1 Chronicles 1 Ham & Slaves

seekeroftruth

1 Chronicles 1:8 The sons of Ham:

Cush, Egypt, Put and Canaan.

9 The sons of Cush:

Seba, Havilah, Sabta, Raamah and Sabteka.

The sons of Raamah:

Sheba and Dedan.

10 Cush was the father[d] of

Nimrod, who became a mighty warrior on earth.

11 Egypt was the father of

the Ludites, Anamites, Lehabites, Naphtuhites, 12 Pathrusites, Kasluhites (from whom the Philistines came) and Caphtorites.

13 Canaan was the father of

Sidon his firstborn,[e] and of the Hittites, 14 Jebusites, Amorites, Girga####es, 15 Hivites, Arkites, Sinites, 16 Arvadites, Zemarites and Hamathites.​

d. 1 Chronicles 1:10 Father may mean ancestor or predecessor or founder; also in verses 11, 13, 18 and 20.
e. 1 Chronicles 1:13 Or of the Sidonians, the foremost

This commentary is from the blueletterbible.org site.

Ham: The descendants of Ham are the peoples who populated Africa and the Far East.

Cush: Apparently, this family divided into two branches early. Some founded Babylon (notably, Nimrod) and others founded Ethiopia.

Clarke cites an early Jewish Targum regarding Nimrod, who began to be a mighty one on the earth: "He began to be bold in sin, a murderer of the innocent, and a rebel before the Lord."​

Mizraim: This is another way the Bible refers to Egypt. Put refers to Libya, the region of North Africa west of Egypt. Canaan refers to the peoples who originally settled the land we today think of as Israel and its surrounding regions.

From whom came the Philistines: "The Hamitic Philistines were 'sea peoples' before settling in Palestine, coming from the Casluhim, who were of Egyptian origin but are related to the Minoan culture of Caphtor (Crete) and the southern coast of Asia Minor." (Payne)​

So Babylon was founded by Nimrod's people. Nimrod's people were from the family of Ham. And look there's Libya and Egypt.

This is Ham according to gotquestions.org.

Ham himself became the father of the Canaanites, the Babylonians, the Phoenicians, the Cu####es, and the Egyptians (Genesis 10:6–20).​

Ham was involved in cursed by his father after a sordid family incident. As Noah’s family worked to reestablish civilization after the flood, Noah became “a man of the soil” and grew a vineyard (Genesis 9:20). One day, he became drunk after imbibing some of the wine he had produced. Ham entered Noah’s tent and found his father there, passed out and naked. Ham told his brothers of their father’s condition, and Shem and Japheth walked backward into the tent, their faces turned respectfully away, and covered their father with a garment. When Noah awoke, he realized “what his youngest son had done to him”. Noah blessed Shem and Japheth for their action, but he omitted Ham from the blessing. In addition, Noah cursed Ham and Ham’s son, Canaan, who it seems had also been involved in the matter somehow.

The exact reason for Noah’s curse on Ham and Canaan is unknown, because the Bible does not give any detail as to Ham’s specific actions in the tent. The curse may have been due to an inaction on because Ham’s part—that is, Ham did not afford Noah the same respect and courtesy Shem and Japheth had shown him. Some speculate that Ham actively violated his father somehow, and rabbinic tradition states that Ham castrated Noah. Whatever happened, Noah was greatly displeased and cursed Ham’s and his line through Canaan: “Cursed be Canaan! / The lowest of slaves / will he be to his brothers” (Genesis 9:25).

Although the curse did not extend to every person in Ham’s family throughout every generation, The Bible does not relate exactly how Ham’s son Canaan served Japheth and Shem. Much later, however, Canaan’s line did indeed experience enslavement byat the hands of Shem’s and Japheth’s descendants. In ancient times, Hamites served the Assyrians, Persians, Macedonians, and Romans (Shemites and Japhethites). And of course tThe Canaanites were destroyed or subjugated by Israel (who are Shemites) during the conquest of the Promised Land. Sadly, we have even seen this curse play out in modern times as the Africans (Hamites) were enslaved by Western Europeans (Japhethites) and Arabs (Shemites). This does not mean that Hamites were or are in any way inferior to Shemites and Japhethites; rather, the history of slavery points to the dire nature of Noah’s curse and the accuracy of Scripture and the prophecies it contains.​

I did not realize that Ham had such a significant roll. It didn't sink in the first few times that Ham was the father of Babylon. One of Ham's descendants was Canaan.... that's something to watch.

I had always been told that Ham was the link to homosexuality in the Bible. Maybe that story is in that book in Revelation that God didn't let John show us.

Look... it's logical that God would want all the males and females to procreate. God wiped out the population of earth. All he had left were Noah and his three sons. So any deviation.... masterbation, dry humping, pulling out... these were all methods of birth control and God needed procreation. The commentary here suggests that some think Ham castrated Noah. Maybe they get that from the accounts of Daniel being castrated when Babylon [Ham's kids] took Judah captive. There's a lot of conjecture here.

Hubby and I use to live in a little dive motel in Virginia Beach. One night, one of the other tenants passed out in the middle of his bed. buck naked, with a cigarette in his hand. Hubby and I were just coming home from a night of Bud and pool when we saw the smoke billowing out of the open door. Hubby [brave on Bud I guess] went in, picked the guy out of the burning bed, slung him over his shoulder and carried him out. Then he went back in and drug the burning mattress out of the room [which saved the dive motel]. He doesn't remember it. My hero doesn't remember that magnificent life saving act.

Noah and his family had been stuck together in confined quarters for a very long time. I doubt any of them knew how to read and write. If someone in the family did spill the beans about what happened that night... it doesn't appear in our modern day Bibles. So conjecture away. Remember though, you can't just rescue the victim. You have to remove the burning bed as well.

OK... I want to say that the homosexuals in the world today can confess their sins and accept Jesus as their Savior. It's true. Jesus is the only way to eternal life.... it's also true that He wants you to do it. I've gone to a lot of churches that would not knowingly allow a gay man to sit in their church. I've known a lot of churches that would shun a woman who has no use for a man. I know of churches that would absolutely split up a family over it. There are, now, public stories of how priests and preachers have violated young men right there in the church. It's been proven that this creates real problems for the victims and in many cases the victims perpetuate the cycle on other innocent children outside the church. Are all of those humans damned? Is there no hope?

When does the victim become a damned sinner doomed to hell?

Oh I got way off topic here this morning.... and I don't want to do that.... "Ham himself became the father of the Canaanites, the Babylonians, the Phoenicians, the Cu####es, and the Egyptians". AND these descendants really liked every other god except the God of Abraham. The Egyptians even went so far as to make their own little pharoahs to be gods. All of Ham's family will eventually be taken into servitude.

:coffee:

Last edited: