westlake high threats of violence

DannyMotorcycle

another one

December 5, 2018

Dear Parents/Guardians;

I am writing to keep you informed of a serious issue at Westlake High School. Yesterday, I wrote to you about two possible threats to school safety — one written on a piece of paper in the girls’ bathroom and another that students reported they received via text message. Today, a student reported a third threat was written on a stall door in a boys’ bathroom. All three threats imply someone plans to bring weapons to Westlake to harm students. The threats are planned for three different days.

I want to update you on how we are handling these threats, all of which are being taken seriously and thoroughly investigated. Westlake’s administrators and School Resource Officer have gone to great lengths to investigate all possible threats to school safety. Officers from the Charles County Sheriff’s Office are reviewing video footage and following up on a number of tips we have received. At this time, there is no evidence that the threats are credible.

Over the next few days, members of Westlake’s administration, School Resource Officers and the Director of School Safety and Security will visit classes and speak with all students. We will go over the dangers of making threats, the disruption they cause and the severe consequences for anyone identified as having posted a threat to the safety of our school. Charles County Public Schools (CCPS) is requesting that law enforcement charge and prosecute any person who threatens the safety of students or staff at any school. We will also impose the maximum school disciplinary consequences allowed, even if the threat is made as a joke.

Parents, we need your help. Please talk with your children about the implications of making threats and encourage them to report information they might have to you or an adult at school.
We are also asking that students and parents refrain from reposting these threats on social media. There are a number of ways students can report information. The best option is to tell a trusted adult, but students can report anonymously through the Crime Solvers Tip Box at school, on the CCPS website at https://www.ccboe.com/index.php/see-something-say-something or by calling the school system’s tip hotline at 301-302-8305.

We are also holding a safety and security meeting for parents at 7 p.m., Tuesday, Dec. 11 at Westlake. The CCPS Director of School Safety and Security and Westlake administrators will give a brief update on the investigation into the most recent threats and provide school safety and security information. We will also answer any questions you might have.

CCPS works closely with the Charles County Sheriff’s Office to help keep schools safe and secure every day. Through the SRO program, sworn police officers work with the school administrative staff on a daily basis to enhance safety at Westlake.

We plan to open school for a regular school day on all three days listed in the most recent threats. We understand situations such as this are concerning to parents, students and staff. We will have additional officers on campus as a precaution. We will continue to work in partnership with law enforcement to maintain a safe learning atmosphere at Westlake.

Thank you for your help in this matter and I look forward to seeing you Tuesday evening at the parent meeting.

Sincerely,

Diane Roberts
Principal

RodRugg

This is so crazy and unbelievable these days. My grandma says they never had to worry about stuff like this back when she was in school. She says the only time kids got hurt back then was when they sassed the teacher or didn't do their homework. The only bad thing she ever remembers happening was one time when the preacher's son attacked some kid with a cropper's scythe for calling his sister a crumb. Another time some kid threatened to poison the water supply with tapeworms.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
This is so crazy and unbelievable these days. My grandma says they never had to worry about stuff like this back when she was in school. She says the only time kids got hurt back then was when they sassed the teacher or didn't do their homework. The only bad thing she ever remembers happening was one time when the preacher's son attacked some kid with a cropper's scythe for calling his sister a crumb. Another time some kid threatened to poison the water supply with tapeworms.

Different times, Rod ole boy...different times. ;-) :yay: