Thread: Global CO2 Emissions Spike, Despite Paris Climate Pledges

Global CO2 Emissions Spike, Despite Paris Climate Pledges

According to the Global Carbon Project, which monitors this, global CO2 emissions climbed by 1.6% last year. They are on track to shoot up by 2.7% this year. That's after three years of annual emissions remaining flat.

Wait a minute. The accelerating growth in carbon emissions came after some 200 countries signed the Paris agreement?

At the time, Barack Obama called the Paris agreement "an enduring agreement that reduces global carbon pollution and sets the world on a course to a low-carbon future. "

It "sends a powerful signal that the world is firmly committed to a low-carbon future," Obama said. He even called the agreement "a turning point for the world."

Right.

The reality is that nations need energy to grow. And the best and most economical forms of energy are oil, natural gas and coal.

Climate Hoax: Global CO2 Emissions Spike, Despite Paris Climate Pledges
    We’re tempted to suggest a conspiracy here — but it’s just liberals agreeing yet again that conservatives have hidden, evil motives, because modern liberals simply can’t conceive of any other reason to disagree with the liberal consensus.

“Moral precepts are constant through the ages and not obedient to circumstances.”

So, I don't get what the point of this is.

What are the consequences of failing to live up to an international agreement? Everyone else blows raspberries at them?

There's no downside. I've stated for decades that when there's no consequence for bad behavior, there's no need to change it.
    Everyone gets to hold hands, sing a little kumbaya, and agree to play nice - and they go back home and - well - do nothing.

So which is worse - doing the hand-holding and breaking a promise - or not doing the hand-holding and not making the promise?
    It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds." Teddy Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by SamSpade View Post

What are the consequences of failing to live up to an international agreement? Everyone else blows raspberries at them?

There's no downside. I've stated for decades that when there's no consequence for bad behavior, there's no need to change it.
    Everyone gets to hold hands, sing a little kumbaya, and agree to play nice - and they go back home and - well - do nothing.

So which is worse - doing the hand-holding and breaking a promise - or not doing the hand-holding and not making the promise?
    The hand holders are rejoicing in the US backing out. They get to do nothing yet blame the entire climate thing on the big bad Trumpy United States. Screw them when they do something we will do something.
    Being a left-handed conservative is tough. When somebody calls me a lefty I want to punch them.

Quote Originally Posted by limblips View Post
    Screw them when they do something we will do something.
    Except that...we ARE the one major industrial power with the great track record in greenhouse gas reductions. We have already done a lot about it. That garbage accord was never about us reducing anything except our national bank account..it was simply a vehicle for Barry to pursue his One World goals and shovel buttloads of US taxpayer dollars to "developing countries".
    "I've got to start eating at home more" - J. Dahmer

Quote Originally Posted by SamSpade View Post
    Carbon Trading Tax Credits .... aka wealth transfer to 3rd world countries - paying them not to industrialize
    We’re tempted to suggest a conspiracy here — but it’s just liberals agreeing yet again that conservatives have hidden, evil motives, because modern liberals simply can’t conceive of any other reason to disagree with the liberal consensus.

“Moral precepts are constant through the ages and not obedient to circumstances.”

Members who have read this thread: 13