Bryce Harper

Grumpy

Yesterday's interview with Mark Lerner

"Well, when we met with them and we gave them the offer, we told them, 'This is the best we can do.' We went right to the finish line very quickly,' Lerner said. "And we said, 'If this is of interest to you, please come back to us and we'll see whether we can finish it up.' But we just couldn't afford to put more than that in and still be able to put a team together that had a chance to win the NL East or go farther than that."

Added Lerner: "If he comes back [to the negotiating table], it's a strong possibility that we won't be able to make it work. But I really don't expect him to come back at this point. I think they've decided to move on. There's just too much money out there that he'd be leaving on the table. That's just not [agent Scott] Boras' MO to leave money on the table."

Blister

Why would anyone with better options choose to work/live in DC/MD/VA for less money and higher taxes. From Nevada, no real ties to the DC area. He has a relatively short time to make a lifetime of income.

Grumpy

Why would anyone with better options choose to work/live in DC/MD/VA for less money and higher taxes. From Nevada, no real ties to the DC area. He has a relatively short time to make a lifetime of income.

1) Nevada has no team
2) Philly, NYC, St Louis are so much better??
3) He's already set for life, moneywise.

I wish him well where ever he goes. The impact on the Nats of him leaving here will be minimal, IMO.

Grumpy

They all have rings. Nats/Expos never even close.

Okay, I get it, you're one of those fans that put away your Astros / Patriot gear in favor of your RedSox / Eagles gear in the past year. Probably was hard for you to stock up on Cap's gear this past spring. :yay:

Blister

No just a casual sports watcher that likes the games for what they are. Incredible athletes performing at a high level. I like most sports in their season. Don't wear any teams gear. Constantly amazed by grownups perpetually stuck in high school home team fan mode.

donbarzini

Posted this list on my Facebook page on Nov 7th.

Machado-Mets
Harper-Angels
Corbin-Yankees-Wrong-Nationals
Brantley-Braves
Kimbrel-Red Sox
Keuchel-Brewers
Cruz-Seattle
Eovaldi-Red Sox-Right
Ottavino-Astros
Ramos-Yankees-Wrong-Mets
Grandal-Nationals
Morton-Brewers
Ryu-Phillies
Moustakas-Mets
Pollock-Diamondbacks

Last edited:

Grumpy

Posted this list on my Facebook page on Nov 7th.

Machado-Mets
Harper-Angels
Corbin-Yankees-Wrong-Nationals
Brantley-Braves
Kimbrel-Red Sox
Keuchel-Brewers
Cruz-Seattle
Eovaldi-Red Sox-Right
Ottavino-Astros
Ramos-Yankees
Grandal-Nationals
Morton-Brewers
Ryu-Phillies
Moustakas-Mets
Pollock-Diamondbacks

:yay:

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
I'm showing my age here. Baseball players of my youth(1960s) pretty much stayed their entire careers with 1 team. Yaz, Brooks, Kaline, Bench, Clemente, Schmidt. More recent were Cal Ripken, Larry Jones, Biggio.

Grumpy

I'm showing my age here. Baseball players of my youth(1960s) pretty much stayed their entire careers with 1 team. Yaz, Brooks, Kaline, Bench, Clemente, Schmidt. More recent were Cal Ripken, Larry Jones, Biggio.

As with all sports, but free agency stopped that. Can't blame the players for going for the gold but it's a detriment to a consistent fan base in alot of cases, IMO. Used to be able to name the majority of a players on a team's roster, now I'm lucky to name 10%, It was a simpler time years ago.

BernieP

Resident PIA

Do you remember Curt Flood?

I believe what he challenged in his court case was called the Reserve Clause. It pretty much made the players property of the team they signed with for life, unless they were traded.
What I do know is his case opened the door to free agency and the contracts players now have - well big money from TV has feed the size.

Monello

PREMO Member
Do you remember Curt Flood?

I believe what he challenged in his court case was called the Reserve Clause. It pretty much made the players property of the team they signed with for life, unless they were traded.
What I do know is his case opened the door to free agency and the contracts players now have - well big money from TV has feed the size.

Andy Messersmith was another free agency pioneer. At the time I really didn't care about the nuts & bolts of baseball business. Not that I care much about that today. I did like when you had the same players, more or less, year after year. Build a solid club then add the other pieces through trades or your farm system.

donbarzini

My first crush. I was going to marry either him or Red Skelton. Yes, I was fickle even then. :lol:

Yaz.png

vs

skelton.png

?????

donbarzini

LOL

Yaz was one of the last professional athletes I idolized.
One of my prize possessions is a ball my dad caught at Fenway.
A foul tip off Yaz's bat during a game against the Yankees in 68.

Tony C.jpg
This was my hero growing up. I have one baseball card. His Topps 1969 when he tried his comeback. Bought it at the Inner Harbor for $8. Guy looked at me like: "Dumba$$, the card's only worth $3.". I looked back at him like, "I don't give a ####. I woulda paid $20. A##hole.".

Monello

PREMO Member
View attachment 126159
This was my hero growing up. I have one baseball card. His Topps 1969 when he tried his comeback. Bought it at the Inner Harbor for $8. Guy looked at me like: "Dumba$$, the card's only worth $3.". I looked back at him like, "I don't give a ####. I woulda paid $20. A##hole.".

What could have been. That beaning messed up his vision for sure.