Thread: Military bases closed for Bush funeral on Wed?

Military bases closed for Bush funeral on Wed?

I read that most branches of federal govt will close Wed for the George Bush funeral. How does this affect military bases? Will it be treated as a federal holiday nationwide?

UPDATED: Federal government to close Wednesday for 'national day of mourning,' 11 a.m. funeral planned

Contractors will need to check with their PMs on how their contract is written, Fed employees are off

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
    UPDATED: Federal government to close Wednesday for 'national day of mourning,' 11 a.m. funeral planned

Contractors will need to check with their PMs on how their contract is written, Fed employees are off

thanks

Why should sandcrabs get a paid holiday for a funeral??? I doubt the military will stand down.

Quote Originally Posted by WingsOfGold View Post
    Why should sandcrabs get a paid holiday for a funeral??? I doubt the military will stand down.
    It's customary to do this as a sign of respect - it's a display of "public mourning" in the US because a former POTUS has died.

You don't personally have to participate, and I won't have a day off at the place that I work. However, the head of each Federal Agency reports to the POTUS. (His Cabinet) GHW Bush is a former POTUS, therefore, this "National Day of Mourning" is being proclaimed in a tribute to him.
    Quote Originally Posted by kwillia View Post
    That makes him a hoot and 3/4!

Mostly settled in... spr1975wshs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post

Thanks, my wife has appointments at the VAMC in DC on Wednesday...
    Take care - Steven
    "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn"

Members who have read this thread: 78