Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I just cut the cord

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    I'll offer you one piece of advice.

If you go with Roku, it might be better to opt for the high end box for two reasons.

The processing power is better and it has an Ethernet port on it.

I have used Roku for four years now, with several different services and they all have one thing in common. Buffering is minimized or eliminated when you go to the RJ45 connection vs WiFi.
    I have not noticed a difference, as long as you have the black stick, the old purple one was really under powered though.

I didn't even notice an issue with the stick when I had DSL for internet.
    If what I say offends you then you really don't want to hear what I keep to myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0nllyn View Post
    I just got rid of cable in favor of online streaming services. I'll try and document my experiences and any questions here and likely re-visit some things that have been discussed previously in other threads..........
    Thanks for posting. Very informative. I'm moving toward cutting the cord as well. I've been "testing" YouTube TV and it seems to have everything I'm looking for. It allows six accounts per subscription so I just put a Chromecast on each of the TV and we each logging in our own Google accounts to access shows and "DVR" function.

FAKE NEWS - noun /feɪk ˈnuːz/ - Real and actual facts that Donald Trump does not like​

Quote Originally Posted by awpitt View Post
    Thanks for posting. Very informative. I'm moving toward cutting the cord as well. I've been "testing" YouTube TV and it seems to have everything I'm looking for. It allows six accounts per subscription so I just put a Chromecast on each of the TV and we each logging in our own Google accounts to access shows and "DVR" function.
    Two questions.

1. Why do you need a Chromecast for each TV? I am guessing it's because you do NOT have a streaming device per TV?
    2. Have you had - glitches - with your Chromecast? How long have you had your oldest one? I tried to stream a YouTube
    video for my kids, and it kept "popping" so we went with a YouTube streaming channel right on the Roku TV.
    It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds." Teddy Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by SamSpade View Post
    Two questions.

1. Why do you need a Chromecast for each TV? I am guessing it's because you do NOT have a streaming device per TV?

So we can watch something different on each TV. The Chromecasts are my streaming devices. The content comes from whatever I’m casting at the moment.

Two questions.

2. Have you had - glitches - with your Chromecast? How long have you had your oldest one? I tried to stream a YouTube
    video for my kids, and it kept "popping" so we went with a YouTube streaming channel right on the Roku TV.

I have one of the original models and the next newer one and have had no problems.

FAKE NEWS - noun /feɪk ˈnuːz/ - Real and actual facts that Donald Trump does not like​

So we can watch something different on each TV. The Chromecasts are my streaming devices. The content comes from whatever I’m casting at the moment..
    Yeah, this is what bugged me about Chromecast - it doesn't actually stream, it just re-directs from a laptop or phone.
    If it does otherwise, I am not aware of it. I've mostly used it to send videos from things like Facebook so the family can watch.

PERSONALLY - I really like the TCL series of Roku TVs. They are incredibly cheap, and once you're used to the interface, easy to use.
    We have three of them, and two other TVs have the Fire Stick. MUCH prefer the Roku TV.
    It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds." Teddy Roosevelt

Yeah, this is what bugged me about Chromecast - it doesn't actually stream, it just re-directs from a laptop or phone.
    If it does otherwise, I am not aware of it. I've mostly used it to send videos from things like Facebook so the family can watch.

PERSONALLY - I really like the TCL series of Roku TVs. They are incredibly cheap, and once you're used to the interface, easy to use.
    We have three of them, and two other TVs have the Fire Stick. MUCH prefer the Roku TV.
    Actually, I like that flexibility. I can use whatever (phone, tablet, PC) to stream whatever (YouTube TV, Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc) via the Chromecasts. I'm not tied to whatever is built into the device. And with YouTube TV, my TVs are just like having CATV.

Actually, I like that flexibility. I can use whatever (phone, tablet, PC) to stream whatever (YouTube TV, Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc) via the Chromecasts. I'm not tied to whatever is built into the device. And with YouTube TV, my TVs are just like having CATV.
    (shrug)

I'm one of those people who - while watching a movie or show at home - is on his phone or laptop looking stuff up, especially
    to answer "where have we seen him before?". My wife is REALLY good at that - we'll watch an old movie, and she'll perk up and say
    omigosh, do you KNOW who that is?

(shrug)

I'm one of those people who - while watching a movie or show at home - is on his phone or laptop looking stuff up, especially
    to answer "where have we seen him before?". My wife is REALLY good at that - we'll watch an old movie, and she'll perk up and say
    omigosh, do you KNOW who that is?
    I tend to do the same thing and can since not all of my devices are tied up in order to watch TV

I tend to do the same thing and can since not all of my devices are tied up in order to watch TV
    We were watching Criminal Minds yesterday and I piped up "wow, that's Penelope Ann Miller - Kindergarten Cop lady?".

Gone was the button nose and pouty lips - but her voice had not changed at all. I knew immediately it was her.

*SOMETIMES* if you listen carefully - especially on animations - you can almost catch a joke or two in the dialogue
    when a line will refer to a role by someone who's doing the voice.

Members who have read this thread: 54