t win the presidency by turning out their base alone, a strategy that sometimes is available to Democrats.

The article goes on to say that nothing is assured yet....which is obvious. They do make another clearly obvious statement, for Trump to win another term he has no choice but to change how he governs and how he interacts with everyone. Trump has shown no capacity to do that since he rode down that escalator. Which is why he got his ass handed to him a couple weeks ago and why his poll numbers today are still well below 50%.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Donald Trump is still the President.

2020 is still a bit in the future. I'm hoping the media again predicts a democrat landslide. Their cumulative meltdown was epic.

officeguy

Trump knocked off three incumbent democratic senators including one who was well entrenched in FL. That's huuge.

On the house side, they didn't flip a single seat that wasn't expected to flip. Some of the ones the dems gained were seats the republicans won rather unexpectedly in 2010.

Blue piddle.

Hijinx

In case you aren't paying attention, and given how bad the news is turning out to be, all the ignorati crowd isn't paying attention....R's lost 40 seats in the house...so far.

The article goes on to say that nothing is assured yet....which is obvious. They do make another clearly obvious statement, for Trump to win another term he has no choice but to change how he governs and how he interacts with everyone. Trump has shown no capacity to do that since he rode down that escalator. Which is why he got his ass handed to him a couple weeks ago and why his poll numbers today are still well below 50%.

LMAO I love the way you say "so far"

Tacit admission that democrats cheated to get those 40 seats and are still cheating and trying to get an increase.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
So all of a sudden - just this year - it's unusual for the party in power to lose seats? When that's pretty much what happens every single midterm? And the House had had a Democrat majority forever until Bill Clinton? AND the Senate stayed Republican?

Somehow all that means everyone hates Trump?

Derangement.

Hijinx

So all of a sudden - just this year - it's unusual for the party in power to lose seats? When that's pretty much what happens every single midterm? And the House had had a Democrat majority forever until Bill Clinton? AND the Senate stayed Republican?

Somehow all that means everyone hates Trump?

Derangement.

IMO the Republicans who lost would have won if they had backed Trump and those who lost deserved to.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

:bs:

Trump actually did way better than Obama in his first midterm

In midterm elections, a president's party loses a handful of seats. For former President Barack Obama, midterm elections in 2010 and 2014 were catastrophic compared to Trump's moderate losses.

In 2010, Obama lost 63 House seats. Even if every House race undecided at time of publication gets called for the Democrats, Trump will have lost about half as many seats as Obama did during his first midterm.

The article goes on to say that nothing is assured yet .... which is obvious. They do make another clearly obvious statement, for Trump to win another term he has no choice but to change how he governs and how he interacts with everyone. Trump has shown no capacity to do that since he rode down that escalator.

Nope ... nothing is Assured ... How the democrats in the house behave in the next 18 months will be a bellwether as to Trump's Re-Election Chances

Which is why he got his ass handed to him a couple weeks ago

See Above ...

and why his poll numbers today are still well below 50%.

YOUR Fantasy, Supposition, Innuendo and Unfounded OPINION

Hijinx

Damnit! I accidentally clicked on a post started by Tranny.

Like myself when I do that --It is only to see what others have to say.
I pay almost no attention to her post because 95 percent of it is attacking everyone who does not agree with her/him.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member

Or not..not even close to that...

By now, some readers are no doubt thinking, “This guy is just digging through the feces to find a pony beneath the GOP’s loss of the House.” And it’s obviously true that the Democrats will now have a powerful tool with which they will harass President Trump. But history suggests that they will make such asses of themselves that, by 2020, the voters will have had enough. It’s worth remembering that, when the Dems lost control of the House in 1994, they had been in power 40 years. Their next stint, beginning in 2006, lasted only 4 years. And those Democrat losers were paragons of statesmanship compared to the current crop of demagogues.

https://spectator.org/defining-the-blue-wave-down/

CPUSA

I'm sorry, did you say something of importance?
I didn't think so....and neither did anybody else here...

BOP

I identify as a ladyboy from Thailand. Come fly me.

Butthurt little bitch.jpg