Can I salute?

acommondisaster

I'm going to go pay respects at the Capitol tomorrow morning (in the wee hours) to President Bush. I was a communicator for him for more than 4 years. I'm retired Navy - I'm just wondering if I can render a hand salute. Anyone know? I know that Bush 45 authorized hand salute to the flag in civvies, but I dont know if this would extend to a former President as well. Then again, technically, there's a flag on the coffin.

Any guidance would be appreciated. Snarky comments, not so much.

Yooper

Up. Identified. Lase. Fire. On the way.
I'm going to go pay respects at the Capitol tomorrow morning (in the wee hours) to President Bush. I was a communicator for him for more than 4 years. I'm retired Navy - I'm just wondering if I can render a hand salute. Anyone know? I know that Bush 45 authorized hand salute to the flag in civvies, but I dont know if this would extend to a former President as well. Then again, technically, there's a flag on the coffin.

Absolutely. If I were to go I would (I'm retired Army). You're a veteran, you've earned the right. Nothing I'm aware of precludes rendering honors. I know USMC folks aren't big on salutes given or received while in civvies, but in the Army we certainly returned a salute if we were in civvies (and I know I've saluted senior officers I respected while in civvies to no ill effect). But even if not, I'm sure GHW Bush would appreciate the gesture.

--- "Garry Owen!" (MCP)

littlelady

God bless the USA

I have thanked you before for your service. It is awesome you are taking the time, and traffic aggravation to go pay respects to our 41st President. Even if it was against the rules, you should be able to salute, anyway. :smile: :patriot:

acommondisaster

Thanks, all. It's been a tough day, reading all of the posts from old coworkers on facebook. So many stories about a much loved president by those who were around him on a daily basis. There weren't many people who dealt with him on our level who didn't like the man, so it's been hard. I've heard from about a dozen people who are going to be paying their respects - one said the line early this evening was about a 2 hour wait. I guess there's a protocol posted near the entrance, so I guess I'll find out then. NY Times had a good article http://https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/01/us/politics/george-hw-bush-last-days.html?smid=fb-nytimes&smtyp=cur&fbclid=IwAR1yyUx09yxnXFi7iKUK7w4c-La6Y4goz2gddqoo7rv-2uIvvuwA9jTh-UI

MADPEBS1

Man, I'm still here !!!
If you could, i'm interested in what a communicator job entails? You'd be right in the thick of things probably !

transporter

Just FYI...national newcasts this morning are showing video/pics of a Boy Scout who stepped out of line to salute. Hard to understand how anyone would give you grief over performing the same dedication to a fallen leader.

b23hqb

PREMO Member

Yes, you can. At any military funeral (I've been to way too many), before the playing of Taps, the director will, or should, mention that any veteran present, should render a hand salute, in respect for the deceased, if they so desire. You do not have to be in uniform.

Going through a viewing line a quick attention, hand salute, would be appropriate. Don't hold the line up, though.

Last edited:

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
acommondisaster, I'm sure by now you have paid your respects, and were confident in that salute you rendered to your former CiC. I hope you didn't have to wait long early this morning. (By the way, thank you for your service.)

When we arrived from the Metro about 9:30 this morning - our wait was not long at all. :yay:

I posted about our visit in the RIP, GHW Bush tread.

acommondisaster

Thanks all - I went about 4am in the morning - I work the night shift so I left work a couple of hours early. I was able to park less than half a mile away and there was absolutely no line. Everyone there (about 2 dozen) lingered as long as they wanted, there were a couple of families with their grade school age children; I hung around long enough to catch the honor guard change. How young they all look! The coffin looked so small for a man who has done so much and lived such an amazing life, and I do remembering him towering over me whenever I'd have contact with him, so it was kind of a shock. He knew me by my first name - if he knew you were navy, he seemed more apt to remember. Signed the condolence book and got my memorial card. And yes, I did salute, though it seems wrong, uncovered.

acommondisaster

Just FYI...national newcasts this morning are showing video/pics of a Boy Scout who stepped out of line to salute. Hard to understand how anyone would give you grief over performing the same dedication to a fallen leader.

20 years in the Navy (though most of it in civvies) - hard to salute uncovered. Wanted to make sure I wasn't breaking any kind of protocol. Bush made it permissible to salute the flag in civilian clothes if you are a vet, but from what I could find on the internet, CNO balked at that. I think CMC did too.

acommondisaster

If you could, i'm interested in what a communicator job entails? You'd be right in the thick of things probably !

I was at the WH for at least part of 3 admins - Reagan, Bush and Clinton. At that time we traveled in advance of the president anywhere he went, providing communications for him, his staff and USSS. Everything from comm lines to the plane, radio and phone support, the podium, mics and sound and the presidential seal on the podium. Was present at many happenings, saw dignitaries from all around. There's someone else here that traveled too - I forget who. It was a very gratifying job, even when it sucked. Not sure what it entails now; I do know that while we were all military at the time, they now also have govt employee slots. GS13/14/15 type stuff, I think. Takes awhile to get approved.

stgislander

PREMO Member
20 years in the Navy (though most of it in civvies) - hard to salute uncovered.

As I sat in the dentist's office this morning watching on television the people arriving at the National Cathedral in preparation for the funeral, something that struck me as odd was seeing both an Airman and a Marine ushering people up the front steps (outside) uncovered.

Grumpy

Thanks all - I went about 4am in the morning - I work the night shift so I left work a couple of hours early. I was able to park less than half a mile away and there was absolutely no line. Everyone there (about 2 dozen) lingered as long as they wanted, there were a couple of families with their grade school age children; I hung around long enough to catch the honor guard change. How young they all look! The coffin looked so small for a man who has done so much and lived such an amazing life, and I do remembering him towering over me whenever I'd have contact with him, so it was kind of a shock. He knew me by my first name - if he knew you were navy, he seemed more apt to remember. Signed the condolence book and got my memorial card. And yes, I did salute, though it seems wrong, uncovered.

:yay:

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
I was at the WH for at least part of 3 admins - Reagan, Bush and Clinton. At that time we traveled in advance of the president anywhere he went, providing communications for him, his staff and USSS. Everything from comm lines to the plane, radio and phone support, the podium, mics and sound and the presidential seal on the podium. Was present at many happenings, saw dignitaries from all around. There's someone else here that traveled too - I forget who. It was a very gratifying job, even when it sucked. Not sure what it entails now; I do know that while we were all military at the time, they now also have govt employee slots. GS13/14/15 type stuff, I think. Takes awhile to get approved.
:yay:
Thank you for your service.
I too, served under President R. Reagan, G.H.W. Bush and the Clinton
Good Man, may he Rest in Peace.

Bann

PREMO Member
accommondisaster - here is a link to the C-Span video feed of GWH Bush lying in State for the public viewing. It starts approximately at 7:30 12/3 and runs through the time of 12/5 before they leave for Washington National Cathedral.

I was actually able to find myself and Thing2 by fast-forwarding the video to the time-frame we were in the Rotunda. I could even save a clip of it. (It's about 20 seconds of video) It's kind of cool to have that documentation, since photography wasn't allowed.

https://www.c-span.org/video/?455340-1/president-george-hw-bush-lies-state-us-capitol&vod#

acommondisaster

accommondisaster - here is a link to the C-Span video feed of GWH Bush lying in State for the public viewing. It starts approximately at 7:30 12/3 and runs through the time of 12/5 before they leave for Washington National Cathedral.

I was actually able to find myself and Thing2 by fast-forwarding the video to the time-frame we were in the Rotunda. I could even save a clip of it. (It's about 20 seconds of video) It's kind of cool to have that documentation, since photography wasn't allowed.

https://www.c-span.org/video/?455340-1/president-george-hw-bush-lies-state-us-capitol&vod#

Thank you! <3 Found myself pretty quick!

Last edited:

Bann

PREMO Member
Thank you! <3 Found myself pretty quick!

:lol: I figured at 4am-ish, there wouldn't be a lot of people for you to scan through!

I actually found the elderly gentlemen wearing the Korean-Vietnam Vet ballcap and then I knew we were in that montage *someplace. :lol:

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Gods Bless and Speed his spirit to that Last Good Place to be rejoined with his beloved Barbara and Robin.
I served in the USAF Reserve under Presidents Reagan and Bush the Elder. From my distance, HW gained my respect both as VP and CIC.

His was a life well lived.