1 Chronicles 4 Valley of Craftsmen

seekeroftruth

1 Chronicles 4:11 Kelub, Shuhah’s brother, was the father of Mehir, who was the father of Eshton. 12 Eshton was the father of Beth Rapha, Paseah and Tehinnah the father of Ir Nahash.[d] These were the men of Rekah.

13 The sons of Kenaz:

Othniel and Seraiah.

The sons of Othniel:

Hathath and Meonothai.[e] 14 Meonothai was the father of Ophrah.

Seraiah was the father of Joab,

the father of Ge Harashim.[f] It was called this because its people were skilled workers.

15 The sons of Caleb son of Jephunneh:

Iru, Elah and Naam.

The son of Elah:

Kenaz.

16 The sons of Jehallelel:

Ziph, Ziphah, Tiria and Asarel.

17 The sons of Ezrah:

Jether, Mered, Epher and Jalon. One of Mered’s wives gave birth to Miriam, Shammai and Ishbah the father of Eshtemoa. 18 (His wife from the tribe of Judah gave birth to Jered the father of Gedor, Heber the father of Soko, and Jekuthiel the father of Zanoah.) These were the children of Pharaoh’s daughter Bithiah, whom Mered had married.

19 The sons of Hodiah’s wife, the sister of Naham:

the father of Keilah the Garmite, and Eshtemoa the Maakathite.

20 The sons of Shimon:

Amnon, Rinnah, Ben-Hanan and Tilon.

The descendants of Ishi:

Zoheth and Ben-Zoheth.

21 The sons of Shelah son of Judah:

Er the father of Lekah, Laadah the father of Mareshah and the clans of the linen workers at Beth Ashbea, 22 Jokim, the men of Kozeba, and Joash and Saraph, who ruled in Moab and Jashubi Lehem. (These records are from ancient times.) 23 They were the potters who lived at Netaim and Gederah; they stayed there and worked for the king.​

d. 1 Chronicles 4:12 Or of the city of Nahash
e. 1 Chronicles 4:13 Some Septuagint manuscripts and Vulgate; Hebrew does not have and Meonothai.
f. 1 Chronicles 4:14 Ge Harashim means valley of skilled workers

So I went to the easy English commentary again.

Caleb gave his daughter Achsah to be the wife of Othniel (Joshua 15:17). Later the LORD used Othniel to save Israel. He then became the leader of Israel. He was the first judge of Israel (Judges 3:9-10). (Although we call them ‘judges’, these men (and one woman) did not just have legal authority. The judges led Israel before the nation had a king.)

There was a custom for people who had the same occupation to live in the same street or area. So, people with the same skills came together in the valley called Ge Harashim. They were probably workers in wood, iron and stone. The valley called Ge Harashim was near Jerusalem.

Caleb was Kenaz’s brother but Caleb was much older. Caleb was one of the men that Moses sent into the country called Canaan. They went to see what that country was like. All except Caleb and Joshua were afraid and gave a bad report of the country (Numbers chapters 13 to 14).

Mered’s wife Bithiah was a daughter of the king of Egypt. Her name means ‘daughter of Yahweh.’ ‘Yahweh’ is the same word as ‘the LORD’; it is the name of Israel’s God. This seems to show that she left the gods of Egypt in order to serve the real God.

This passage shows the custom for a family to continue the same occupation. The family of Mareshah made clothes from linen. And the family of Saraph made pots.

It seems the prayer of Jabez got all the commentary. These blue collar workers and blue blooded wives don't make the family gossip list.

I found this commentary at Biblestudytools.org.

That here is a whole family of craftsmen, handicraft tradesmen, that applied themselves to all sorts of manufactures, in which they were ingenious and industrious above their neighbours. There was a valley where they lived which was, from them, called the valley of craftsmen. Those that are craftsmen are not therefore to be looked upon as mean men. These craftsmen, though two of a trade often disagree, yet chose to live together, for the improving of arts by comparing notes, and that they might support one another’s reputation. 2. That one of these married the daughter of Pharaoh, which was the common name of the kings of Egypt. If an Israelite in Egypt before the bondage began, while Joseph’s merits were yet fresh in mind, was preferred to be the king’s son-in-law, it is not to be thought strange: few Israelites could, like Moses, refuse an alliance with the court. 3. That another is said to be the father of the house of those that wrought fine linen, v. 21. It is inserted in their genealogy as their honour that they were the best weavers in the kingdom, and they brought up their children, from one generation to another, to the same business, not aiming to make them gentlemen. This Laadah is said to be the father of those that wrought fine linen, as before the flood Jubal is said to be the father of musicians and Jabal of shepherds, etc. His posterity inhabited the city of Mareshah, the manufacture or staple commodity of which place was linen-cloth, with which their kings and priests were clothed.

I'm glad I'm not planning on going Christmas shopping at Sears or Lowes today. I can just see me standing with arms stretched out proclaiming the tools department "Valley of the Craftsmen". Or if my daughter drug me to Penny's; her eyes would glaze over with that "geez mom really" look she gets; if I told her "in the Bible it says it's in their "genes" to make fine linen".

:coffee: