Revelation 16 EARTHQUAKE!!!!

seekeroftruth

Revelation 16:17 The seventh angel poured out his bowl into the air, and out of the temple came a loud voice from the throne, saying, “It is done!” 18 Then there came flashes of lightning, rumblings, peals of thunder and a severe earthquake. No earthquake like it has ever occurred since mankind has been on earth, so tremendous was the quake. 19 The great city split into three parts, and the cities of the nations collapsed. God remembered Babylon the Great and gave her the cup filled with the wine of the fury of his wrath. 20 Every island fled away and the mountains could not be found. 21 From the sky huge hailstones, each weighing about a hundred pounds,[a] fell on people. And they cursed God on account of the plague of hail, because the plague was so terrible.

a. Revelation 16:21 Or about 45 kilograms

Amazingdiscoveries.org has this commentary.

The 7th Plague—The Destruction of the Wicked: From the “throne” of the “Temple of Heaven” “a great voice” is heard “saying, It is done.” The cup of human guilt has been filled up, the true character of the great city, Babylon, has been unmasked and God’s people have been delivered. Finally the seventh plague destroys the wicked.

As the battle of Armageddon commences, God sends great hail on the wicked, and strikes the entire world with a mighty earthquake that levels whole mountain ranges, causing islands to sink beneath the waves and leaves the cities on the earth in ruins. This earthquake takes place in connection with the return of Christ. Isaiah 2:19-21; Revelation 6:14-17.

“The great city” divides “into three parts” as support for Babylon dries up and the alliances between its members disintegrates.

Babylon is judged and punished for her sins and drinks the “wine of the fierceness of His wrath” to the full.​

As I was reading this... I got the picture of someone cleaning a globe. I can just see God shaking the globe to get all the stubborn stupid humans [who refused Salvation] off so he could start clean.

This is from the easy English site.

The seventh (7th) angel poured out his bowl of God’s anger into the air. This is the last one. The voice of God came from the throne in the temple of heaven. With a loud voice, God shouts that the end has come. With this bowl, he will complete his acts of anger on the earth.

At the sound of God’s voice, the air and the earth seemed to explode. There were flashes of lightning. There were loud crashes of thunder in the skies. And the most powerful earthquake shook the earth. There had not been such a terrible earthquake since God made the earth.

This great earthquake shook the whole world. There had been no earthquake as powerful as this since the world began. Cities all over the world fell and the important city split into three. All the nations on earth suffered the effects of this great earthquake.

The important city that split into three seems to mean Babylon. Babylon was a city on the Euphrates. It was the heart (most important place) of evil practices. Babylon may become powerful again, and perhaps this verse refers to it. But it is more likely that the name Babylon describes another wicked city. This city will be the most important city for religion and trade. Some people believe that Rome will be that city at the time of the end. It was the greatest city in the world at the time when John wrote the Book of Revelation. It would have been dangerous for him to name it then.

God poured out his anger on Babylon as someone would pour out wine. God was so angry that he destroyed that great city.

John writes about the ruin of Babylon in the next two chapters.

Islands sank into the sea. Mountains fell down and disappeared. That earthquake changed the whole surface of the earth.

The storm of God’s anger caused hailstones to fall from the sky. These were like great blocks of ice. Some weighed nearly 100 pounds (45 kilos). Even this did not persuade people to turn to God. Instead, they cursed God for the terrible storm.

The next event after this will be when Christ comes from heaven (Revelation 19:11). The next two and a half chapters give more detail of the events that have just happened.​

In school we learn that the earth is molten in the middle and semi solid on the outside. The outside of the earth , the mantle, has cracks in it.... along those cracks... one part of the mantle shoves up against other parts of the mantle causing volcanoes and earthquakes to erupt. People are so use to these that they have numbers for their severity. I don't think they have a number big enough to describe mountains becoming flat all of a sudden.... we're use to the mountains getting higher all of a sudden... not the other way around!!!

It says that islands will sink.... I don't think it's talking global warming here. This is a sudden event [IMHO]. Title wave or Tsunami seems to be the more likely natural occurrence.

As I'm reading these verses... it's hard for me to picture the results of an earthquake half way around the world. I think of what would be going on at my house. The other day people on facebook were talking about walking on the cliffs. People ignore the warnings and go down the beach looking for fossils in the cliff wall. Tons of debris came off the cliffs once.... and all of a sudden. Anyway... during this online conversation.... I made a comment about in time... the cliffs would continue to wear away until my house is bayfront. When this earthquake happens..... I don't think there will be a bayfront anymore... as we know it.... the cliffs and their endangered bugs will be part of what use to be the bay.... fill dirt.... flat and clear as far as the eye can see.... clean slate.

I think of government.... after a disaster. I was trained for Community Emergency Response Team [CERT]. In the event of an emergency... we are to make sure we are safe... then check on neighbors and report to authorities. There won't be any authorities to report to.... they'll be in the same shape we are. I learned that we should be able to shelter in place for a few days.... well when this earthquake hits... it sounds as though there will be very few places to shelter in and it's going to take more than a few days.

John was on the Island of Patmos. He thought the world was flat... the Roman Government was vicious and wicked.... the church was in shambles.... and he was having visions of The Seventh Bowl of the Seventh Seal.

:coffee:

Last edited: