Thread: Greetings from Corpus Christi!

Blog Entries

Greetings from Corpus Christi!

Nevermind the nervous breakdown I had on the way. Had to pull over in Seguin and cry for a few minutes. But it's all good now. It's been a stressful week and I just needed to melt down temporarily.

But here we are! Palm trees and Gulf waters!

Our campground is about a half mile from the causeway, which took us to Doc's for dinner. This is our kind of place. We sat outside and ate Cobb salads with blackened shrimp and Board Mommy snarfed a couple of much needed Shiners. After, we went next door to Snoopy's and got a couple more drinks on the pier. Both places got us started on the right foot and are contenders for the CC happy place.

The campground is tight - not in the good way but in the "where are we going to put our stuff??" way. Small spaces. But it will work. We always think we need to spread out more than we really do. Tomorrow we'll explore a bit, both the campground and the immediate area.

For my birthday I made Monello get us tickets to see Three Dog Night tomorrow. Not gonna lie, when it looked like we weren't going to get there I was disappointed, but whaddaya gonna do? Things happen. Then the gods smiled on me and it all worked out (because I keep my karma clean by being considerate and picking up Apollo's poop). I saw TDN in Lincoln when I was 17 and it was the best concert I've ever been to, no lie. I can't wait!

I think we're going to like it here.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	corpuschristi.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	40.0 KB 
ID:	126014

Name:	corpuschristi2.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	33.9 KB 
ID:	126015
    Last edited by vraiblonde; 11-30-2018 at 12:45 AM.
    "Too much agreement kills a chat."
    ~Eldridge Cleaver

Quote Originally Posted by vraiblonde View Post
    Nevermind the nervous breakdown I had on the way. Had to pull over in Seguin and cry for a few minutes.

Glad it's all good now. Pics look great!

Registered User luvmygdaughters's Avatar
    Take a deep breath, calm down and apply a few glasses of wine!! Glad you're less stressed, would love to see TDN, always one of my favorite bands, Corpus Christi looks amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by vraiblonde View Post
    Nevermind the nervous breakdown I had on the way. Had to pull over in Seguin and cry for a few minutes. But it's all good now. It's been a stressful week and I just needed to melt down temporarily.

But here we are! Palm trees and Gulf waters!

Our campground is about a half mile from the causeway, which took us to Doc's for dinner. This is our kind of place. We sat outside and ate Cobb salads with blackened shrimp and Board Mommy snarfed a couple of much needed Shiners. After, we went next door to Snoopy's and got a couple more drinks on the pier. Both places got us started on the right foot and are contenders for the CC happy place.

The campground is tight - not in the good way but in the "where are we going to put our stuff??" way. Small spaces. But it will work. We always think we need to spread out more than we really do. Tomorrow we'll explore a bit, both the campground and the immediate area.

For my birthday I made Monello get us tickets to see Three Dog Night tomorrow. Not gonna lie, when it looked like we weren't going to get there I was disappointed, but whaddaya gonna do? Things happen. Then the gods smiled on me and it all worked out (because I keep my karma clean by being considerate and picking up Apollo's poop). I saw TDN in Lincoln when I was 17 and it was the best concert I've ever been to, no lie. I can't wait!

I think we're going to like it here.

Name:	corpuschristi.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	40.0 KB 
ID:	126014

Name:	corpuschristi2.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	33.9 KB 
ID:	126015

So glad to hear you made it safe & sound. Some relaxing and chilling is definitely in order!
    Quote Originally Posted by kwillia View Post
    That makes him a hoot and 3/4!

Blog Entries
    Three Dog Night - these guys are older than God and still bringing it. They don't play instruments anymore because, you know, arthritis, but they can still belt out their songs. What's weird about these fossil rock bands is that Danny Hutton introduced "One" by saying it was the song that got things started for them...in 1969. I was a 1st grader. But TDN is timeless, like Queen and the Beatles. My grandson sings along to "Jeremiah was a bullfrog...." You never remember how many great songs they had until they start playing them, and then you go, "Oh yeah!"

The venue was great - American Bank Center. Easy to get to, plenty of parking, they manage their crowds nicely. Monello and I are over jostling with throngs of humanity in these enormous arenas - Jesus himself could be appearing somewhere like that and we'd stay home and watch Modern Family. It was an older crowd, as you might imagine, so concert sh*t headery was nonexistent. They let us bring our drinks into the auditorium because they can trust us not to start throwing them.

After, we went to the Alibi Bar, which is a no kidding dive. I'm trying to think of what to compare it to in SoMD and not coming up with anything divey enough. Up in Cascade, MD there used to be, maybe still is, a bar called Chocolate Park that was right outside Ft. Richie - that's what it reminded me of. But we like places like that. The uninitiated might think they were drug bars, but they are completely opposite. When the bar maid can beat your ass, you will not be dealing drugs in her bar. They are filled with professional alcoholics, not amateurs, so things stay mellow.

Before the show we had dinner at a Filipino place that is right up the street from our campground. We had lumpia and rice pancit, and Monello had one of those filled bun things. It's unfortunate that this place is literally within walking distance to us because I know I'm going to want lumpia every day. That's what's to love about a Navy town: where there is a Navy base, there are Filipina wives; and where there are Filipina wives, there will be a Filipino restaurant. People in Lincoln, NE don't know what lumpia or sinigang is.

Tomorrow after I get my work done we'll head out to see what's what.
    ~Eldridge Cleaver

Blog Entries
    Today we went on base and played golf. The course is all chopped up and pretty rough, but we had fun anyway. We stink at golf - although Monello shot a birdie today - but we enjoy it. This course was nowhere near as nice as Pax; it wasn't even as nice as Chesapeake Hills.

Saturday we went on walkabout to Port Aransas. It's a cute fishing/vacation village with a nice beach and lots of shops/restaurants/marinas. It's pretty much off the beaten path, about 20 miles from Corpus Christi. People drive out *on* the beach, park, and spend the day - even when it's too cold to swim. There were probably 25 or so cars out there yesterday.

We're not in love with our campground. The site is small with a cement pad, but the rest of it is gravel instead of grass and it's unappealing (this is a "premium" site, btw, so the regular sites must really suck). We also have a telephone pole on our site and it looks pretty trashy. But it's not *horrible* so we'll be okay for a month. If we came back to CC, though, we wouldn't stay here. The people seem nice and there's a potluck Wednesday that we'll go to. The pool is open but NOT heated! WTH??? That's where Florida RV resorts have TX beat - they heat the pools because the snowbirds expect to swim all winter long.

Monello made chicken Tikka Masala in the Instant Pot for dinner. The trailer will reek for days, but it was delish!
    ~Eldridge Cleaver

On the road, again. That is awesome.

Blog Entries
    So Corpus Christi - no. If you want to be in that general area you'd go to Port Aransas. Much nicer, more touristy things (but not Ripley's style tourism) and more amenable to vacationers and relaxing. Next time we'll know, if there is a next time.

Today after work we set out to find good coffee beans, which turned out to be at Hester's in the ghet-o. German chocolate and cinnamon chocolate almond. Then we headed toward Portland to see the RV park I thought I should have chosen, which was a big enough #### hole that our #### hole was nicer. Then on to take the ferry over to Port Aransas - this is one of those small pleasures that I enjoy so much.

While in Port A we went through an RV park - very nice - and struck up a conversation with another traveling couple at a bar who raved about their RV park in Port A. It happens that they are leaving Monday for South Padre Island, so we'll see them when we get there. They gave us some great tips for when we head west.

There is a surprising amount of ghetto in CC. Like, falling down homes with crap all over the place, or obvious drug tenements. I thought CC would be more middle class, but they have a large crap population dotted around the city. But this is one of the things I love most about being a homeless vagabond: if you're not thrilled with where you are, somewhere else is only a couple weeks away.
    ~Eldridge Cleaver

Members who have read this thread: 36