DC Gun Control

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
For or against?
Channel 7's take
and the Washington Times
After watching Williams and Norton express their outrage on the news last night, I had to wonder what they think of the people of DC. Are they to stupid and irresponsible to be trusted with ownership of a firearm? The current law doesn't seem to be effective at keeping weapons away from the felons and children, only from the law abiding citizens.

Cletus_Vandam

Doesn't it work????

Lets look at the equation:

City with most restictive gun control in the US = the city with the highest murder and crime rate.

Gun control works doesn't it????? :killingme

Here's a secret that Virgina and Florida figured out a long time ago: Allow all the law abidding people to concealed carry and you'll see the crime rates drop outta sight.... :gossip:

dustin

UAIOE
Until we can get a uniform concealed carry/gun control laws prescribed across the entire US (no difference between states) Its just pizzin in the wind...

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
I don't know much about guns, but I'm skeptical about gun control for two reasons. One, I've read that "career criminals" get their guns by stealing them from people's homes. Two, I've also read that most deaths from handguns aren't caused by "career criminals" but by family arguments, suicides, accidents, nutcases and so forth. I don't see how gun laws would fix either of those problems.

Sure, we could have mandatory education for all gun purchasers. But some people simply don't have the common sense to know that you should keep your weapons locked away so your 2-year-old can't get to them, and no law can fix stupidity.

sunflower

Loving My Life...
Gun control or not D.C. will continue to have problems with the murders!! JMO

Last edited:

SamSpade

Tonio said:
I don't know much about guns, but I'm skeptical about gun control for two reasons. One, I've read that "career criminals" get their guns by stealing them from people's homes. Two, I've also read that most deaths from handguns aren't caused by "career criminals" but by family arguments, suicides, accidents, nutcases and so forth. I don't see how gun laws would fix either of those problems.

I think if you go to the CDC, they have an interactive page that allows you to select firearm deaths by various demographics. One unsurprising result I found was that a third of all firearm homicide deaths were suicides. Also not surprising is that an enormous number of the homicide deaths are males between the ages of 15 and 30 living in cities. In a word - gangs. Remove the entire drug culture from the picture, and we have a low homicide rate nationwide. Even better, in cities such as Boston, they've created programs to assist youth and cut off their gun supplies, and deaths are down dramatically.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
SamSpade said:
Also not surprising is that an enormous number of the homicide deaths are males between the ages of 15 and 30 living in cities. In a word - gangs.
I'll have to check out that site. Does it distinguish between ordinary handguns and the heavier firepower? I had assumed that most gangs use machine guns.

Larry Gude

Strung Out