Global CO2 Emissions Spike, Despite Paris Climate Pledges

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
According to the Global Carbon Project, which monitors this, global CO2 emissions climbed by 1.6% last year. They are on track to shoot up by 2.7% this year. That's after three years of annual emissions remaining flat.

Wait a minute. The accelerating growth in carbon emissions came after some 200 countries signed the Paris agreement?

At the time, Barack Obama called the Paris agreement "an enduring agreement that reduces global carbon pollution and sets the world on a course to a low-carbon future. "

It "sends a powerful signal that the world is firmly committed to a low-carbon future," Obama said. He even called the agreement "a turning point for the world."

Right.

The reality is that nations need energy to grow. And the best and most economical forms of energy are oil, natural gas and coal.

Climate Hoax: Global CO2 Emissions Spike, Despite Paris Climate Pledges

SamSpade

So, I don't get what the point of this is.

What are the consequences of failing to live up to an international agreement? Everyone else blows raspberries at them?

There's no downside. I've stated for decades that when there's no consequence for bad behavior, there's no need to change it.
Everyone gets to hold hands, sing a little kumbaya, and agree to play nice - and they go back home and - well - do nothing.

So which is worse - doing the hand-holding and breaking a promise - or not doing the hand-holding and not making the promise?

limblips

PREMO Member
So, I don't get what the point of this is.

What are the consequences of failing to live up to an international agreement? Everyone else blows raspberries at them?

There's no downside. I've stated for decades that when there's no consequence for bad behavior, there's no need to change it.
Everyone gets to hold hands, sing a little kumbaya, and agree to play nice - and they go back home and - well - do nothing.

So which is worse - doing the hand-holding and breaking a promise - or not doing the hand-holding and not making the promise?

The hand holders are rejoicing in the US backing out. They get to do nothing yet blame the entire climate thing on the big bad Trumpy United States. Screw them when they do something we will do something.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Screw them when they do something we will do something.

Except that...we ARE the one major industrial power with the great track record in greenhouse gas reductions. We have already done a lot about it. That garbage accord was never about us reducing anything except our national bank account..it was simply a vehicle for Barry to pursue his One World goals and shovel buttloads of US taxpayer dollars to "developing countries".

SamSpade

Well they all patted each other on the back yesterday as they agreed on how they will report their emissions.

This is all Belling the Cat. They all want to do it, and sneer at the U.S.
But they won't step up and bell the cat.