1 Chronicles 2 Not that one

seekeroftruth

1 Chronicles 2:42 The sons of Caleb the brother of Jerahmeel:

Mesha his firstborn, who was the father of Ziph, and his son Mareshah, who was the father of Hebron.

43 The sons of Hebron:

Korah, Tappuah, Rekem and Shema. 44 Shema was the father of Raham, and Raham the father of Jorkeam. Rekem was the father of Shammai. 45 The son of Shammai was Maon, and Maon was the father of Beth Zur.

46 Caleb’s concubine Ephah was the mother of Haran, Moza and Gazez. Haran was the father of Gazez.

47 The sons of Jahdai:

Regem, Jotham, Geshan, Pelet, Ephah and Shaaph.

48 Caleb’s concubine Maakah was the mother of Sheber and Tirhanah. 49 She also gave birth to Shaaph the father of Madmannah and to Sheva the father of Makbenah and Gibea. Caleb’s daughter was Aksah. 50 These were the descendants of Caleb.

The sons of Hur the firstborn of Ephrathah:

Shobal the father of Kiriath Jearim, 51 Salma the father of Bethlehem, and Hareph the father of Beth Gader.

52 The descendants of Shobal the father of Kiriath Jearim were:

Haroeh, half the Manahathites, 53 and the clans of Kiriath Jearim: the Ithrites, Puthites, Shumathites and Mishraites. From these descended the Zorathites and Eshtaolites.

54 The descendants of Salma:

Bethlehem, the Netophathites, Atroth Beth Joab, half the Manahathites, the Zorites, 55 and the clans of scribes[j] who lived at Jabez: the Tirathites, Shimeathites and Sucathites. These are the Kenites who came from Hammath, the father of the Rekabites.[k]

i. 1 Chronicles 2:42 The meaning of the Hebrew for this phrase is uncertain.
j. 1 Chronicles 2:55 Or of the Sopherites
k. 1 Chronicles 2:55 Or father of Beth Rekab

I guess not every name had a significant name after a while. At first the names all had meanings... like "gift" or "my sorrow". Wouldn't it make sense though.... after you've had so children wouldn't you run out of those "meaningful names" and just call out the first thing that comes to mind?

This is from the easy English site.

The Manahathites were the people who lived in the city called Manahath. Half of them were descendants of Shobal and the rest were descendants of Salma. The Ithrites, the Puthites, the Shumathites and the Mishraites were families who lived in the town called Kiriath Jearim. The Zorathites were a family who lived in the town called Zorah. Zorah was in the area that belonged to the tribe of Dan. The Eshtaolites lived in Eshtaol town that was in Judah. The Netophathites lived in Netophath town. Netophath was near Bethlehem in Judah. The Zorites is another name for the Zorathites. The Tirathites, the Shimeathites and the Sucathites were people that lived in the town called Jabez in Judah. The Kenites were a group of people who travelled round. But later they lived in Judah.

Here are lists of Caleb’s family. Many of these men gave their names to towns and cities in Judah. The Kenites were not Israelites but here they have come into the tribe of Judah .​

Still looking for more than a map here.... this is from Bible-studytools.com.

42. the sons of Caleb--(compare 1 Chronicles 2:18 1 Chronicles 2:25 ). The sons here noticed were the fruit of his union with a third wife.

55. the families of the scribes--either civil or ecclesiastical officers of the Kenite origin, who are here classed with the tribe of Judah, not as being descended from it, but as dwelling within its territory, and in a measure incorporated with its people.

Jabez--a place in Judah ( 1 Chronicles 4:9 ).

Kenites that came of Hemath--who settled in Judah, and were thus distinguished from another division of the Kenite clan which dwelt in Manasseh ( Judges 4:11 ).​

OK there's the drama. I know... it's a list.... but in that list are people who are going to come back into the story... and I'm trying to learn about those people who are always causing so much drama over there in the middle east.

First of all.... this Caleb is not the one that was with Moses. This Caleb is not one of the people who went to explore the Promised Land. That Caleb was the son of son of Jephunneh (Numbers 13:6). This Caleb is the son of Hezron.

It's also nice to note that these are all founding fathers. Towns were named after a lot of these men... where's the drama in that? Well it's in the part about the Kenites. The father-in-law of Moses was a Kenite. He helped Moses and a lot of Kenites lived in the same areas as the Israelites.

I found this at gotquestions.org.

Moses’ father-in-law, Jethro, also known as Reuel, was “the priest of Midian” and a Kenite (Judges 1:16). Jethro lived south of Canaan near Mount Sinai (Exodus 3:1). When Moses fled from Egypt, he went to Midian, where he right away met Jethro’s seven daughters, all shepherdesses. Moses eventually wed one of them, a woman named Zipporah (Exodus 2:16–21) and thus married into the Kenite tribe. Moses lived among the Kenites for many years before God called him as the one to deliver the Israelites from their enslavement in Egypt.

It seems that the Kenites in Midian knew enough about the one true God to maintain a priest. The name Reuel means “friend of God.” After the exodus, Reuel’s knowledge of God dramatically increased, and he joined Moses and Aaron in bringing a burnt sacrifice and other offerings before the Lord to worship Him (Exodus 18:9–12).

It is probable that the Kenites and the Midianites were related in some way. Reuel lived in Midian when Moses met him. Also, in Numbers 10:29, Moses’ father-in-law is called “Reuel the Midianite” (elsewhere, he is called a Kenite). Scripture also links the Kenites to the tribe of the Rekabites (1 Chronicles 2:55).​

I read The History of Chesapeake Ranch Estates a few years ago. It included some history on the settlement of Southern Maryland. My own family is involved in the settlement of St. Mary's county. The Athey's came over with the Dents as indentured. People were offered land in exchange for a defined number of years labor. My great great whatever grandfather was, of course, an Irish bodyguard. One of my ancestors way back then was a Primitive Baptist preacher...

The people of Southern Maryland fought. There were Catholics and Protestants. There were also Native Americans. Much like the people who lived in the Middle East way back when... there were inhabitants, good cousins and poopy cousins.

The holidays are here... hug your good cousins... hug and kiss your poopy cousins... you'll be surprised. I'm sure Cap'n Athey was just as feisty as Pastor Athey. Oh I'm getting preachy again... trying to avoid drama...

:coffee: