1 Chronicles 3 After Exile

seekeroftruth

1 Chronicles 3:17 The descendants of Jehoiachin the captive:

Shealtiel his son, 18 Malkiram, Pedaiah, Shenazzar, Jekamiah, Hoshama and Nedabiah.

19 The sons of Pedaiah:

Zerubbabel and Shimei.

The sons of Zerubbabel:

Meshullam and Hananiah.

Shelomith was their sister.

20 There were also five others:

Hashubah, Ohel, Berekiah, Hasadiah and Jushab-Hesed.

21 The descendants of Hananiah:

Pelatiah and Jeshaiah, and the sons of Rephaiah, of Arnan, of Obadiah and of Shekaniah.

22 The descendants of Shekaniah:

Shemaiah and his sons:

Hattush, Igal, Bariah, Neariah and Shaphat—six in all.

23 The sons of Neariah:

Elioenai, Hizkiah and Azrikam—three in all.

24 The sons of Elioenai:

Hodaviah, Eliashib, Pelaiah, Akkub, Johanan, Delaiah and Anani—seven in all.​

Throw another turkey on the smoker.... we have more relatives arriving.

Well, there's commentary at the easy English site.

Jehoiachin, whose other name was Jeconiah, went into exile in 597 BC. He was a prisoner of the king of Babylon. He had these 7 sons while he was in exile. A receipt from Babylon for food with a date of 592 BC shows 5 of these sons. The birth of the other two was probably after that date.

Zerubbabel was the son of Pedaiah. But in other parts of the Bible, he was the son of Shealtiel (Ezra 3:2 and 3:8; Haggai 1:1 and 1:12; Matthew 1:12; Luke 3:27). It may be that Shealtiel had no children. When he died his brother Pedaiah took Shealtiel’s widow. It was the custom for them to marry and to have a son for Shealtiel (see Deuteronomy 25:5-6). By this means, the family of Shealtiel could continue through this son Zerubbabel.

Meshullam’s other name was Abiud (Matthew 1:13). The rest of this passage shows the family during the exile and afterwards.

Shemaiah had 6 sons but we have names for 5. The other one probably died as a young child.​

I use to have a house in Gwynn Oak, outside of Baltimore. One of the ladies who lived on that street had quite a set up. She had a dinette set sitting right in her front window. From that perch she could see the whole cul-de-sac, She knew everything about everyone. She was quite snooty too. She made a point of telling me how she thought watching all those soap operas was a waste of time. I guess she had her own soap opera going on. It appears there could be an episode of Antiques Road Show as well as soap opera type happenings in these verses.

First.... I'm not sure I would recognize this as a receipt.... [On a side note... is it me or is this shaped like Texas?]

reciept.jpg

Ok... we proved they ate... lol.... now on to the family drama. Once again we have one guy with two name. Actually it's one guy with two fathers. Jane can have two moms but Zerubbabel has two dads. To the newbie this would be a three paragraph discovery in all the commentaries. Back in Deuteronomy [it's a book of law] this very problem may have been discussed. We have to use the evidence we have.... the commentaries remind us that when a woman lost her husband... her land and her future son.... would become the possession of the brother-in-law.

This is like when Boaz had to go clear up the issues with Naomi's estate before he could swoop in and take Ruth as his bride. He had to move the other possible relatives... willing to be a surrogate for their brother.... out of the picture.

It's also like the problem Tamar had with Onan in Genesis 38. Onan didn't want to sleep with his brother's wife just so his brother could have the honor of having a son. So he decided to be the first to use the withdrawal method [in the Bible]. Shame.... God put him to death for it. Come to think of it... in the history of abortion... Onan knocked on the first door.

How's that for finding family drama in a dry list of names!! This is one old gray haired woman who is thrilled that there is an internet with commentaries.

:coffee: