FDR Boulevard Extension Set To Open

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
St. Mary's County Commissioners
News Release 2018 – 317
November 27, 2018 2:30 p.m.

FDR Boulevard Extension Set to Open

Leonardtown, MD – The Commissioners of St. Mary’s County will hold a ribbon-cutting ceremony on Tuesday, December 11 at 1 p.m. to commemorate the opening of a section of FDR Boulevard. The installation of pavement markings, removal of traffic barriers and signage at the intersection of FDR Blvd and First Colony Blvd are underway. The road opening is anticipated prior to the event and a second news release will be issued. The 0.72 miles extension covers an area from First Colony Blvd to the roundabout at Old Rolling Road.

At their November 27 business meeting, the commissioners approved a resolution and several ordinances. The ordinances establish a 35 MPH speed limit for the roadway; sets a stop sign and establishes an all way yield intersection at FDR Boulevard and Old Rolling Road. Other ordinances designate the shoulders of the road as bike lanes and lane usage at the intersection of First Colony Boulevard. The adopted resolution accepts road into the county’s Highway Maintenance System.

The southbound left travel lane on FDR Boulevard will become a “Left Turn Only” lane for motorists heading toward First Colony Boulevard (and the First Colony Shopping Center). The southbound right lane will be a through lane for vehicles heading to Old Rolling Road along the new extension of FDR Boulevard.

“This is the first step in achieving a county-constructed road in over 25 years,” said Commissioner Todd Morgan (4th District). “Its completion will help to reduce traffic congestion on MD 235 and continue to enhance economic development in the Lexington Park/California area. I look forward to the road’s total completion from St. Andrews Church Road to Pegg Road in the next few years.”

Information and questions regarding the change in traffic pattern and roadway extension opening can be addressed to the Department of Public Works and Transportation at 301-475-4200 ext. *3525.

lucky_bee

RBF expert
As much as it pains me to drive past the unused brand-new FDR from Rolling Rd to rt 4 every day, blocked off at the round-a-bout, begging to be used....without any kind of continuing thru-way that people are expecting (or don't realize isn't finished yet), this will surely send dozens of confused motorists thru our neighborhoods daily looking for the rest of FDR or wondering how to get out if they don't realize they need to go back up Rolling rd to get to 235. I hope they add some signage for the clueless. The section from Rolling Road to Amber dr looks to be another year out. So right now, I'm not sure how I feel about them opening up this section yet :shrug:

P.S. "All-way-yield" round-a-bout didn't stop my schwasted neighbor from plowing thru it the other week at 2am. Thankfully he did that BEFORE they planted all the shrubs.

Bonehead

Talk about molasses in the winter time, open the damn thing already ! And finish the rest of it you bunch of dickheads.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
They were "working on it" almost 5 years ago when I moved into Settler's Landing. Not sure why it takes so long to put a road in.

FED_UP

As much as it pains me to drive past the unused brand-new FDR from Rolling Rd to rt 4 every day, blocked off at the round-a-bout, begging to be used....without any kind of continuing thru-way that people are expecting (or don't realize isn't finished yet), this will surely send dozens of confused motorists thru our neighborhoods daily looking for the rest of FDR or wondering how to get out if they don't realize they need to go back up Rolling rd to get to 235. I hope they add some signage for the clueless. The section from Rolling Road to Amber dr looks to be another year out. So right now, I'm not sure how I feel about them opening up this section yet :shrug:

P.S. "All-way-yield" round-a-bout didn't stop my schwasted neighbor from plowing thru it the other week at 2am. Thankfully he did that BEFORE they planted all the shrubs.

It should be clear when opened, the article does say "The installation of pavement markings, removal of traffic barriers and signage at the intersection of FDR Blvd and First Colony Blvd are underway." First time I saw a map of this today, longer than I thought. It may help traffic a little, but if there is a wreck on 235, it will be jammed up like any other road. Good for people that live close to the road or want to get to a store without having to get on 235.

lucky_bee

RBF expert
It should be clear when opened, the article does say "The installation of pavement markings, removal of traffic barriers and signage at the intersection of FDR Blvd and First Colony Blvd are underway." First time I saw a map of this today, longer than I thought. It may help traffic a little, but if there is a wreck on 235, it will be jammed up like any other road. Good for people that live close to the road or want to get to a store without having to get on 235.

This does not mean there will be NEW signage for the dolts that don't realize FDR is not fully functioning. If you go straight thru that round-a-bout at Rolling rd, coming from First colony, you will find yourself at a dead end but not until you've already driven thru any of the 3 secluded neighborhoods back there, wondering where the hell you are and where the hell FDR goes. None of them have any outlets yet. There will eventually be one in the Townhouse neighborhood, and I believe the 'hood across the street from them. So I cannot wait until 235 is backed up, which will make FDR back up, and then people will start driving thru all these neighborhoods which used to be dead ends, trying to avoid both 235 and FDR. Our HOA's have no plans to assist with the extra traffic. Their last attempt at speed bumps failed miserably. It'll be great.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
^Our HOA board looked into it for our neighborhood (Pembrooke off Willows) and said the county would not let them put speed bumps in.

frequentflier

happy to be living

:lmao:

lucky_bee

RBF expert
^Our HOA board looked into it for our neighborhood (Pembrooke off Willows) and said the county would not let them put speed bumps in.

Yea we had some ####ty plastic ones for awhile. First off they weren't wide enough so everyone just drove around. Secondly they were nailed down with 2 nails and almost all were ripped out within 6 months. They told us we'd be having more permanent ones put in but it's been 2 years. Useless.

FED_UP

This does not mean there will be NEW signage for the dolts that don't realize FDR is not fully functioning. If you go straight thru that round-a-bout at Rolling rd, coming from First colony, you will find yourself at a dead end but not until you've already driven thru any of the 3 secluded neighborhoods back there, wondering where the hell you are and where the hell FDR goes. None of them have any outlets yet. There will eventually be one in the Townhouse neighborhood, and I believe the 'hood across the street from them. So I cannot wait until 235 is backed up, which will make FDR back up, and then people will start driving thru all these neighborhoods which used to be dead ends, trying to avoid both 235 and FDR. Our HOA's have no plans to assist with the extra traffic. Their last attempt at speed bumps failed miserably. It'll be great.

oK, I went down there yesterday, now I see what your talking about, I was thinking the entire road was open. We did see a nice house all lit up, lights all over roof and all near that second roundabout on the right. It reminded me some movie I saw where Danny Devito was trying to out do his neighbor with lights.

lucky_bee

RBF expert
oK, I went down there yesterday, now I see what your talking about, I was thinking the entire road was open. We did see a nice house all lit up, lights all over roof and all near that second roundabout on the right. It reminded me some movie I saw where Danny Devito was trying to out do his neighbor with lights.

see :razz:

I did call the dept of public works and transportation. They assured me there would be adequate signage posted.

I'm happy to report that they have: There's a large electronic road sign off the exit of the round-a-bout for FDR stating "LOCAL TRAFFIC ONLY" and something else, I can't remember. It's not what I would have requested, nor as to the point and in language that I'd prefer :lol: but it'll do. Our road in is so ugly and disheveled right now, what's a ginormous blinking road sign gonna do :shrug: I still encountered a couple nosy nellies perusing the neighborhood, but hopefully people will get the drift "Local Traffic Only" translates to FDR is STILL not finished, this is not a thruway YET, perhaps check back in 3 years.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
see :razz:

I did call the dept of public works and transportation. They assured me there would be adequate signage posted.

I'm happy to report that they have: There's a large electronic road sign off the exit of the round-a-bout for FDR stating "LOCAL TRAFFIC ONLY" and something else, I can't remember. It's not what I would have requested, nor as to the point and in language that I'd prefer :lol: but it'll do. Our road in is so ugly and disheveled right now, what's a ginormous blinking road sign gonna do :shrug: I still encountered a couple nosy nellies perusing the neighborhood, but hopefully people will get the drift "Local Traffic Only" translates to FDR is STILL not finished, this is not a thruway YET, perhaps check back in 3 years.

I'm sure there will be plenty of lookie-loo's. See how the long the lines are at brand new fast food restaurants! :lol:

Goldenhawk

"Local traffic only" signage or not, people (like me) are going to drive down it at least once to see where it really goes and what value it holds for them.

Until Google Maps shows the road correctly, it's going to take some added brain cells to incorporate into our commuting pattern. Gotta give some allowance for that.