Revelation 13 666 A Riddle

seekeroftruth

Revelation 13:16 It also forced all people, great and small, rich and poor, free and slave, to receive a mark on their right hands or on their foreheads, 17 so that they could not buy or sell unless they had the mark, which is the name of the beast or the number of its name.

18 This calls for wisdom. Let the person who has insight calculate the number of the beast, for it is the number of a man.[e] That number is 666.​

e. Revelation 13:18 Or is humanity’s number

Oh this is just about as infamous as the seven headed dragon.

This is the commentary from amazingdiscoveries.org for these verses.

The beast causes his followers to receive a “mark in their right hand, or in their foreheads: And that no man might buy or sell” without the “mark,” or the “name,” or the “number of the name of the first beast.

The mark of the beast will be the observance of a religious law, enforced by the United States and other governments around the world, endorsing the authority of the Papacy. Those who receive the mark in their foreheads believe that this “Sunday law” is necessary to regain God’s favor, while those marked in the hand obey only out of fear of death. This mark is Satan’s counterfeit of the seal God places in the forehead of His followers. Revelation 7:3. God’s seal is His name, character and law written in His people’s hearts and minds and is seen in His seventh-day Sabbath commandment, which identifies Him as our Creator. In Revelation 14:12 those who resist the mark of the beast are those who “keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus.”

What is the significance of the number 666? We know that the beast, whose number this is, symbolizes the Roman Papacy, and that it’s “the number of a man.” One of the pope’s titles is said to be Vicarius Filii Dei, “Vicar of the Son of God.” In Latin, the language of Catholicism, some of the letters double as numbers, and the numerical value of Vicarius Filii Dei adds up to 666, and a great many Bible scholars believe that this is how 666 is to be interpreted.​

I don't know....

This is from the easy English site.

The false prophet made an order that all people must accept a mark. Each person must have the mark either on the right hand or on the front of the head. It did not matter who they were. Every person must have the mark.

The mark was the name of Antichrist or the number of that name. Sometimes people used numbers instead of letters for a name. This method was called ‘gematria’. We do not know how they calculated a name. A number was equal to the name of Antichrist. That number was the mark.

Any people who did not have that mark could not trade. They could not buy from the shops. They could not sell anything. Normal life would not be possible for them.

The only people who refused to have the mark were those who trusted God. They would rather die than have the mark of Antichrist. They remained loyal to Christ even if they had to die for it.

The mark showed that the person trusted Antichrist rather than Christ.

The number of the name of the person is 666. This seems to be a puzzle. The number has a meaning. And that meaning is the name of the beast. That beast means the man called Antichrist. An intelligent person should calculate what his real name is. He should work out the name from the number.

Perhaps one day an intelligent person will be able to find the answer. We do not yet know who the Antichrist will be.

In the first letter of John, we read this. ‘You have heard that the Antichrist is coming. Even now many antichrists have come’ (1 John 2:18). Before the Antichrist comes, there will be many antichrists. Some had already come at the time when John was writing. There have been many antichrists since then. Some are working in the world today. They are people who oppose Christ. They try to destroy all that Christ has done. They are the enemies of the church and of Christians. The antichrists have the same evil purpose as we will see in the Antichrist. They hate the Lord Jesus Christ. They hate all those who belong to him.​

My way or the highway to ..... Actually that doesn't work in this case. Since the people who follow the instruction "My way" would actually be choosing to go down that highway to .... and those who didn't... well they'll be seeing a stairway to Heaven.

So... the name of the antichrist equals 666

Now my name "Seekeroftruth" would be 19+5+5+11+5+18+15+6+20+18+21+20+8=171 I think....

So the name of the antichrist, whatever name is, will be a mark. People will be proud to be accepted among the losers who chose to get the mark.... and there will also be people who will take the mark because they have no choice... other than death... and then there are those who have figured it out... and they outright refuse. In the Left Behind series.... I think I recall them being led to a guillotine. My guess is... not allowing the mark will earn you a bullet in the end time. I figure there will be plenty of bullets to go around. The sound of a guillotine is probably very persuasive too.

This is form GodVine.

The plain meaning is, that the number 666 would be so connected with his name, or with what would properly designate him, that it could be determined who was meant by finding that number in his name or in his proper designation. This is the exercise of the skill or wisdom to which the writer here refers: substantially that which is required in the solution of a riddle or a conundrum. If it should be said here that this is undignified and unworthy of an inspired book, it may be replied:

(a) that there might be some important reason why the name or designation should not be more plainly made;

(b) that it was important, nevertheless, that it should be so made that it would be possible to ascertain who was referred to;

(c) that this should be done only in some way which would involve the principle of the enigma - "where a known thing was concealed under obscure language" (Webster's Dictionary);

(d) that the use of symbols, emblems, hieroglyphics, and riddles was common in the early periods of the world; and,

(e) that it was no uncommon thing in ancient times, as it is in modern, to test the capacity and skill of people by their ability to unfold the meaning of proverbs, riddles, and dark sayings. Compare the riddle of Samson, Judges 14:12See also Psalm 49:4; Psalm 78:2; Ezekiel 17:2-8; Proverbs 1:2-6; Daniel 8:23.​

So my guess is.... Oh who am I kidding... I don't have a guess.

I do have this note on the subject of 666. I noticed first of all that 6 is repeated three times. Something that is repeated three times is supposed to be true. So 666 is his true name... but it's just a 6.

Now God's number is 7. I noticed that on the numbers to alphabet chart, the Seventh letter in the alphabet is G. Isn't that nifty... 7=G.

6 is not quite 7. The sixth letter in the alphabet is f. F... dig it.... IMHO 666 is not as good as 7.

Now the question is.... which alphabet to number is the key to who this beast is?

:coffee: