Revelation 14 144,000 Virgins

seekeroftruth

Revelation 14:1 Then I looked, and there before me was the Lamb, standing on Mount Zion, and with him 144,000 who had his name and his Father’s name written on their foreheads. 2 And I heard a sound from heaven like the roar of rushing waters and like a loud peal of thunder. The sound I heard was like that of harpists playing their harps. 3 And they sang a new song before the throne and before the four living creatures and the elders. No one could learn the song except the 144,000 who had been redeemed from the earth. 4 These are those who did not defile themselves with women, for they remained virgins. They follow the Lamb wherever he goes. They were purchased from among mankind and offered as firstfruits to God and the Lamb. 5 No lie was found in their mouths; they are blameless.​

I can remember a conversation I had with a friend my senior year of high school. I graduated in '68 so it was during the Vietnam War, free love era. My friend and I were both dating guys who had already done a stint in country. My friend and I were discussing a horrible "problem". We were discussing my "archaic" thoughts about virginity. [Yep I guess I was a prude back then too!] The point is... these are 144,000 men who have the guts to remain a virgin. It takes a lot of integrity... honesty... and self acceptance to remain a virgin. These men have it all. They are chosen men of great character.

This is the commentary from amazingdiscoveries.org.

The 114,000: In contrast to the distressing scenes of the last chapter, the triumph of those who gain the victory over the beast and its image is now brought to view.

In chapter 7 this same group of 144,000 received the seal of God in their foreheads. Revelation 7:3, 4. They have the Father’s name written in their minds and hearts showing that they are His people who reflect His character of love.

They sing a “new song” that no one else can learn. This group gains the victory over the beasts and his mark. As the “redeemed from the earth,” they are alive to witness the second coming of Jesus, and will never experience death. They have a unique experience that no one else has ever had. They are said to be “virgins,” “not defiled with women.” This means that they have not accepted the doctrines of the corrupt and apostate churches.​

Yes... I think the commentator made an error. There are 144.000 men, 12,000 from each of 12 tribes, not 114,000. That error set aside, if you substitute "social media" for "the corrupt and apostate churches" it would work just as well. [Just saying]

This is from the easy English site.

Then John saw the Lamb standing on the hill called Zion. The 144 000 Jews were with the Lamb. These all believed in Jesus their Messiah. They were from all the 12 tribes of the Jews.

These Jews had the mark of God on them (Revelation 7:4). That mark was the name of the Lamb and of the Father. Since they had received the mark, the Lord had protected them. Not one of them had been lost.

The hill called Zion was the hill where the city called Jerusalem stood. But here the hill called Zion is not the one on the earth. It is the place of the city of God in heaven.

John heard a wonderful sound, which came out of heaven. It was loud, like the sound of a great river or of thunder. But it was sweet music, like the sound of harps. He heard a new song. The singers were there in front of the throne. They were in front of the four creatures and the elders.

John does not say who the singers were. But it seems that they were the 144 000. God had rescued them from the earth. They sing a new song that only they can learn.

The Lord had selected these men for a task (Revelation 7:3). They would serve God on earth during the final years before Christ returns. In order to concentrate on that service they did not have sex.

They did what the Lamb said. They obeyed him and they were loyal to him. They were his agents on the earth. They believed in Christ and they belonged to God and the Lamb.

They gave themselves to God. From their work, many more came to know the Lord. The 144 000 were like the first ones of that number.

During all the troubles of those times, they always spoke the truth. They lived good lives. Nobody could blame them for anything that was wrong.​

While I was going through the easy English verses..... these 144,000 weren't "drawing up a battle plan".... Jesus has the battle plan. The first trip to earth was a peaceful mission. Jesus taught us how to live together in peace... even if we didn't want to listen.... it has to be said... that was the first mission... a peaceful settlement to this Satan v God thing. Now, there won't be a peaceful settlement. Now this is a Jesus v Satan mission and Jesus is taking 144,000 good men into battle. These men will soon be singing a battle song.... one that is guaranteed to be the beginning choruses of the victory song. No one has sung that one in the battle of Satan v God or Jesus v Satan.

Back during that conversation with my friend.... she said "no one stays a virgin anymore". Well, my friend, the Bible says there will be 144,000 handpicked virgins in the boardroom at Jesus' place in heaven and they will get their marching orders from King Jesus. Now that's a new song.... wouldn't you say?

:coffee: