Thread: What kind of ham am I looking for?

What kind of ham am I looking for?

My kids have requested ham for Christmas dinner instead of the usual turkey (or pizza depending on my frazzled scale).

I know for certain that I don't want spiral cut or honeyed, canned or smoked or something that's already cooked that I can just heat up - we had that last year and I threw it out the next day. I'm looking to fix the kind of ham that I think has a bone in it and the slices are kinda dark pinkish in color and it can be sliced thick maybe a little rounded and you can use the bone and the chunks that remain in navy bean soup. It also tastes good with ketchup.

Anyone? TlA!

I previously have ordered mine from McKays in Leonardtown, but I ordered only half a ham with the bone included. A whole ham is a very large piece of meat. Their staff has been patient with my questions every single time and I got exactly what I wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by SailorGirl View Post
    My kids have requested ham for Christmas dinner instead of the usual turkey (or pizza depending on my frazzled scale).

I know for certain that I don't want spiral cut or honeyed, canned or smoked or something that's already cooked that I can just heat up - we had that last year and I threw it out the next day. I'm looking to fix the kind of ham that I think has a bone in it and the slices are kinda dark pinkish in color and it can be sliced thick maybe a little rounded and you can use the bone and the chunks that remain in navy bean soup. It also tastes good with ketchup.

Anyone? TlA!
    Sounds like you are looking for a country ham AKA Virginia ham or Smithfield ham. Preserved with a dry salt rub and a more intense flavor but much more salty than a brine cured ham.

Name:  DSC03276.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  54.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    Name:  DSC03276.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  54.9 KB
    It's either that or sliced ham from a deli...

"Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever." - Shane Falco

Quote Originally Posted by jazz lady View Post
    Sounds like you are looking for a country ham AKA Virginia ham or Smithfield ham. Preserved with a dry salt rub and a more intense flavor but much more salty than a brine cured ham.
    ...except that she mentioned "slice thick". Country ham is always sliced fairly thin..."shaved" even. But it's the absolute best ham to make bean soup with, IMHO, so there is that.

Speaking of...will be pulling one down to soak soon. Mmmmm... I used to salt-cure my own up until about 10 years ago. We don't process that many hogs any more. I found a place that cures theirs exactly like I did mine and we buy from them. I can't stand Smithfield's products; spoiled from a lifetime of doing it right "down on the farm" I guess...

https://cliftyfarm.com/product-category/country-ham/
    Last edited by Gilligan; 12-07-2018 at 04:39 PM.
    "I've got to start eating at home more" - J. Dahmer

Buy a half corned ham. Wrap it in foil and bake 350 for 20 min. per pound. Check the bone, when it wiggles it is done. Because it is a raw ham it will take awhile to cook, giving you plenty of time to relax and prepare the side dishes. I have also used a corned ham to boil with cabbage and potatoes for St. Patrick's dinner. They should be on sale before Christmas.

If what I say offends you then you really don't want to hear what I keep to myself.

Members who have read this thread: 48