1 Chronicles 4 A Pain Prayer....

seekeroftruth

1 Chronicles 4:1 The descendants of Judah:

Perez, Hezron, Karmi, Hur and Shobal.

2 Reaiah son of Shobal was the father of Jahath, and Jahath the father of Ahumai and Lahad. These were the clans of the Zorathites.

3 These were the sons[a] of Etam:

Jezreel, Ishma and Idbash. Their sister was named Hazzelelponi. 4 Penuel was the father of Gedor, and Ezer the father of Hushah.

These were the descendants of Hur, the firstborn of Ephrathah and father(b)of Bethlehem.

5 Ashhur the father of Tekoa had two wives, Helah and Naarah.

6 Naarah bore him Ahuzzam, Hepher, Temeni and Haahashtari. These were the descendants of Naarah.

7 The sons of Helah:

Zereth, Zohar, Ethnan, 8 and Koz, who was the father of Anub and Hazzobebah and of the clans of Aharhel son of Harum.

9 Jabez was more honorable than his brothers. His mother had named him Jabez,[c] saying, “I gave birth to him in pain.” 10 Jabez cried out to the God of Israel, “Oh, that you would bless me and enlarge my territory! Let your hand be with me, and keep me from harm so that I will be free from pain.” And God granted his request.​

a. 1 Chronicles 4:3 Some Septuagint manuscripts (see also Vulgate); Hebrew father
b. 1 Chronicles 4:4 Father may mean civic leader or military leader; also in verses 12, 14, 17, 18 and possibly elsewhere.
c. 1 Chronicles 4:9 Jabez sounds like the Hebrew for pain.

I know... it's a lot of verses...... It's like walking into a room crowded with second cousins... they look familiar but you don't really recognize any of them. I went to a family reunion once.... everyone was so friendly but I could not remember their names! I remember wishing I could get a program... you know like the ones they sell at the ball parks.... "can't tell the players without a program".

Here's a "program" from the easy English commentary.

Hezron was a son of Perez (2:5). Carmi came from the family of Zerah. He was a son of Zimri and he was the father of Achar (2:7). Hur was a son of Caleb and Ephrathah (2:19). And Shobal was a son of Hur (2:50-51).

The list that follows is of the family from Shobal. They were called the Zorath clan.

We do not know whose son Jabez was. His name is similar to the word for ‘pain’. [/COLOR][/B]His mother gave him that name because of the pain that she had at his birth. He was a good man and people respected him. Jewish tradition says that he was a famous expert in the law. He was a sincere man who trusted in Israel’s God.

We know nothing more about him but we do have this prayer. It shows us how he believed in God. He asked for God’s help. He needed God to act powerfully on his behalf. He asked God to protect him from all danger.

God gave to him what he had asked. God answers the prayers of those people who trust him.​

I wonder... what was it like to grow up with a name that "means pain". I mean I wouldn't want to be called "trouble", "pain", or "headache". This kid's name means "pain". And they don't know who's kid it is.... a "pain from nameless parents"... now that's a rough way to start a life.

Last night I woke in pain. Funny I should find this simple prayer in the verses this morning.... it sounds like the one I prayed on the way to get a couple tylenol. I use to have to take a lot heftier crap. I don't know how many days I drove to work doing percocet for "break through pain". Now... my pain is from arthritis.... and a couple of tylenol every few hours does the trick. I'm here to tell you.... prayer works... It works for me and I know a lot of people who have confessed that it works for them too. Oh and before you go there... Colon Cancer, the surgeries and the chemo.... hurt! Knowing I have cancer and it's hiding somewhere.... hurts! But... a couple tylenol takes care of it all now.

I could turn really really preachy right now....

:coffee: