SpaceX "loses" one.

glhs837

Power with Control
Cliff notes:

SpaceXs 16th supply run to the ISS launched perfectly, Cargo Dragon capsule looks to be good to go, will arrive at the ISS on schedule with all cargo intact. So, in that sense, mission success.

But the return and landing of the Falcon 9 Block Five first stage capsule to a landing back and Cape Canveral? Well, that was a good news/bad news story.

Good News: Everything was going well until seconds away from landing.

Bad News: Thats when one of the hydraulic motors that power the "grid fins" that along with steering from the rocket nozzles, allow the rocket to land itself, packed it in and stopped working........

Good news: Even with that handicap, the rocket was able to regain an amazing amount of control.

Bad news: Not enough to make it to a safe landing.

Good news: Enough, however, that it was able to deploy it's landing legs set itself down, still upright, in the water just off the Cape, then gently tip over

Even More News: Gently enough that is was still sending telemetry even after laying down in the water .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gYDHmcCztc

Not sure if it landed in the water becuase it's been told to not try a solid surface landing it it's unsure, or if it didnt have enough energy to get there. But I am pretty sure if it had a solid surface under it, it would have safely landed. Most likely, the math of possibly blowing up a landing site, of which they only have three on land has been deemed worse than loosing a booster, losing schedule and launch cadence costing more than a booster.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Pretty amazing stuff regardless....If I was 20 years younger I'd be knocking on their door asking for a job.

glhs837

Power with Control
Can't win em all.

Nope, the magic is in making sure you lose well when you do. In car terms, that's called picking your best crash. :) That's that amazing part to me, that the rocket never quit, it kept fighting for the "best crash". Watching the live feed, we got to see the start of the spin, and it was obvious that something was very wrong. Then the feed cut and the guy on the camera immediately started talking up the "Remember, mission success is getting the Dragon to the ISS."

Someone called out Musk for the video cutoff right away and he said they will not do that anymore. Honestly, the video is far better than I expected, cant wait for the real feeds, not from the causeway a couple miles away.

h3mech

Cliff notes:

SpaceXs 16th supply run to the ISS launched perfectly, Cargo Dragon capsule looks to be good to go, will arrive at the ISS on schedule with all cargo intact. So, in that sense, mission success.

But the return and landing of the Falcon 9 Block Five first stage capsule to a landing back and Cape Canveral? Well, that was a good news/bad news story.

Good News: Everything was going well until seconds away from landing.

Bad News: Thats when one of the hydraulic motors that power the "grid fins" that along with steering from the rocket nozzles, allow the rocket to land itself, packed it in and stopped working........

Good news: Even with that handicap, the rocket was able to regain an amazing amount of control.

Bad news: Not enough to make it to a safe landing.

Good news: Enough, however, that it was able to deploy it's landing legs set itself down, still upright, in the water just off the Cape, then gently tip over

Even More News: Gently enough that is was still sending telemetry even after laying down in the water .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gYDHmcCztc

Not sure if it landed in the water becuase it's been told to not try a solid surface landing it it's unsure, or if it didnt have enough energy to get there. But I am pretty sure if it had a solid surface under it, it would have safely landed. Most likely, the math of possibly blowing up a landing site, of which they only have three on land has been deemed worse than loosing a booster, losing schedule and launch cadence costing more than a booster.

stuff happens !!

glhs837

Power with Control
So Musk has said that since landing isn't mission critical, you sometimes have single point failure items in systems used soley for that portion. A single hydraulic motor for each grid fin is one of these items. He also said they might double those up.